The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by johnnn
Jump ship? And have less changes per phone...

I got plenty of gripes but ICS seems to be addressing most of them so that's a step forward. For example, it's incorporating a lot of stuff which you currently have to download apps for.

I also want to see it more streamlined. Widgets of uniform size and more of a themed interface across all apps. It looks like a mish mash of stuff at the moment and compared to the competition it can look rather ugly (Android is the ugliest of the three OS's by a margin, excluding Blackberry cos I have no idea what they look like). In the past it didn't matter so much, but today aesthetics matter.

On the hardware front, I am not interested in screens bigger than 4", and I imagine most of the population would agree. Yet on Android, the best handsets are the ginormous ones so I guess I'm not the target audience anymore.

So putting that all together, my next handset is likely to be elsewhere that's why I asked if anyone had used ICS and whether it was good. It does look good in the videos, I just hope it's a major overhaul.
(edited 12 years ago)

That's a really good price for a super thin high specced tablet like that. I've texted my bro who's looking for one.
Original post by G8D
There's 32GB ones and white ones too: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/digigood/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

Refurbs, if you didn't know already :wink:

Yep I noticed they were refurbs. Good deals nonetheless :top:
Original post by G8D
Yeah, absolutely. I just felt I should clarify that because the only place I'd seen mention of them being refurbs before posting here was on Hot UK Deals and not on eBay :colondollar:

It says under Condtion:

Condition:
Manufacturer refurbished: An item that has been professionally restored to working order by a manufacturer-approved vendor. ... Read more

Also the 90 day warranty gives it away. But thanks, I imagine a lot of people won't read the finer print.

I think if the stock of the Galaxy Tab is plentiful come December, this tablet might get a heavy discount for Christmas...and those will be brand new.

I got the Touchpad anyway, nobody's gonna beat that :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
TP has just gone on pre-order on the US amazon site. It's $499 which works out as around £320. I think I may be investing but I'm unsure if I should get it from the US as it would be difficult to return it
Original post by itsmyname
I know it sounds weird and I probably didn't describe it properly but on some phones there's like a black covering over the front, so it feels as though the whole front of the phone is the screen.

Yep, that doesn't make any sense at all. Lol

Why would it remotely matter though? I really can't comprehend how the edge of the phone looking slightly blacker than the middle of the screen when it's turned off could bother anyone. Of course it's design so is completely subjective, but surely you can't spend much time looking at your phone with it turned off?

haha, that's a great advert. Very well done :smile:
Mobile Tech firms are releasing hardware at an unbelievable speed today. Even Apple with their Hitler QC are releasing products with significant faults. This is gonna continue with all manufacturers-- it's what early adopters should expect.
(edited 12 years ago)
Natwest finally have an android app out now for anyone who is interested:

http://www.natwest.com/personal/online-banking/g2/android-users.ashx

nice, almost bought one of these a few months ago (with keyboard dock) on ebuyer for £430. I had it on order and everything, then suddenly I thought to myself while I was having a shower 'what am I actually going to use it for?'. I spent the money on outdoor gear instead, which has seen much more use.

I may still get one in the future now that the price has dropped a bit (not quite enough for me), but at the moment I don't have wifi in my flat which is the main place I'd like to use it whilst watching TV etc.
The transformer prime should be quite amazing.. Sold my iPad 1 for 270 (top spec 3g wifi 64gb). Bought a galaxy nexus as my iPhone 3gs was dying.. Galaxy nexus is a fantastic phone, everything just works so smoothly and stock ice cream sandwich is beautiful.. Im really hoping HTC and other OEMs don't bugger it up too much with stupid and unneccessary skins like SenseUI. Apparently TouchWiz will take a reduced role and samsung will use a more stock-like build, and LG might ditch their horrid UI too.

Jumping ship to android is among the best decisions ive made in my life so far.
Reply 6413
Original post by zainjetha
The transformer prime should be quite amazing.. Sold my iPad 1 for 270 (top spec 3g wifi 64gb). Bought a galaxy nexus as my iPhone 3gs was dying.. Galaxy nexus is a fantastic phone, everything just works so smoothly and stock ice cream sandwich is beautiful.. Im really hoping HTC and other OEMs don't bugger it up too much with stupid and unneccessary skins like SenseUI. Apparently TouchWiz will take a reduced role and samsung will use a more stock-like build, and LG might ditch their horrid UI too.

Jumping ship to android is among the best decisions ive made in my life so far.

SenseUI is a beautiful thing. When I get a new android phone it will have to be htc because id miss sense too much. So many little features that id miss so much.
Reply 6414
Original post by johnnn
SenseUI is a beautiful thing. When I get a new android phone it will have to be htc because id miss sense too much. So many little features that id miss so much.

You'll find that as with the previous Nexus phones, the community will build custom ROMs with the Sense UI built in, if you wanted it.
Original post by johnnn

You can always flash to a UI you prefer more if you don't like your stock UI. I like MIUI tbh, but sense is pretty good tbh.
Yeah i guess.. but im not going to root and rom.. dont know enough about it and too riskh.

I feel that ice cream sandwich in vanilla could compete with senseui though.
Original post by zainjetha
Yeah i guess.. but im not going to root and rom.. dont know enough about it and too riskh.

I feel that ice cream sandwich in vanilla could compete with senseui though.

Rooting isn't as risky as it sounds tbh. With a good guide and md5sums checked its easy and not risky at all.
ICS Keyboard anybody?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1354891

https://market.android.com/details?id=inputmethod.latin.ported&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImlucHV0bWV0aG9kLmxhdGluLnBvcnRlZCJd

Seems to work well on me, and I can type faster on it. I disabled the permission for Read Contact Data, and I still seem to be able to add contacts, so it's all good.
Original post by Nick Longjohnson
ICS Keyboard anybody?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1354891

https://market.android.com/details?id=inputmethod.latin.ported&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImlucHV0bWV0aG9kLmxhdGluLnBvcnRlZCJd

Seems to work well on me, and I can type faster on it. I disabled the permission for Read Contact Data, and I still seem to be able to add contacts, so it's all good.

Looks interesting, thanks for the link. I'm currently using TouchPal Keyboard which I find to be extremely good. :yep:

Latest

Trending

Trending