Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've bought the SGSII

£399 from O2 on PAYG, bit of a no brainer for me...I'm such a sucker for Samsung phones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigmo7)
    I've bought the SGSII

£399 from O2 on PAYG, bit of a no brainer for me...I'm such a sucker for Samsung phones.
    I'm stuck between that and this contract deal

Contract is 12 months so you can sell the phone after the 12 months for probably £250 minimum and possibly get a free upgrade for a better phone (or use some of that £250) when you renew your contract.

What to do? :confused: (firstworldproblem)

ReputationRep:
    Here Please People Like this Page On Facebook!!! =)

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Androi...06969802668069

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedGuy)
    I'm stuck between that and this contract deal

Contract is 12 months so you can sell the phone after the 12 months for probably £250 minimum and possibly get a free upgrade for a better phone (or use some of that £250) when you renew your contract.

What to do? :confused: (firstworldproblem)
    I went for this one in the end. I'm not using the contract at all but if Quidco/TCB pay out then I'm sorted!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hxecute)
    It looks like the S2 is a big step forward in terms of raw processing power. I think you should go for a dual-core phone, just in case. From the reviews I've read on the S2, a lot of the processing power isn't used, so I think it'll last for a long time in terms of running new software.
    Absolutely; I have a Nexus 1 right now (1ghz, 512mb RAM) and I love the phone, allows me to do everything that I need it to do. The only limitations that I have with using this is the slightly smaller screen (3.7 inches) and the RAM when playing games or trying to watch embedded flash videos.

There are always going to be more powerful phones and devices coming out in the future, however what people don't think about is what matters to YOU. I'm planning on getting the GS2 because it has a very large screen, great processing power, and will be able to do everything I want it to do without me waiting for the phone to load things up.

Video codecs aren't going to get that much more complex, so any phone that can play 1080p is set for many years to come; granted there might be higher resolutions or things of that nature later, but how much can you cram onto a small screen under 5 inches?

But yea to close this up, I agree with what you're saying, and this is why I ended up taking the Atrix back a week after I got it. The phone, on a technical level, is great, however I just didn't need the power at that time. When this thing comes to the states I'll be all over it though.

ReputationRep:
    Samsung Galaxy S vs HTC Desire S vs HTC 7?

Help? I know nothing about smartphones, have never had one before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flo[ProActiv])
    Samsung Galaxy S vs HTC Desire S vs HTC 7?

Help? I know nothing about smartphones, have never had one before.
    First decide if you want Android or WP7. Bear in mind the Galaxy S is nearly a year older than the Desire S and looking at the specs I'd probably opt for the Galaxy S even now. I've never used WP7 so I can't comment on that.

ReputationRep:
    Just ordered a Galaxy S. My only real experience of smartphone interface is owning an ipod touch haha. Will I be pleasantly surprised? Any hints/tips?

ReputationRep:
    Ive been waiting for the galaxy s 2 for ages, still got a htc hero. From reading reviews id think ill go for the samsung galaxy s 2 rather than waiting for the iphone 5, its a very powerful phone and the iphone is expensive, theres also rumours the iphone 5 will look exactly the same but be a bit faster, bid like what they did with the ipad 2.

there are ok deals about but think phones4u have the best offer available with the internet, see here: http://www.comparemobiledeals.com/mo...t&internet=yes where you can compare what the retailers are offering. I think tmobile is the best deal and tmobile uses orange network so has good coverage.

apparently they are in stock as well but it wont be delivered until after the bank holiday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noodles!)
    Just ordered a Galaxy S. My only real experience of smartphone interface is owning an ipod touch haha. Will I be pleasantly surprised? Any hints/tips?
    Did you deliberately get a Galaxy S (for value for money reasons) or were you not aware that it's now an obsolete handset now that the Galaxy S II is out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinkertom)
    Ive been waiting for the galaxy s 2 for ages, still got a htc hero. From reading reviews id think ill go for the samsung galaxy s 2 rather than waiting for the iphone 5, its a very powerful phone and the iphone is expensive, theres also rumours the iphone 5 will look exactly the same but be a bit faster, bid like what they did with the ipad 2.

there are ok deals about but think phones4u have the best offer available with the internet, see here: http://www.comparemobiledeals.com/mo...t&internet=yes where you can compare what the retailers are offering. I think tmobile is the best deal and tmobile uses orange network so has good coverage.

apparently they are in stock as well but it wont be delivered until after the bank holiday.
    My money's on the iPhone 5 actually being an iPhone 4 S, tbh. Good call on getting the SGS II, IMO.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    Did you deliberately get a Galaxy S (for value for money reasons) or were you not aware that it's now an obsolete handset now that the Galaxy S II is out?
    Can't afford a fat lot more than that and it's better than the samsung genio txt I'm sporting at the moment :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Can't afford a fat lot more than that and it's better than the samsung genio txt I'm sporting at the moment :cool:
    No, that's fair enough. I just wanted to check that some shady salesperson hasn't sold you a SGS at almost full whack.

ReputationRep:
    No, that's fair enough. I just wanted to check that some shady salesperson hasn't sold you a SGS at almost full whack.
    Thanks Yeah I can imagine there are many of those around!
    So what's the verdict? Is it as good as the reviews I've seen say it is?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Yeah I can imagine there are many of those around!
    So what's the verdict? Is it as good as the reviews I've seen say it is?
    Yes. It's a very competent smartphone.

ReputationRep:
    My money's on the iPhone 5 actually being an iPhone 4 S, tbh. Good call on getting the SGS II, IMO.
    It was a choice between the samsung galaxy s or the new htc coming out (i forget the name). Hope it turns up on tuesday, heard good things bout it and the reviews are good.

ReputationRep:
    It was a choice between the samsung galaxy s or the new htc coming out (i forget the name). Hope it turns up on tuesday, heard good things bout it and the reviews are good.
    HTC Sensation. I'll be honest, I prefer the SGS II as well.

ReputationRep:
    I love my galaxy s ii

Nothing will beat it at least till the end of the year

ReputationRep:
    Balls! :mad: If Id waited another day before ordering Id have seen that dialaphone are doing the same deal (£20pm, £99 up front) as phones4you but with a free 8GB memory card. http://www.comparemobiledeals.com/mo...t&internet=yes Note to self, dont check deals after ordering.

Friggin' typical, just my luck!

I've already ordered a mem card to so cant be bothered sending them both back. Ah well least it'll be with me in a few days.

ReputationRep:

i'm in the same situation as you, still got a hero and consindering the galaxy s2 but now that the htc sensation is coming out within weeks of the s2, the decision has been made harder.

However don't think that the galaxy s2 is going to be much cheaper than the iphone 5 - if you want an iphone 5, hold out for a few more months because the top of the range androids, especially these days, will cost almost as much

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.