The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by itsmyname
How do I uninstall apps that came with the phone? There's no uninstall option for these apps, but they keep running in the background, and stay running again after I kill them

You'll probably need to have Super User access (or Root access as it is also known) and an application such as Root Uninstaller.

How you get root depends on your phone, but most people will use Super One Click to achieve this.
Original post by mikeyd85
You'll probably need to have Super User access (or Root access as it is also known) and an application such as Root Uninstaller.

How you get root depends on your phone, but most people will use Super One Click to achieve this.

Are there any disadvantages to routing? warranty becoming void or anything?
Original post by itsmyname
Are there any disadvantages to routing? warranty becoming void or anything?

Root access means that if you got malicious software on your phone, it could really, really screw it. However, this is unlikely.

Regarding warranty, perhaps, but you can easily undo it and leave no trace that you ever had it.
Reply 6663
Root access means that if you got malicious software on your phone, it could really, really screw it. However, this is unlikely.

Regarding warranty, perhaps, but you can easily undo it and leave no trace that you ever had it.

Do you have to completely wipe the phone to root?
Original post by tface
Do you have to completely wipe the phone to root?

Nope. SuperOneClick exposes an exploit in ADB (a method of communicating with Android over USB) which allows you to *almost* just install it as if it were any other app.

However, if you have a secure phone, then this is another story. It depends entirely on what phone you have.

Original post by G8D
Someone linked this in response to the new T-Prime HD and Asus: http://youtu.be/7qb0vquRcys

:mmm:

Tbh its am extra 100 bucks for a better screen and back of the tablet

you can hardly blame them for releasing new models.... Technology becomes obsolete so quickly these days, it's not worth keeping up with the current model until it brings significant benefits.

That's messed up, they should be exchanging the old devices or offering major discounts to existing customers. 1 month and already a major upgrade?!

This is why I'm never an early adopter to anything. Learnt my lesson a long time ago.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by silent ninja
That's messed up, they should be exchanging the old devices or offering major discounts to existing customers. 1 month and already a major upgrade?!

This is why I'm never an early adopter to anything. Learnt my lesson a long time ago.

already a major upgrade planned. Might not hit shelves until quarter 4...
Yeah but I have ICS now :woo:
Original post by G8D
Tell us how it's better :puppyeyes:

In every way. Honestly, it's swung me away from Sense for the first time in a long while...

The speed of the UI is just incredible...and I'm only using a beta custom ROM...
I just rooted my htc desire today and I want to create a partition in my micro sd so that my apps can be stored in it through GParted method.
But I don't quite understand one thing, it says that you need a custom ROM.
So what do I do first i.e. download custom ROM or do the GParted thing?
Original post by G8D
Two options:

1)What you need (from the sound of it) is to install a custom recovery on your phone, find a ROM that supports apps2EXT and then partition the SD card using the built in tools in your custom recovery.
Note: this will probably wipe your SD card so back it up to PC first.

2)If you want to do it via GParted then it doesn't really matter when you do it. Before installing the ROM is probably best as then it'll be able to install to SD on your first boot.

Remember to backup your apps, installing a new ROM = loss of all apps.

Thank you so much :biggrin:
Now, I have done the GParted thing and just wondering if I continue to use the existing ROM (which I assume it's the one which comes with the phone originally) is it better than using custom ROMs?
Original post by G8D
It's up to you.

apps2EXT doesn't work on your ROM by default. If you can find a patch to allow it to happen and you'd be happy to do that then go for it.

Custom ROMs can offer benefits depending on what you want out of your phone but if all you want is extra space for apps I'd look into patching your ROM instead of replacing it.

And if I install custom ROM but later on want to use original one, is that possible?
Got Netflix US rocking on my phone. Awesome! :smile: Glad I got the SGS2 now, I can just about watch something on the puney screen.
I have done nandroid backup as well as "back up current ROM" and now I want to flash new ROM (cyanogenmod).
Can anyone tell me how to restore back the apps and settings to cyanogenmod after I flash ROM?
Original post by cazzy-joe
I have done nandroid backup as well as "back up current ROM" and now I want to flash new ROM (cyanogenmod).
Can anyone tell me how to restore back the apps and settings to cyanogenmod after I flash ROM?

You'll need Titanium Backup for that. Nandroid is a full on system snapshot - If you restore that, you restore the entire ROM + Apps + Data.

If I were you, I'd get Titanium backup, backup your user apps ONLY, then flash the new ROM then restore your user apps again.

Welcome to the world of fun Android! :awesome:
You'll need Titanium Backup for that. Nandroid is a full on system snapshot - If you restore that, you restore the entire ROM + Apps + Data.

If I were you, I'd get Titanium backup, backup your user apps ONLY, then flash the new ROM then restore your user apps again.

Welcome to the world of fun Android! :awesome:

Also, I did partition my micro sd yesterday so the new flash ROM will automatically put (some of) new downloaded apps into micro sd right or is there option I have to click?
Original post by cazzy-joe
Also, I did partition my micro sd yesterday so the new flash ROM will automatically put (some of) new downloaded apps into micro sd right or is there option I have to click?

Ooooh.... I don't know tbh. You'd be better off asking the guys who post in the related thread to your ROM over on XDA forums. Each ROM can be specced very differently and each version will have it's own foibles. Having never really used Cyanogen ROMs, I can't possibly comment on that.

Latest

Trending

Trending