Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack7Richards)
    Hey Guys,
    I rooted my HTC Desire in order to flash the HTC stock Froyo rom and get rid of all of the crap Orange loaded onto my phone.

Now the OTA update is failing to install.

Any ideas how I can fix this?

(Rooted using Unrevoked3 and clockworkmod recovery is on there)

Many thanks and +rep for your troubles
    Why would you install an OTA if you rooted and installed another ROM :dunce:

ReputationRep:
    Hey Guys,
    I rooted my HTC Desire in order to flash the HTC stock Froyo rom and get rid of all of the crap Orange loaded onto my phone.

Now the OTA update is failing to install.

Any ideas how I can fix this?

(Rooted using Unrevoked3 and clockworkmod recovery is on there)

Many thanks and +rep for your troubles
    You need to download a stock ROM in the form of an update.zip file from XDA.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=833310

This ROM should do you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    Why would you install an OTA if you rooted and installed another ROM :dunce:
    I like the HTC sense system, I just didn't like all the stuff orange had put on there.
    Im also having problems with the market, i.e the market software wont update itself, and all downloads of market apps are failing.

everything else is working fine

ReputationRep:
    I like the HTC sense system, I just didn't like all the stuff orange had put on there.
    Im also having problems with the market, i.e the market software wont update itself, and all downloads of market apps are failing.

I was under the impression that an OTA would either kill your root or re-add the stock stuff...

Maybe I'm mistaken though.

ReputationRep:

Sense is on custom ROMs too ya know.

Edit: For your market issues, check that the date and time on your phone, make sure it's correct.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    I was under the impression that an OTA would either kill your root or re-add the stock stuff...

Maybe I'm mistaken though.
    Im not sure...

I should have waited until after my exams before taking on this task. haha.

ReputationRep:
    Im not sure...

Just install a nice Sense ROM, don't worry about OTAs

ReputationRep:
    Im not sure...

Any OTA would be specific to your phone + carrier, therefore if you did install an OTA update, it'd still have all the Orange bloatware. This is done either via IMEI or serial (think IMEI), so there's nothing you can do. If you want rid of Orange ware, a custom ROM is the only way to remove it.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    TBF, the Desire HD screen ain't that great. My Desire S is all over it when side by side.
    Yeah it's fine I guess but next to newer screens it definitely feels washed out. You took back the G2X?

OTA's wont work if you removed any stock apps, ie all the orange bloatware. But like everyone said who cares just download a custom rom that runs sense. I will never understand why people want OTA's when the custom roms have pretty much all the problems fixed within weeks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    Any OTA would be specific to your phone + carrier, therefore if you did install an OTA update, it'd still have all the Orange bloatware. This is done either via IMEI or serial (think IMEI), so there's nothing you can do. If you want rid of Orange ware, a custom ROM is the only way to remove it.
    Thanks again for the help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    Just install a nice Sense ROM, don't worry about OTAs
    Any recommendations?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    Yeah it's fine I guess but next to newer screens it definitely feels washed out. You took back the G2X?
    Yeah, piece of **** that it was. Far, far, far too buggy for release.

ReputationRep:
    Any recommendations?
    Ummmmmmm no :p:

I don't have a Desire so I'm not aware of what's on offer.

I've heard good things about LeeDroid.
    But you may as well have a look here and pick a Sense ROM for yourself

ReputationRep:
    http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/27/h...sation-review/

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys. Mt operating system is 2.1 how do I upgrade to 2.2 or even 2.3 ? Thankks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fruitfan)
    Hey guys. Mt operating system is 2.1 how do I upgrade to 2.2 or even 2.3 ? Thankks
    What phone?
    Are you rooted?

ReputationRep:
    Um galaxy s , rooted ?

ReputationRep:
    I was just about to post the same. Going to be a v. difficult choice between this and GSII especially if HTC retroactively unlock the bootloader
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Any recommendations?
    I use LeeDrOiD (2.3d, as I think there are a couple of issues with 2.4.1) on my Desire.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by wizard710)
    I was just about to post the same. Going to be a v. difficult choice between this and GSII especially if HTC retroactively unlock the bootloader
    that review I felt was scored right. Htc have become stagnant, they have no wow factor now. I used to be a fan of the UI, whilst I think it's still the best out there (for manufacturers) it's not enough to keep me from buying a wow factor phone such as the GSII. Plus locked bootloader is a complete no for me. The only thing, and I mean only thing keeping me on Sense Roms atm is the facebook and contact integration is pretty amazing, especially with facebook.

Get the GSII.

If the Infuse 4G were to come out in the UK with a dual core, I'd buy it in a snapshot! 4.5" Super Amoled Plus :coma:

Discussions on TSR

• Latest
  • Personalise
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.