Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by silent ninja)
    Let's hope it's not another half assed attempt. Google don't seem to release any product that is finished (besides Search).
    The Android team seem pretty impressed with themselves over this one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    The big question for me is: Will vanilla 4.0 be a better user experience than Sense?

All the social network integration in Sense is fantastic, as are some of it's other features (Quick Settings in notification area for one) and it's widgets are just brilliant. This will be an interesting one. Still, I'll probably end up flashing Cyanogen 8 (at a guess) on my Desire S any way...

ReputationRep:
    anyone know how to speed up my g2 touch, maybe get rid of the tmobile bloatware? over clock it? its so laggy right now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by st_23)
    anyone know how to speed up my g2 touch, maybe get rid of the tmobile bloatware? over clock it? its so laggy right now
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=645253

Have fun

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    If it isn't polished enough, we'll hear the same old excuses; "it's a work in progress.." or "download this ROM" or "this program" then you'll have an awesome setup. I think we are all expecting a major UI upgrade. I sure hope they deliver.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dumachi)
    No but to S-OFF a Desire S i found a pain in the ass.
    (Original post by + polarity -)
    Is it hard?
    To be honest I found S-OFFing my Desire only about as hard as rooting my Galaxy S II. It's really easy with AlphaRev in a virtual machine.

ReputationRep:
    If it isn't polished enough, we'll hear the same old excuses; "it's a work in progress.." or "download this ROM" or "this program" then you'll have an awesome setup. I think we are all expecting a major UI upgrade. I sure hope they deliver.

It will never be polished enough. There will always be ROMs.

ReputationRep:
    Some details on the prime:

here

set to announce later today, released in a few weeks...

ReputationRep:
    thanks, will give it a go in a couple as i need my phone tomorrow and the day after so don't wanna risk messing up. saying that i should have my gs2 back soon

this may sound stupid but what things can you do with a rooted phone other than speed it up that you wouldn't be able to do otherwise

ReputationRep:
    I know today is all about ICS and the Galaxy Nexus, but goddamn the Droid RAZR looks downright sexy.

ReputationRep:
    ICS is definitely definitely definitely bringing the UI for handsets in line with what you can see today with Honeycomb.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by st_23)
    thanks, will give it a go in a couple as i need my phone tomorrow and the day after so don't wanna risk messing up. saying that i should have my gs2 back soon

this may sound stupid but what things can you do with a rooted phone other than speed it up that you wouldn't be able to do otherwise
    Not stupid at all. You can:

Block ads in apps
    Customise your UI to the nth degree
    Overclock CPU
    Kill ALL users on a network aside yourself
    Enable WiFi tethering
    Enable USB tethering
    Remote control of phone
    Lots more tbh.

You use root access as you see fit. I have used it for all the above and a few more things probably. Not everyone needs it (piracy on android doesn't even need it), but its nice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by estel)
    ICS is definitely definitely definitely bringing the UI for handsets in line with what you can see today with Honeycomb.
    I hope so. I'm interested in the OS, but not the humongous screen of a phone the Nexus Prime (or whatever they decide to call it) will be.

I want a sub-4" screen phone. The SGS2 is too big, both my brothers have it and I don't think it's practical. The iPhone on the other hand is too small.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm I am afraid that I am going to show my ignorance here ... I'm not really sure what ICS is all about .. I know it is Internet connection sharing, but don't know much more than that? Any pointers??

ReputationRep:
    I believe it stands for Ice Cream Sandwich? newest version of the android operating system? :L

Well we already know that the launcher, widgets, gallery, music and some other parts have been overhauled in the UI department.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H.C. Chinaski)
    Hmmm I am afraid that I am going to show my ignorance here ... I'm not really sure what ICS is all about .. I know it is Internet connection sharing, but don't know much more than that? Any pointers??
    It's the codename for the new version of Android which is being announced in all of... six hours.

Internet Connection Sharing, lol

Why is it Sandwich btw? Ice Cream on its own is still dessert

(Original post by + polarity -)
    Why is it Sandwich btw? Ice Cream on its own is still dessert
    Ice cream looks like Froyo.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.