Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hey i wanna know if anyone can help me, I want to order the GSII from the carphonewarehouse on the £27 a month o2 contract

my first question is are internet speeds on o2 slowed down like they are on t-mobile when you buy through a third party retailer?

Also if i order through topcashback how will i know its tracked?

and finally will the topcashback still work when i pick up at the store?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    that review I felt was scored right. Htc have become stagnant, they have no wow factor now. I used to be a fan of the UI, whilst I think it's still the best out there (for manufacturers) it's not enough to keep me from buying a wow factor phone such as the GSII. Plus locked bootloader is a complete no for me. The only thing, and I mean only thing keeping me on Sense Roms atm is the facebook and contact integration is pretty amazing, especially with facebook.

Get the GSII.

If the Infuse 4G were to come out in the UK with a dual core, I'd buy it in a snapshot! 4.5" Super Amoled Plus :coma:
    I know and I like the idea of NFC so I'll wait till Sammy update the SGSII

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizard710)
    I know and I like the idea of NFC so I'll wait till Sammy update the SGSII
    I can't wait until then!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Yo guys, is it a big deal if you sell your phone rooted with a slightly different firmware?

Also, how can you tell if you're phone is unlocked to all networks? I remember my phone had the Vodafone boot screen, but thats been removed because I rooted and what not. I've been using it on O2 ever since, just want to check so I don't get accused of false advertising.

Edit:
    I'm wanting to "format" - how do I go about doing this on Android?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by spikeymike)
    Yo guys, is it a big deal if you sell your phone rooted with a slightly different firmware?
    Rooted is surely an advantage, firmware probably not a big deal.

Also, how can you tell if you're phone is unlocked to all networks? I remember my phone had the Vodafone boot screen, but thats been removed because I rooted and what not. I've been using it on O2 ever since, just want to check so I don't get accused of false advertising.
    I think you just have to try SIMs from different networks?

Edit:
    I'm wanting to "format" - how do I go about doing this on Android?
    There should be a 'restore factory settings' somewhere in the settings if that's what you mean.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by alex_hk90)
    Rooted is surely an advantage, firmware probably not a big deal.

I think you just have to try SIMs from different networks?

There should be a 'restore factory settings' somewhere in the settings if that's what you mean.
    I guess...

Hmm... not sure if I have any other sims. :holmes:

Ah yeah, I see it, I just want wipe my data before selling. :ta:

ReputationRep:
    that review I felt was scored right. Htc have become stagnant, they have no wow factor now. I used to be a fan of the UI, whilst I think it's still the best out there (for manufacturers) it's not enough to keep me from buying a wow factor phone such as the GSII. Plus locked bootloader is a complete no for me. The only thing, and I mean only thing keeping me on Sense Roms atm is the facebook and contact integration is pretty amazing, especially with facebook.

Get the GSII.

If the Infuse 4G were to come out in the UK with a dual core, I'd buy it in a snapshot! 4.5" Super Amoled Plus :coma:
    I agree with you on a few points here. First of all, I also believe that HTC has lost the "wow factor" that you stated. For a while now, they have just released the "same" phone over and over again with marginal, if any, spec increases. The HD Desire, HD2, HTC Inspire; all great phones but all generally the same, and there are years in between each. Don't get me wrong, the build quality is great and I have an ATT branded Nexus 1 myself that I love to death, however I got that phone recently because of it's openness and my ability to customize it however i please.

Custom ROMs, kernels, a multicolored trackball and unrestricted, free tethering are all perks of having the phone

But yea, HTC just stated that they aren't locking bootloaders anymore so that's good news; if the Sensation was coming out for ATT I probably would think about getting that, however with the locked bootloader on that and the Galaxy S 2 right around the corner (for US anyway), I'll probably just get that instead.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, complete n00b question here. If i'm using my phone and check out facebook and then go off to do something else it continues to run in the background using data to get chat messages/other updates constantly...

IS there an easy way to close programs when i'm not using them? Upon a quick google Android likes things running in the background but i only hav 500Mb a month so don't want everything online constantly...

HTC Desire S btw..
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by MHorman)
    Ok, complete n00b question here. If i'm using my phone and check out facebook and then go off to do something else it continues to run in the background using data to get chat messages/other updates constantly...

IS there an easy way to close programs when i'm not using them? Upon a quick google Android likes things running in the background but i only hav 500Mb a month so don't want everything online constantly...

HTC Desire S btw..
    On my HTC Legend - Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Facebook > Force Stop.

Other option would be to turn off mobile internet. (settings > wireless and networks > mobile networks)

ReputationRep:

HTC Desire S btw..
    Use the back button to exit.
    Otherwise you can disable notifications or sign out of chat.
    OR (the best option) is to turn off mobile data. 500MB is best saved where possible. No real point leaving it on all the time.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    I have 500MB, turn mine off whenever not using it...saves battery too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    Use the back button to exit.
    Otherwise you can disable notifications or sign out of chat.
    OR (the best option) is to turn off mobile data. 500MB is best saved where possible. No real point leaving it on all the time.
    Brilliant. When i want to be all active on my phone when i'm out i can just turn that on and i'm "live"...

Btw, expect a lot more stupid n00b questions over the next few weeks... Will make a change from the kernels and ROMs and flashing etc that i saw earlier...

ReputationRep:
    Brilliant. When i want to be all active on my phone when i'm out i can just turn that on and i'm "live"...

Btw, expect a lot more stupid n00b questions over the next few weeks... Will make a change from the kernels and ROMs and flashing etc that i saw earlier...
    You might want to install 3G Watchdog to help you keep an eye on your limit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    You might want to install 3G Watchdog to help you keep an eye on your limit.
    Is there a free version of the same app?

Not that i don't mind paying but i had a look and saw some free apps with similiar ish ability and wondered if they would be just as good...

Edit: Nvm, turns out it is free and i was looking at the pro verison...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    You'd have to send like millions of messages all with your data on to actually use all your 500mb limit.

ReputationRep:
    You'd have to send like millions of messages all with your data on to actually use all your 500mb limit.
    I get so close to 500MB every month. I have to prevent myself going over it.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    I never reach above 250ish, but I use wifi for downloads and literally check something then turn it off.

ReputationRep:
    I have went over my limit before and got charged like £30, ****ing ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    I get so close to 500MB every month. I have to prevent myself going over it.
    (Original post by greeneyedgirl)
    I never reach above 250ish, but I use wifi for downloads and literally check something then turn it off.
    Is that based on the readout from 3G Watchdog, or something from your phone company? I get slightly worried by a few people reporting that the app's inaccurate. :erm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illusionary)
    Is that based on the readout from 3G Watchdog, or something from your phone company? I get slightly worried by a few people reporting that the app's inaccurate. :erm:
    I use the app, never fails me.

Sometimes check the Orange readout when I'm close to the limit.

I'm usually in the 90%+range by the end of the month and have only gone over once (deliberately).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.