ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T.K.B)
    Right- who likes my sig? :woo:
    Haha love it!

ReputationRep:
    I want my hero now. Gensoid!

Also, when is the Spotify app coming?

ReputationRep:
    Raaahhhh- I need help fellow ''heroes'' lol. Whenever someone rings my phone- theres this blodddyyy tune which the callers could hear lolll....any idea how to turn it off?? Ive been fiddling with settings for a while now- still couldn't find a solution

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick_000)
    I want my hero now. Gensoid!

Also, when is the Spotify app coming?
    Don't get your hopes too high with Gensoid. Virtual D-Pad = Partial fail IMO.

There's an unofficial Spotify app out now, no word on the release of the official one yet.

(Original post by T.K.B)
    Raaahhhh- I need help fellow ''heroes'' lol. Whenever someone rings my phone- theres this blodddyyy tune which the callers could hear lolll....any idea how to turn it off?? Ive been fiddling with settings for a while now- still couldn't find a solution
    Isn't that a service provided by your phone provider?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    Don't get your hopes too high with Gensoid. Virtual D-Pad = Partial fail IMO.

There's an unofficial Spotify app out now, no word on the release of the official one yet.
    Ah damn. I'm tempted to get the G1 because I really want a keyboard but the Hero is too damn sexy.

ReputationRep:
    Ah damn. I'm tempted to get the G1 because I really want a keyboard but the Hero is too damn sexy.
    The virtual keyboard is fantastic for typing on. The predictive texting is the best I've (and my former Apple-loving friends) used.

There's not much I'd use a real keyboard for tbh.

ReputationRep:
    The Hero is effectively the G2 in the eyes of T-Mobile so therefore why would you wana go backwards to something that is relatively out of date compared to the HTC Hero?

Also, mikey do you know what the unofficial spotify is called?
    I just got my Hero a few days ago and its so awesome compared to my old crappy LG Viewty!

the only real gripe I have is that it can't play avi's and watching live bbc channels using the beebplayer is rather pixelated... although hopefully in the future bbc iplayer will support htc hero natively rather than having us use an unofficial player..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IcEmAn911)
    The Hero is effectively the G2 in the eyes of T-Mobile so therefore why would you wana go backwards to something that is relatively out of date compared to the HTC Hero?

Also, mikey do you know what the unofficial spotify is called?
    I just got my Hero a few days ago and its so awesome compared to my old crappy LG Viewty!

the only real gripe I have is that it can't play avi's and watching live bbc channels using the beebplayer is rather pixelated... although hopefully in the future bbc iplayer will support htc hero natively rather than having us use an unofficial player..
    Droidify, but it's been taken from the app store already, as it violated the T&Cs with the artists.

In the future, Android will have full Flash 10 support. This means you can use websites such as iPlayer as you would on a normal PC. This is a feature that iPhones may never be able to do. :p:

It wouldn't surprise me though if an official iPlayer app comes out eventually.

ReputationRep:
    Droidify, but it's been taken from the app store already, as it violated the T&Cs with the artists.

In the future, Android will have full Flash 10 support. This means you can use websites such as iPlayer as you would on a normal PC. This is a feature that iPhones may never be able to do. :p:

It wouldn't surprise me though if an official iPlayer app comes out eventually.
    I heard an official Spotify version for Android is coming out before the end of this year!! But I saw that with the iPhone version to be able to use you have to have a premium subscription which may be the same for Android!!!

The sooner the better I'd say with Flash 10!!! I've also heard that HTC are working on a new firmware to help reduce the lag..

ReputationRep:
    Upcoming HTC Hero Update Removes Lag [VIDEO]

ReputationRep:
    I heard it comes out this thursday!

ReputationRep:
    The irony is that the video, for me, is lagging... :p:

I cannot wait for this! Even better Hero = Win!

ReputationRep:
    Android is getting more popular. We have 3 devices on the market running this OS so far, with many more touted between now and mid 2010.

I'd like to see this thread become the hub for Android discussion. We talk apps and games, provide support when needed and ***** about the iPhone and it's Apple governed market place! :p:

Update 1: Recommended apps. and games

The market place is small at the moment, but will get bigger and better over time. If you've got a recommendation, let me know and I'll put it up here!

APNDroid - Useful app to turn off EDGE/3G/HSDPA. Worried about using too much data? This app will stop all net comms. unless you are on wifi.

NEW ENRTY Album Art Grabber - This 99p app will download all the album art for your music to work in the media player. Works really well, even gets obscure titles. Mistakes can be corrected from the online database or from SD Card.
    You should add the following:
    Skype - Useful for making calls over the internet as well as free skype-to-skype calls!!

NetCounter - To help keep track of your data usage and can prove to be very useful for individuals who have a monthly data usage cap.

Barcode Scanner - Useful for cross comparing items over the internet in order to seek a better deal

TasKiller - For killing apps and freeing up memory

ReputationRep:
    Skype - Useful for making calls over the internet as well as free skype-to-skype calls!!

NetCounter - To help keep track of your data usage and can prove to be very useful for individuals who have a monthly data usage cap.

Barcode Scanner - Useful for cross comparing items over the internet in order to seek a better deal

Done. Good shout on taskiller. I use a similar app myself, really good idea.

Speaking fo which - does anybody know how to make sure the browser closes on exit, rather than just hide?

ReputationRep:

Do they actually have an official skype app on android market?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~style)
    Do they actually have an official skype app on android market?
    Yup but it's still classed as beta..

ReputationRep:
    Speaking fo which - does anybody know how to make sure the browser closes on exit, rather than just hide?
    You can't and don't need to, since android will close it automatically when it needs the memory. The disadvantage of this system is some 3rd party apps don't just sit there idly, so that's when an app like taskiller is needed.

In terms of reccomended apps, Hullomail is fantastic. I means you don't have to ring up to get your voicemail (instead you can get an mp3 of it emailed to you, and a text message saying you've got a voicemail.) This is particuarly useful for people on T-Mobile contracts since normally voicemail isn't included in your minutes so costs extra, but with Hullo mail it's a call divert system and thus all your voicemail retrieval is within your minutes.

Also beebplayer is good for viewing bbc iplayer, though the quality isn't very good (and even worse if you put it on the 3G setting)

Shopsavvy is great to compare prices. And an app called ASTRO is a brilliant file explorer.

(I own a Hero btw )

ReputationRep:

Is it any good? Cos the reviews and rating for it seems to be pretty poor
    I'll give it a try anyways and check.

ReputationRep:
    Why is there no iPlayer for the HTC Hero? :mad2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArkhamAsylum)
    Why is there no iPlayer for the HTC Hero? :mad2:
    Because Flash 10 isn't yet released yet (October), but you can use a third party app. Beebplayer even though the quality isn't excellent but is do-able!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.