Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Oh yeah

ReputationRep:
    The XPERIA play is AMAZING!!!

Running emulators on it perfectly.

Waiting for word lens to release the android app...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by + polarity -)
    Internet Connection Sharing, lol
    Yes, that's right Internet Connection Sharing http://support.microsoft.com/kb/234815

Apparently it also stands for "Ice Cream sandwich"

funny what you discover on the interweb, I've just discovered that "polarity" has another meaning: "bell-end" by all accounts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by estel)
    It's the codename for the new version of Android which is being announced in all of... six hours.
    cheers.

(Original post by H.C. Chinaski)
    I've just discovered that "polarity" has another meaning: "bell-end" by all accounts.
    :rofl3:

ReputationRep:
    I never knew Froyo stood for Frozen Yoghurt!

(Original post by Hello oh)
    I never knew Froyo stood for Frozen Yoghurt!
    Nice sig.

ReputationRep:
    Hell. Freaking. Yes.

That was much better than I was expecting it to be to be honest. Really really loving the new UI too.

Go Ice Cream Sandwich! http://developer.android.com/sdk/and...ighlights.html

(Original post by estel)
    Hell. Freaking. Yes.

That was much better than I was expecting it to be to be honest. Really really loving the new UI too.

Go Ice Cream Sandwich! http://developer.android.com/sdk/and...ighlights.html
    Cool!

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeh, the phone: http://www.google.com/nexus/

It looks sickeningly nice

but I don't like the font in the pictures of the UI

ReputationRep:
    Not sure I like the battery cover.

Will need to see/feel irl.

ReputationRep:
    Some of the touches seem really nice. Like swiping left for camera, sending quick responses on incoming calls when you're busy, closing apps with swipe (copying Web OS here), the cool panorama picture mode, NFC...and so on.

I hope it's all integrated well, which it does seem to be going from the keynote. The main thing I'm interested in is whether hardware acceleration has been implemented and whether the laggy/buggy scrolling has been resolved. Every phone I've seen has it, even if it's just for a fraction of a second.

I wonder how the battery on the new Nexus will hold up?

Here is the full show if anyone is interested (forward to 19:12 for Ice Cream Sandwich):

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    The main thing I'm interested in is whether hardware acceleration has been implemented and whether the laggy/buggy scrolling has been resolved. Every phone I've seen has it, even if it's just for a fraction of a second.
    I found that when I had the raw power of the Optimus 2X (for all it's issues, it was still blindingly quick), scrolling was fine everywhere, which was lovely. Can't wait to have that back on my Desire S. I shall certainly ditch Sense for a nice Vanilla flavour Ice Cream Sarnie

ReputationRep:
    Yes, hardware acceleration has been implemented (but it was anyway in Honeycomb). But it won't be enabled for older apps without their developers releasing a minor minor update.

That's not to say that it will completely solve the UI lag that plagues Android (the GC is somewhat to blame), but should help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    I found that when I had the raw power of the Optimus 2X (for all it's issues, it was still blindingly quick), scrolling was fine everywhere, which was lovely. Can't wait to have that back on my Desire S. I shall certainly ditch Sense for a nice Vanilla flavour Ice Cream Sarnie
    Vanilla falvoured sandwich sounds...weird lol

In the announcement, they said Icecream Sandwich's supported native resolution is 1280x720. So does that mean the smaller phones won't get it? It's mammoth sized, I'd want something around 4".

(Original post by estel)
    That's not to say that it will completely solve the UI lag that plagues Android (the GC is somewhat to blame), but should help.
    Most Android user's dont even believe it exists. I've always noticed it myself and it's very annoying considering what's under the hood!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by estel)
    Yes, hardware acceleration has been implemented (but it was anyway in Honeycomb). But it won't be enabled for older apps without their developers releasing a minor minor update.

I can only read that as Game Cube... What's GC?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    I can only read that as Game Cube... What's GC?
    Garbage Collection.

It's a process Android runs in the background basically to clear up memory on a continuous basis.

ReputationRep:
    Vanilla falvoured sandwich sounds...weird lol

In the announcement, they said Icecream Sandwich's supported native resolution is 1280x720. So does that mean the smaller phones won't get it? It's mammoth sized, I'd want something around 4".
    I hope so! Even if it's just through Cyanogen Mod.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not entirely clear what they meant by Native, but ICS definitely will work and be deployed to devices with smaller screen dimensions.

Most Android user's dont even believe it exists. I've always noticed it myself and it's very annoying considering what's under the hood!
    I guess in part it's about user expectations.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.