Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I need your help for my college poject on power consumption of a smartphones(possibly android). You could help me by completing a simple survey about power consumption monitor for your smartphones.

Please click the link to survey hosted at Google Forms
    https://spreadsheets.google.com/view...BxeGc6MQ#gid=0

Regards,
    dertimyan

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dertimyan)
    Hi guys,

I need your help for my college poject on power consumption of a smartphones(possibly android). You could help me by completing a simple survey about power consumption monitor for your smartphones.

Please click the link to survey hosted at Google Forms
    https://spreadsheets.google.com/view...BxeGc6MQ#gid=0

Regards,
    dertimyan
    Kinda odd to have "never" in the middle.

But completed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    Root it and use a tool like Root Explorer to delete /system/media/audio/ui/camera_click.ogg
    I'm new to Android but I'm told if I Root Kit/it my phone it'll lose automatic updates and stuff from my phone operator and manufacture, O2/Samsung. And someone else tells me it voids warranty and could turn my phone into a brick.

I like the idea of automatic updates and I have no idea where to start with rooting a phone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    Kinda odd to have "never" in the middle.

But completed.
    I m new to google form, so left it as it is.. Thank you very much. ur input is truly appreciated..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dertimyan)
    I m new to google form, so left it as it is.. Thank you very much. ur input is truly appreciated..
    I wasn't sure about the "What cloud service providers have you used"

I THINK Catch Notes/Catch.com would count.
    But I didn't add it in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    I wasn't sure about the "What cloud service providers have you used"

I THINK Catch Notes/Catch.com would count.
    But I didn't add it in.
    yes it does count.. No worries.. i'll make note of that separately. anyways thanks for sharing..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nalced)
    I'm new to Android but I'm told if I Root Kit/it my phone it'll lose automatic updates and stuff from my phone operator and manufacture, O2/Samsung. And someone else tells me it voids warranty and could turn my phone into a brick.

I like the idea of automatic updates and I have no idea where to start with rooting a phone.
    It depends on how you do it and whether or not you mess the phone up. Most phones have a "1 click root" program or something that allows you to root the phone within seconds/minutes. I remember back when I first rooted my Captivate it took me a while because I wanted to get everything right. I had to do a method that required pushing of a file then restarting in recovery... god that was bad (first time anyway lol). You have it easy now.

As for the breaking part, it doesn't really happen. If you follow the directions and don't do anything stupid, you should be fine; even then if you need to send the phone back or get it fixed, you can just unroot and go back to stock. Rooting/unrooting does not alter the files on the phone in any way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Young Spade)
    It depends on how you do it and whether or not you mess the phone up. Most phones have a "1 click root" program or something that allows you to root the phone within seconds/minutes. I remember back when I first rooted my Captivate it took me a while because I wanted to get everything right. I had to do a method that required pushing of a file then restarting in recovery... god that was bad (first time anyway lol). You have it easy now.

As for the breaking part, it doesn't really happen. If you follow the directions and don't do anything stupid, you should be fine; even then if you need to send the phone back or get it fixed, you can just unroot and go back to stock. Rooting/unrooting does not alter the files on the phone in any way.
    Is the unrooting as easy as un-jailbreaking iphones?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by itsmyname)
    I've never done it but I think you just install an unrooted ROM (update file).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itsmyname)
    Well if the phone has a "1 click root" option there's probably a "1 click unroot" option. However if you don't have those options you can do it the "long" way which requires copying a folder to the root of the phone, restarting in recovery mode (volume buttons and power button when starting) and loading the file from there.

it's extremely easy either way and you can do it all within 10 minutes. If you're interested just head over to XDA developers and find the phone and a tutorial; there are a plethora of good ones there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Young Spade)
    Well if the phone has a "1 click root" option there's probably a "1 click unroot" option. However if you don't have those options you can do it the "long" way which requires copying a folder to the root of the phone, restarting in recovery mode (volume buttons and power button when starting) and loading the file from there.

it's extremely easy either way and you can do it all within 10 minutes. If you're interested just head over to XDA developers and find the phone and a tutorial; there are a plethora of good ones there.
    To add to this, most rootable phones with with a program called Super One Click. You simply install the Windows drivers for your phone, enable USB debugging on your phone (it's in the standard Android Settings menu) and click a button to root. Similarly, you can also click one button to unroot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    To add to this, most rootable phones with with a program called Super One Click. You simply install the Windows drivers for your phone, enable USB debugging on your phone (it's in the standard Android Settings menu) and click a button to root. Similarly, you can also click one button to unroot.
    That's exactly what I was referring to; I remember when the One Click Root with ODIN support was first released for the Captivate (Galaxy S). Loved it.

ReputationRep:
    Does Android have a feature where you can transfer bookmarks from the Chrome browser to the android browser?
    Will any of the future releases have this feature?

Currently running a Google Nexus S

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hxecute)
    Does Android have a feature where you can transfer bookmarks from the Chrome browser to the android browser?

Pretty sure they are working on that but it's not there yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hxecute)

https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result

Methinks that app will do you nicely.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know the talk time/standby time for the galaxy s2? I can't find it anywhere

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by onaslipperyslope)
    Does anyone know the talk time/standby time for the galaxy s2? I can't find it anywhere
    http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i9000_galaxy_s-3115.php

Stand-by Up to 750 h (2G) / Up to 576 h (3G)
    Talk time Up to 13 h 30 min (2G) / Up to 6 h 30 min (3G)

ReputationRep:
    http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i9000_galaxy_s-3115.php

Stand-by Up to 750 h (2G) / Up to 576 h (3G)
    Talk time Up to 13 h 30 min (2G) / Up to 6 h 30 min (3G)
    :teeth: thanks, looks good. Last time I checked it said 'TBC'

edit. hold on that's the galaxy s, but found the right one from that link anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by onaslipperyslope)
    :teeth: thanks, looks good. Last time I checked it said 'TBC'
    GSM arena are really very good at getting all the specs for all phones and keeping the layout similar. Makes comparisons so much easeir.

ReputationRep:
    GSM arena are really very good at getting all the specs for all phones and keeping the layout similar. Makes comparisons so much easeir.
    I have that site as a search engine in chrome

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.