Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    BBM isn't good.
    Argeed but its the only thing blackberry can hold onto.

Hi, guise. Should hopefully have an Android by the end of this week.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.slashgear.com/android-leg...eego-19165907/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dumachi)
    apprently bbm will come to android and iphone
    they were saying this from may and i havent heard about it since. imo i dont think it will happen, i cant see how it will work

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Force)
    they were saying this from may and i havent heard about it since. imo i dont think it will happen, i cant see how it will work
    It would just be an app...

ReputationRep:
    Why would Rim's want to give bbm for Android or ios I mean that would kill off bb smartphone in market they would be so silly to do that I just think bbm should only stay with bb phone cos It own right but I can see how some would arguing that lol.

If I remember correctly, it'd only be a basic service. To invite people or send files, you'll probably have to pay.

hey sup
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, but the BBC have launched an app to track 3G mobile coverage across the UK. All you have to do to take part, is download the UK 3G Survey app from the Android Market. There is more information here on the BBC News website.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by TheCrackInTime)
    Not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, but the BBC have launched an app to track 3G mobile coverage across the UK. All you have to do to take part, is download the UK 3G Survey app from the Android Market. There is more information here on the BBC News website.
    Thanks, I've downloaded it. Will try it for a bit but I'm concerned about battery usage as it has to use GPS as well as mobile network.

EDIT: The results it shows in the app seem to only distinguish between 2G and 3G (i.e. not GPRS, EDGE, 3G, HSDPA) which wouldn't be very useful (unless it's collecting the other data without displaying it locally).
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by alex_hk90)
    Thanks, I've downloaded it. Will try it for a bit but I'm concerned about battery usage as it has to use GPS as well as mobile network.

EDIT: The results it shows in the app seem to only distinguish between 2G and 3G (i.e. not GPRS, EDGE, 3G, HSDPA) which wouldn't be very useful (unless it's collecting the other data without displaying it locally).
    You don't have to use GPS, but the results will be more accurate if you do. If you choose not to use GPS, the app will use location data based on the position of cell masts.

The data held locally, is just to give you a rough idea of how often you're connected to 3G/2G networks. The data will be more useful after it's been mapped at the BBC's end.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    You don't have to use GPS, but the results will be more accurate if you do. If you choose not to use GPS, the app will use location data based on the position of cell masts.

The data held locally, is just to give you a rough idea of how often you're connected to 3G/2G networks. The data will be more useful after it's been mapped at the BBC's end.
    That makes sense. Thanks for the info.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Only thing i dislike is there isnt a straightforward way to control what apps start with the system on boot, or am i missing something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dumachi)
    Only thing i dislike is there isnt a straightforward way to control what apps start with the system on boot, or am i missing something?
    You can control this easily if you are rooted.

ReputationRep:
    You know Android holds the No. 1 position and sits on top of the smartphone market, the battle for the second position between Apple and Blackberry got tougher and in the end it was Apple who made it, leaving behind RIM’s BlackBerry in the third position.

ReputationRep:
    Tried it for a while.

Ended up being a big battery leech for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tJin)
    Tried it for a while.

Ended up being a big battery leech for me.
    They've just updated it so it uses less battery

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jacobadam)
    You know Android holds the No. 1 position and sits on top of the smartphone market, the battle for the second position between Apple and Blackberry got tougher and in the end it was Apple who made it, leaving behind RIM’s BlackBerry in the third position.
    What? http://www.streetinsider.com/Corpora...s/6621330.html

Last i checked Apple had something like 18% of the market, putting it behind Nokia and Android

ReputationRep:
    Gingerbread has made its way onto my phone, but with no immediately obvious differences...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pony Jack)
    Gingerbread has made its way onto my phone, but with no immediately obvious differences...
    Were you expecting it to be massively different?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.