Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hype Machine app is well good :awesome: https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MHorman)
    I hear there's a cool free F1 app with live timing and track position etc...
    Formula1.com 2011 Been getting me through practice today while I've been stuck at uni for exams.

I get a bit obsessive on race day because it tells you so much information about track temp, wind speed etc.

ReputationRep:
    My first android phone is currently dispatched and on the way to me as we speak...

HTC desire S.

I have had a look at the reccomended app list in the OP
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...postcount=3886
    (I did this as i know what it's like to have info in the OP then people come in and ask questions when the answers are blatantly there)

But what else do you reccomend to a newb to the "proper" smartphone market??
    I had a Nokia 5800 before so that tried to be a smartphone and didn't quite make it...

I hear there's a cool free F1 app with live timing and track position etc...
    Just find out what works great for you... it's a phone so at some point you're going to be limited by what all you can do. Of course, experience will help you out the most and you'll get more fluent while using the phone every day.

If you want, root the phone and install a custom ROM on it, definitely gives you more freedom and customization.

ReputationRep:
    *joins*

Received my HTC Desire S today and loving it so far (so much of an upgrade fro my Tocco Ultra :o:)! I'm going to have to give the recommendations in ?!master?!mini?!'s post a good peruse shortly...
    x
    :five:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illusionary)
    *joins*

Received my HTC Desire S today and loving it so far (so much of an upgrade fro my Tocco Ultra :o:)! I'm going to have to give the recommendations in ?!master?!mini?!'s post a good peruse shortly...

:five:
    Welcome to the club

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    Welcome to the club
    Thanks

I think I've got a fair bit to learn here :o:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks

I think I've got a fair bit to learn here :o:
    Don't worry. If you are willing to invest time in Android you will certainly love it (not that it's necessary for it to be good in the first place!)

I'm still on an HD2, jelly of your Desire S :grumble:

ReputationRep:
    NFC tech :coma:

ReputationRep:
    Here's a question... I've not yet fully set up my new phone, but the quick start seems to imply that it works especially well with Gmail. I've been a fairly loyal Yahoo! Mail user for years now... would I see significant benefits from making the switch now?

ReputationRep:
    Here's a question... I've not yet fully set up my new phone, but the quick start seems to imply that it works especially well with Gmail. I've been a fairly loyal Yahoo! Mail user for years now... would I see significant benefits from making the switch now?
    I think you need a gmail account for Market access so you will need to make one.
    Not sure if Yahoo works well with push mail (Gmail takes seconds to present), it probably does.

I personally prefer Gmail, but if you don't use Google products then it's not the end of the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    I think you need a gmail account for Market access so you will need to make one.
    Not sure if Yahoo works well with push mail (Gmail takes seconds to present), it probably does.

I personally prefer Gmail, but if you don't use Google products then it's not the end of the world.
    :yes: I've had a Gmail account for a while as well, but started off with Yahoo! and switching to a new main account is always a bit of a pain. That said, I think Yahoo! may offer email forwarding so that's worth pursuing. To be honest, if I was picking an email service from scratch now, Gmail would be the one that I'd go with...

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone here know a good android handset with a keyboard? (and by that I mean I prefer a non-slide out phone..)
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by jakemittle)
    Does anyone here know a good android handset with a keyboard? (and by that I mean I prefer a non-slide out phone..)
    The only one I can think of (from the top of my head) is the Samsung Galaxy Pro, but I'm sure there are others too.

ReputationRep:
    How many different screens do people use? What do you have on them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCrackInTime)
    The only one I can think of (from the top of my head) is the Samsung Galaxy Pro, but I'm sure there are others too.
    They arent so plentiful thats the problem..Ideally, I would like something like this
    The Touch and Type phone but an android version..
    I just cant stand a pure touch-screens based phone..

ReputationRep:
    http://www.facebook.com/HTC/posts/10150307320018084

There has been overwhelmingly customer feedback that people want access to open bootloaders on HTC phones. I want you to know that we've listened. Today, I'm confirming we will no longer be locking the bootloaders on our devices. Thanks for your passion, support and patience
    Shwingggggggg.

ReputationRep:
    Wow! :eek: Good work HTC. Let's hope they release unlocking tools for currently locked phones!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I'm back

So contemplating buy a Galaxy S II, Housemate has it and damn it's night and day looking at both screens.

It's either Galaxy S II or Ice Cream tablet later this year :hmmm:

2.0ghz Kernel out for DHD so going to flash new Rom (did no flashing in pat 6 weeks :O ) and that new kernel, so excited!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    I'm back

So contemplating buy a Galaxy S II, Housemate has it and damn it's night and day looking at both screens.

It's either Galaxy S II or Ice Cream tablet later this year :hmmm:

2.0ghz Kernel out for DHD so going to flash new Rom (did no flashing in pat 6 weeks :O ) and that new kernel, so excited!
    TBF, the Desire HD screen ain't that great. My Desire S is all over it when side by side.

ReputationRep:
    Hey Guys,
    I rooted my HTC Desire in order to flash the HTC stock Froyo rom and get rid of all of the crap Orange loaded onto my phone.

Now the OTA update is failing to install.

Any ideas how I can fix this?

(Rooted using Unrevoked3 and clockworkmod recovery is on there)

Many thanks and +rep for your troubles

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.