Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zionic)
    I see. Sounds good then. Howver, have you experienced any over hearing of the SGS2? :confused:
    If you use pretty poorly coded games and programs (PES2011 comes to mind), then it becomes uncomfortably hot. But to get around this I just rooted it and under clocked the CPU to run at 800MHz. Its much cooler and I barely notice a decrease in performance.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I see. Sounds good then. Howver, have you experienced any over hearing of the SGS2? :confused:
    I take it you meant overheating? :p:

It gets relatively hot, but not unbearably hot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doughnuts!!)
    I take it you meant overheating? :p:

It gets relatively hot, but not unbearably hot.

Yes, over heating haha.

Does it stay hot for a while or does it cool down quickly? I heard it was just a bad batch that was like this?
    :confused:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Dumachi)
    Whats the benefits of rooting my phone and what exactly does it do?
    Come on someone please explain ill rep u ;p
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Yes, over heating haha.

Does it stay hot for a while or does it cool down quickly? I heard it was just a bad batch that was like this?
    :confused:
    I heard that it was a bad batch as well, but apparently not. :dontknow:

It gets hot for a bit but cools down quite quickly. However, if you're playing a game, lisyening to music and surfing the net then it occasionally stays hot.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Whats the benefits of rooting my phone and what exactly does it do?
    It allows full access to the hardware, so you can do things like over/under-clock the CPU, install custom ROMs, etc.

(Original post by diracdeltafunc)
    Icccc. Howz the battery life like relative to the original branding rom?
    It's surprisingly good: with moderate to heavy usage it still lasts a day (24 hours) - I charge it every night so the battery life has not yet been a problem.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Come on someone please explain ill rep u ;p
    Main benefit I've seen it battery life. Before it would only last 15 hours (18 on a stretch) with normal use. The reason is because the battery drain is minuscule, something like 3mah so whilst my screen is off my phone uses pretty much no battery.

Another benefit is overclocking and general smoothness in the ROM. There are many many others, depends on which ROM. Though bare in ming Rooting alone doesn't allow you to install custom roms, kernels etc..
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    Another benefit is overclocking and general smoothness in the ROM. There are many many others, depends on which ROM. Though bare in ming Rooting alone doesn't allow you to install custom roms, kernels etc..
    It doesn't? For the Desire it does (you only need S-OFF for custom HBOOTs).
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by alex_hk90)
    It doesn't? For the Desire it does (you only need S-OFF for custom HBOOTs).
    Actually that might be true. To flash a non-sense or radio you need a S-OFF. It's probably different for non HTC phones though, but with the Incredible S/Desire S/ Sensation rooting isn't enough to actually install a custom/sense ROM, from what I've read on their forums.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Actually that might be true. To flash a non-sense or radio you need a S-OFF. It's probably different for non HTC phones though, but with the Incredible S/Desire S/ Sensation rooting isn't enough to actually install a custom/sense ROM, from what I've read on their forums.
    It must depend on the phone then. You can flash radios and Sense or non-Sense ROMs on the Desire with just root (no need for S-OFF).

ReputationRep:
    It must depend on the phone then. You can flash radios and Sense or non-Sense ROMs on the Desire with just root (no need for S-OFF).
    Desire came before the locked bootloader.

Technically being rooted is not that much to do with ROMs though as you need a modified recovery to flash ROMs.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    All you need is Visonary and you're good to go???!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by G8D)
    Desire came before the locked bootloader.

Technically being rooted is not that much to do with ROMs though as you need a modified recovery to flash ROMs.
    I see, I'm not that up-to-date with the newer devices (which I thought were going to get unlocked bootloaders anyway?).

All you need is Visonary and you're good to go???!
    These days unrevoked is the preferred rooting method, but yes.

ReputationRep:
    I see, I'm not that up-to-date with the newer devices (which I thought were going to get unlocked bootloaders anyway?).

These days unrevoked is the preferred rooting method, but yes.
    The only reason HTC is going to unlock bootloaders is because they implemented encrypted ones and their customers kicked up a fuss.

Whats this motorola and google doing a deal all about?
    Can I have a noobified version please.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by blueray)
    Whats this motorola and google doing a deal all about?
    Can I have a noobified version please.
    Google are buying Motorola.

ReputationRep:
    Google are buying Motorola' s Mobile Phone division.
    fixed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    fixed.
    They'd split up anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizard710)
    They'd split up anyway
    Is that a new thing, or am I remembering rightly when I think it happened when they were churning out crap phone after crap phone (post Razr era)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    Is that a new thing, or am I remembering rightly when I think it happened when they were churning out crap phone after crap phone (post Razr era)?
    Yeah It was right at the start of the year. Google has bought Motorola Mobility with is the new cell phone company

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_804199.html

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.