Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    just got a g2 touch (unlocked) using my o2 PAYG chip (with unlimited web&text ) until tomorrow/day after where i'll go for a simplicity or t-mobile SOLO contract. so excited!

just wondering - do any of you think it's worth rooting the phone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~style)
    And free? TomTom and others will be hating big time.
    You seen their stocks? :P

http://www.google.com/finance?chdnp=...AQ:GRMN&ntsp=0

Since it was announced. Fair play.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nish81)
    just got a g2 touch (unlocked) using my o2 PAYG chip (with unlimited web&text ) until tomorrow/day after where i'll go for a simplicity or t-mobile SOLO contract. so excited!

just wondering - do any of you think it's worth rooting the phone?
    It unlocks certain apps, the only one I use really is PicMe (live stream of image/video of everything on-screen.

The Kernal was just released so I would wait until some real mods come along before doing anything like that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick_000)
    Gensoid works fine. Playing some classic Streets of Rage 2. They seem to have updated the Virtual D-Pad and you can configure the buttons yourself making it actually usable

This is good. Very good. :yep:

Can't wait for Eclair! :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    It unlocks certain apps, the only one I use really is PicMe (live stream of image/video of everything on-screen.

The Kernal was just released so I would wait until some real mods come along before doing anything like that
    cheers - i was looking moreso at the apps2sd app since i really envision eating up a lot of the internal memory with apps - what do you think?

and do you think that rooting the g2 touch/htc hero is risky? i was looking into doing a backup with nandroid but I read that it can only be used if your phone's already rooted..

PS: that's two threads you've helped me on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nish81)
    cheers - i was looking moreso at the apps2sd app since i really envision eating up a lot of the internal memory with apps - what do you think?

and do you think that rooting the g2 touch/htc hero is risky? i was looking into doing a backup with nandroid but I read that it can only be used if your phone's already rooted..

PS: that's two threads you've helped me on
    Apps2SD is pointless on the Hero. It has more than enough internal memory on it for apps and games etc... So long as you have an SDCard for media, you'll be fine/

Rooting is not risky at all, so long as you follow instructions on the web down to the letter! Mine's rooted, though the benefit for me is negligible, it allowed me to get the speed update before Orange got in with it.

Regading backup - look for MyBackup (30 day trial) / MyBackup Pro (bet ya can't guess the difference...). It does a grand job. If I were you though, I'd have all my numbers as Google contacts or none at all...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    Apps2SD is pointless on the Hero. It has more than enough internal memory on it for apps and games etc... So long as you have an SDCard for media, you'll be fine/

Rooting is not risky at all, so long as you follow instructions on the web down to the letter! Mine's rooted, though the benefit for me is negligible, it allowed me to get the speed update before Orange got in with it.

Regading backup - look for MyBackup (30 day trial) / MyBackup Pro (bet ya can't guess the difference...). It does a grand job. If I were you though, I'd have all my numbers as Google contacts or none at all...

cheers..trying to work out syncing from address book to my google contacts as we speak (on a mac). thought i had it, but the numbers dont seem to have gone through

are there any android apps that you particularly recommend? got the ones on the first post already

ReputationRep:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...ke-TomTom.html

Daily Mail are loving it Can't wait. Will it be released for the iPhone though? I imagine Gooogle wouldn't mind charging their users for it.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...ke-TomTom.html

Daily Mail are loving it Can't wait. Will it be released for the iPhone though? I imagine Gooogle wouldn't mind charging their users for it.
    I should hope not :hmmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    I should hope not :hmmm:
    Surely Google would want their software on as many handsets as possible though. With Apple accepting Spotify surely they would accept this too?

ReputationRep:
    It will be, if Apple let Google do it. Can't remember where I read that, but that's the gist of what it said.

ReputationRep:
    It will be, if Apple let Google do it. Can't remember where I read that, but that's the gist of what it said.
    I can't see them refusing. If they refuse it is pushing people into the arms of Android as the whole issue is proved about Android being better for developers. Plus, Apple allowed Spotify which is much of a threat to them than a free Sat Nav.

If Google reserved the app solely for Android phones it would be a great advert for them and would surely increase sales.

ReputationRep:
    If Google reserved the app solely for Android phones it would be a great advert for them and would surely increase sales.
    We'll see with the app. I can't see Android phones not increasing in terms of sales to be honest. They're too good to ignore! :yep:

ReputationRep:
    When it got to the part of caching maps, I was saying ******* win in my head.
    I was thinking that, could be very good but tis a shame that El Goog seem to be messing over the development timeline. The hero has Sense built on the cupcake release of android (1.5), now Donut is out (1.6) but htc is not releasing a donut release and as such is skipping to eclair (2.0). Now I wanted to try my hand at developing my own android app but I am left with a dilema. I can write a cupcake version of the app now but then have to rewrite it again very soon when eclair comes out which is unknown how long htc will take to port senseUI to it. Or I could write an Eclair version of the app but have no way of testing the device to see whether it works or not cos my phone does not have eclair running.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizard710)
    I was thinking that, could be very good but tis a shame that El Goog seem to be messing over the development timeline. The hero has Sense built on the cupcake release of android (1.5), now Donut is out (1.6) but htc is not releasing a donut release and as such is skipping to eclair (2.0). Now I wanted to try my hand at developing my own android app but I am left with a dilema. I can write a cupcake version of the app now but then have to rewrite it again very soon when eclair comes out which is unknown how long htc will take to port senseUI to it. Or I could write an Eclair version of the app but have no way of testing the device to see whether it works or not cos my phone does not have eclair running.
    I see your dilemma, but there is a solution here: http://developer.android.com/sdk/android-2.0.html

good luck - let me know how it goes!

ReputationRep:
    whats better for browsing on the hero...unlimited web or unlimited wifi??

ReputationRep:
    Web, unless you hang out in hotzones 24/7.

ReputationRep:
    problem again..............

god damnit why does this phone hate me. I now can't download from the market

The downloads don't even start i go back into the app and there's no download progress bar at all, just the install button and whatever was there previously as if i didn't even press anything in the first place

ReputationRep:
    I see your dilemma, but there is a solution here: http://developer.android.com/sdk/android-2.0.html

good luck - let me know how it goes!
    I'm going to use the cupcake sdk as that is what I have downloaded but I have to learn java first

ReputationRep:
    I checked my account info from Orange to see how many minutes and data I had left and this is what it says:

minutes
    600 anytime mins minutes remaining : 98:09

data
    500MB Mobile Internet Browsing megabytes remaining : 68.3686
    I'm a bit worried because I haven't used anywhere near 500 minutes or 430MB in 2 days Anyone know what's gone wrong here?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.