Turn on thread page Beta

Android OS watch

Announcements

Blackdroid is nice but hard to use natively due to fileservers having bad mobile browser support.

In other news, Google+ is rather swish and the Android app is great

ReputationRep:
    Third handset should arrive tomorrow. Wish me luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trimeresurus)
    Third handset should arrive tomorrow. Wish me luck!
    You need more than our luck mate! Here's hoping!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    You need more than our luck mate! Here's hoping!
    Tell me about it! I'm going to be terribly vexed if this handset is flawed, especially if it has the exact same flaw as my previous couple.

I wouldn't mind it half as much if it was simply a piece or two of inconspicuous, lightly-coloured dust. However, on both occasions the debris has been dark in colouration and exceedingly visible, especially on a lightly-coloured background.

I also noticed that the debris was in approximately the same location on both handsets (the bottom right-hand quarter of the screen).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flo[ProActiv])
    I'm looking at getting a sim free android phone, currently either the HTC Desire, or Desire HD.
    Just wondering, would people say that the improvements of the HD are worth paying an extra £80 for?
    Galaxy S/II

ReputationRep:
    Just had to tear Mobile Phones Direct yet another new one. Their incompetence is astounding.

ReputationRep:
    Just had to tear Mobile Phones Direct yet another new one. Their incompetence is astounding.
    Now what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    Now what?
    It's the second time they've promised my phone would be delivered on a certain day (today) and have even sent me emails confirming it, then when I call up in the morning to ask for the Parcelforce tracking number, the delivery date has suddenly changed to the day after.

I don't appreciate having to waste two days at a time. They also did the exact same thing with my first replacement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizard710)
    Question guys. With the Atrix now getting an unlocked bootloader along with the sensation:-

Atrix, Sensation or Galaxy S 2?
    Galaxy S2. You can't go wrong with it. It ticks all the boxes. Just amazing. The Atrix is...very ok. HTC Sensation is really good but I don't like the new sense, looks good but its heavy on resources. The phone is heavy but if you like metallic finishes, you'll love the HTC.

My advice, GalaxyS2. If you're feeling snazzy you can root it and put the new HTC sense on it...and show it off to the world.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Nalced)
    Galaxy S2. You can't go wrong with it. It ticks all the boxes. Just amazing. The Atrix is...very ok. HTC Sensation is really good but I don't like the new sense, looks good but its heavy on resources. The phone is heavy but if you like metallic finishes, you'll love the HTC.

My advice, GalaxyS2. If you're feeling snazzy you can root it and put the new HTC sense on it...and show it off to the world.
    Are there any stable Sense Roms for the Galaxy S II?

ReputationRep:
    It's the second time they've promised my phone would be delivered on a certain day (today) and have even sent me emails confirming it, then when I call up in the morning to ask for the Parcelforce tracking number, the delivery date has suddenly changed to the day after.

I don't appreciate having to waste two days at a time. They also did the exact same thing with my first replacement.
    :facepalm:

That's ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    I've got my hands on a Hero which has 1.5. I can't find instructions on how to root it without upgrading it to 2.1. Any ideas?

(Original post by Zebrastripes)
    I've got my hands on a Hero which has 1.5. I can't find instructions on how to root it without upgrading it to 2.1. Any ideas?
    I never did root my original ROM I just flashed the recovery (will work on 1.5 or 2.1) and then installed a rooted 1.5 ROM (all that was out at the time).

Have you looked over at MoDaCo?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    I never did root my original ROM I just flashed the recovery (will work on 1.5 or 2.1) and then installed a rooted 1.5 ROM (all that was out at the time).

Have you looked over at MoDaCo?
    All instructions seem to be from 2.1. What did people do before 2.1 was out, surely there's a way to do it from 1.5? :-/

(Original post by Zebrastripes)
    All instructions seem to be from 2.1. What did people do before 2.1 was out, surely there's a way to do it from 1.5? :-/
    Of course there is. But why do you want to stay on 1.5...?

ReputationRep:
    Another day, another faulty Sensation. Contacted the retailer this morning to ask if I could retain the phone for a few weeks/months before trading it for a handset from a different 'batch' (when HTC have hopefully gotten their act together) and was given the following choices:

1) Have my 'exchange period' extended for 14 days from today and exchange the phone within that time. However, they tend to order in bulk, so there's no saying they'll have handsets from another 'batch' within that time.

2) Trade my Sensation for another model.

I'm really not sure what to do. As much as I desperately want to like the Sensation, I shouldn't have to be worrying about such elementary faults on a £500 device.

She also replied with "We have not been informed by HTC there is an ongoing fault with the handsets, the product has not been recalled by the manufacturer therefore we can only exchange again for you or return and cancel the contract" when I mentioned the fact that all she has to do is glance at any well-populated Android forum to see hundreds of people with the same problems, many who have received numerous handsets with the same flaws.

I don't wish to simply keep exchanging Sensation after Sensation, mostly due to the fact every exchange has a turnaround of several days, and I'm subsequently totally unable to use the (rather expensive) pay monthly contract during that time.

I just want a handset that's of an acceptable standard for such an expensive, high-end device. Is that really too much to ask? Evidently so, according to HTC.

My apologies for the lengthy diatribe.

ReputationRep:
    Tangentially, would any of you be able to recommend some decent phonebook/contacts apps for Android? I can't say I particularly like the 'People' app HTC offer, so I'm looking for some alternatives.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Get the Galaxy S II. HTC haven't got the Aluminium quite figured out yet. I remember when the DHD came out there were quite a few reports of dust in screen, misaligned camera, screen misaligned and the one that nearly everyone got, faulty sim cover :sigh:. I would just cancel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    Get the Galaxy S II. HTC haven't got the Aluminium quite figured out yet. I remember when the DHD came out there were quite a few reports of dust in screen, misaligned camera, screen misaligned and the one that nearly everyone got, faulty sim cover :sigh:. I would just cancel.
    Emailed them back asking if I can use the extended returns period (14 days from today) to ponder upon what to do.

My first thought was to exchange the Sensation for a Galaxy S2, but it's just a shame HTC can't seem to get this right. The Sensation is a thing of beauty and a fantastic piece of equipment apart from the monumental problems with dust/debris.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    Are there any stable Sense Roms for the Galaxy S II?
    I don't think so. xda developer people are still working on it.
    BUT, they have a Mod if you use Launcher Pro.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1017791

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.