Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chlobobo)
    Hello
    I'm thinking of getting the HTC Mozart... i really know nothing about phones, i just got this recommended to me.
    Thoughts and better recomendations would be appreciated
    (I currently have an IPhone and i hate it btw :P)
    It's WP7, so best to go to the thread on that OS. When mango comes out WP7 should satisfy most people's needs. But considering Nokia will be releasing their WP7 phones in the coming months, i'd wait until then.

Now back to Android...

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, im looking to buy an android phone..

Whats the best android phone for approx. £250...give or take a tenner or so?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zakir)
    Hey guys, im looking to buy an android phone..

Whats the best android phone for approx. £250...give or take a tenner or so?

Thanks
    on contract ? or payG ?

ReputationRep:
    HTC Desire HD vs Incredible S vs Sensation?
    Help?

I'm looking for one with (semi) decent battery life. I have no idea about rooting, etc (don't even know what rooting means), so don't want to be messing around too much.

I've tried comparing them, but I just end up getting confused.

ReputationRep:
    Btw, on pay as you go..

Sorry, forgot to mention it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flo[ProActiv])
    HTC Desire HD vs Incredible S vs Sensation?
    Help?

I'm looking for one with (semi) decent battery life. I have no idea about rooting, etc (don't even know what rooting means), so don't want to be messing around too much.

I've tried comparing them, but I just end up getting confused.
    Sensation > Incredible S > Desire HD for power. Couldn't say for battery life.

ReputationRep:
    Desire HD battery life is ****ty! that i know of but never tried sensation check some reviews online they help alot!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex_hk90)
    I'm pretty sure there's a few over in the xda-devs Desire Dev forum - I can see one called "Noob Proof Everything Desire Guide" that is probably what you're looking for.
    Thanks for that link mate! I'm in the process of rooting my desire. Basically on the website it says that i have to download the stock rom of the desire. I'm running 32.48.00.32u_5.10.05.30 (baseband version) which is on orange. I couldnt find that rom on this website (as the guy says ) :
    http://shipped-roms.com/index.php?ca...d&model=Desire

Am i missing something?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    hey guys...

best android phone for approx. £250 on pay as you go?

doesn't need to be that exact amount..thanks

P.S. btw, what do you guys think of the Samsung Galaxy Ace, LC Optimus 2X and HTC Desire S?

which one is best out of those three (asking out of interest)

• PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by diracdeltafunc)
    Thanks for that link mate! I'm in the process of rooting my desire. Basically on the website it says that i have to download the stock rom of the desire. I'm running 32.48.00.32u_5.10.05.30 (baseband version) which is on orange. I couldnt find that rom on this website (as the guy says ) :
    http://shipped-roms.com/index.php?ca...d&model=Desire

Am i missing something?

Thanks.
    That's the radio version, not the ROM version.

ReputationRep:
    That's the radio version, not the ROM version.
    Right! SO which one would apply to me then? My build number is
    2.17.61.3 CL274424 release keys

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I'm a bit of a technophobe. I have a HTC desire and the thing is android version 2.2 but it won't let me video skype, even though apparently you need 2.2 or higher, my bfriend has a google nexus thing and his video-ing works but he's now on 2.3.4.....or something like that??? Anyone got any idea how I can sort it so I can video skype?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Random-scribbles)
    Hello, I'm a bit of a technophobe. I have a HTC desire and the thing is android version 2.2 but it won't let me video skype, even though apparently you need 2.2 or higher, my bfriend has a google nexus thing and his video-ing works but he's now on 2.3.4.....or something like that??? Anyone got any idea how I can sort it so I can video skype?
    V.call on skype is yet to be updated to other devices only few can Ex: Nexus S..
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Right! SO which one would apply to me then? My build number is
    2.17.61.3 CL274424 release keys
    Hmm, it seems like they don't have your exact version. The closest one I could immediately find was the 2.29 one here (labelled RUU_Bravo_Froyo_HTC_WWE_2.29.405 .5_Radio_32.49.00. 32U_5.11.05.27_release), which should work fine (actually the 2.36 one in the other link would probably do as well). All this means is that you won't be able to revert to your (Orange branded?) unrooted ROM (2.17) but instead you could do so to the unbranded (and also unrooted) 2.29 ROM.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zakir)
    hey guys...

best android phone for approx. £250 on pay as you go?

doesn't need to be that exact amount..thanks

P.S. btw, what do you guys think of the Samsung Galaxy Ace, LC Optimus 2X and HTC Desire S?

which one is best out of those three (asking out of interest)

Desire S...no doubt good bargain!

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, it seems like they don't have your exact version. The closest one I could immediately find was the 2.29 one here (labelled RUU_Bravo_Froyo_HTC_WWE_2.29.405 .5_Radio_32.49.00. 32U_5.11.05.27_release), which should work fine (actually the 2.36 one in the other link would probably do as well). All this means is that you won't be able to revert to your (Orange branded?) unrooted ROM (2.17) but instead you could do so to the unbranded (and also unrooted) 2.29 ROM.
    Is it ? I thought that it is so that u can if everything messes up, you can revert back to factory original settings (orange branded)

Sorry for troubling u with these q's!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Is it ? I thought that it is so that u can if everything messes up, you can revert back to factory original settings (orange branded)

Sorry for troubling u with these q's!
    No, you're right - ideally it would be to revert back to Orange branded to return if it doesn't work. However, it seems that Orange haven't released any RUU (update files) so at the moment you can only revert to an unbranded (but also unrooted ROM). The reason for doing this I think is that rooting technically voids your warranty - I don't know about unbranding to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jayhamz)
    Desire S...no doubt good bargain!
    thanks.

any more opinions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jayhamz)
    V.call on skype is yet to be updated to other devices only few can Ex: Nexus S..
    Oh I see, how peculiar..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zakir)
    thanks.

any more opinions?

if you want to spend more...then Motorola Atrix or better still Defy aint bad as well! and its cheap.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.