Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    As an FYI for those with SGSIIs (or any other phone), the app "Extended Controls" will do both of these plus much, much more.
    Thanks, not sure it's necessary though because the features are there, it's just a certain 'journalist' with a low IQ doesn't realise they are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by richwhite)
    Thanks, not sure it's necessary though because the features are there, it's just a certain 'journalist' with a low IQ doesn't realise they are.
    Aye - I don't need it for much now except the torch mode on my Desire S as all of those ore in the notification area too. It's a nice little widget though.

Do you suppose this journo uses Internet Explorer? :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    Gingerbread finally here for my Desire Z in UK! I see it's out for Desire but only through manual download with some apps missing!

ReputationRep:
    I am realy desperate to get the galaxy s2. However my main concern is the lack of NFC which i believe is gonna be biiiig when iphone 5 comes out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizz_kid)
    I am realy desperate to get the galaxy s2. However my main concern is the lack of NFC which i believe is gonna be biiiig when iphone 5 comes out.
    I'd say that realistically, you'll be at the end of which ever contract you go for next before NFC gets biiiig, as you put it!

ReputationRep:
    Aye - I don't need it for much now except the torch mode on my Desire S as all of those ore in the notification area too. It's a nice little widget though.

Do you suppose this journo uses Internet Explorer? :teehee:
    Probably Safari. I just read his review of the N8, laughable again. He has issue that Symbian lets you have folders, and that the icon for Maps is a compass - not acknowledging that the Apple icon for Safari is a compass, as though a compass for navigation is ludicrous but makes perfect sense for browsing.

I had dealings with him about writing a few tech pieces, at first he just wanted to take my article and put his name on it, then he acknowleged he knew nothing of Maemo or MeeGo (he didn't even understand what an OS's codename is). Incredibly ignorant, espeically considering his job.

ReputationRep:
    If NFC is your concern get the N9.

Personally i wouldn't consider using it for payments and the like, far too risky if your phone is stolen. It is odd NFC isn't in the UK SGS2 though, it is in the USA one.

ReputationRep:
    Are any other SGSII owners finding the top left quadrant of the phone gets hot when browsing the internet on wifi? I don't know if this is unusual for smartphones as this is my first, but it's worrying!

(Original post by Tucking Fypo)
    I'm having trouble connecting to 3G on the GSII. The red/green arrows that should appear next to the signal bars aren't there either. Any ideas on how to fix this? I'm basically screwed in areas without wifi. Can't use whatsapp, nothing.
    Firstly, is wifi off? Secondly, have you activated 3G (hold down the power button and activate data network mode)? Sorry, to state the obvious and take you for a 'noob', but it's easy to miss the obvious sometimes.

I had a quick search and there doesn't seem to be a widely approved quick fix, but there is one person suggesting that you should check your APN settings (something which is beyond me).

http://www.samsunggalaxysforum.com/s...ctivity-issue/

http://www.samsunggalaxysforum.com/s...-connectivity/

I hope you find a solution

(Original post by _lynx_)
    Are any other SGSII owners finding the top left quadrant of the phone gets hot when browsing the internet on wifi? I don't know if this is unusual for smartphones as this is my first, but it's worrying!

Firstly, is wifi off? Secondly, have you activated 3G (hold down the power button and activate data network mode)? Sorry, to state the obvious and take you for a 'noob', but it's easy to miss the obvious sometimes.

I had a quick search and there doesn't seem to be a widely approved quick fix, but there is one person suggesting that you should check your APN settings (something which is beyond me).

http://www.samsunggalaxysforum.com/s...ctivity-issue/

http://www.samsunggalaxysforum.com/s...-connectivity/

I hope you find a solution
    I've found that the phone stays pretty cool for me. Only gets warm whenever I'm charging.

And thanks for those links, I'll read up on access points etc. :yy:

ReputationRep:
    I'd say that realistically, you'll be at the end of which ever contract you go for next before NFC gets biiiig, as you put it!
    Sorry i dont follow. Do you mean next year?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry i dont follow. Do you mean next year?
    Next year, maybe 2013, yeah.

ReputationRep:
    This is more likely than 2012. NFC is basically unknown technology for most so lets say it often takes 3-6 years for technologies to be "accepted" it'll be a while. A good example is HDTV which is only just being accepted now, despite major broadcasts being sent since 2004.

Despite the potential for NFC it'll be a while before it rolls out in to fulfill it's potential.

ReputationRep:
    Am I just being stupid or can NFC be delivered for basic tasks using a software update?

Surely a device can be made to incorporate wifi and bluetooth chips to perform a similar task without having an NFC chip- just like the Tocco can with barclaycard...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chaz1992)
    Am I just being stupid or can NFC be delivered for basic tasks using a software update?

Surely a device can be made to incorporate wifi and bluetooth chips to perform a similar task without having an NFC chip- just like the Tocco can with barclaycard...
    Well, it wouldn't be NFC. It would be a completely different frequency..

Samsung galaxy europia? Like the budget version of the galaxy s? Is it worth getting as I have around £60 spare from my shopping money?
    Looks good enough to me

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm...you neva know coz the technology exists already :
    http://www.store-orange.co.uk/orange...unication.html

Its just not as popular due to a lack of devices. I think it would be mid 2012 when it goes big.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blueray)
    Samsung galaxy europia? Like the budget version of the galaxy s? Is it worth getting as I have around £60 spare from my shopping money?
    Looks good enough to me
    Budget Android isn't a good experience. Look at the Wildfire for an example

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chaz1992)

No it's part of the hardware. It's like not having a wifi radio chip

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm...you neva know coz the technology exists already :
    http://www.store-orange.co.uk/orange...unication.html

Its just not as popular due to a lack of devices. I think it would be mid 2012 when it goes big.
    Aye, it's on my Barclays card already.

The San Fransisco from Orange however is pretty decent.

Aye, it's on my Barclays card already.

The San Fransisco from Orange however is pretty decent.
    The reviews of the europia look good enough ?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.