Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greeneyedgirl)
    Hmm what problems did you find with the San Fran? I love my San Fran and no major problems (if we exclude problems which I caused myself...) and I'm sure many of us on this thread would agree the San Fran = :yy:
    Guess I was just unlucky with the OSF. I unlocked it (didn't root it) so obviously couldn't take it back to orange for the issues I had. The touch screen wasn't very responsive and the phone randomly shut down or froze every so often. I only installed 4 applications on it (BBC news, a London Underground status updater, facebook and a to-do list app) and they didn't really guzzle the battery life or CPU at all. Guess I might have just had a faulty one.

(Original post by Hello oh)
    I had the San Fran also and I thought it was great once i'd removed all the bloated orange software and got it running a custom rom, but it's personal opinion!

Yeah the Galaxy Ace is a great alternative but bear in mind it's £130 + £15 top up + around £10 unlocking.
    Hmm, yeah everybody speaks positively about the OSF and the Monte Carlo. I'm slightly leaning towards it now, however I can't seem to find any place which definitely confirms that the OMC can be unlocked and rooted. I'm on giff gaff and don't want to switch to another network - so if there is an unlocking fee, it will apply to almost every phone I buy.

ReputationRep:
    Sensation XE. Such a beautiful phone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by purplefrog)
    Guess I was just unlucky with the OSF. I unlocked it (didn't root it) so obviously couldn't take it back to orange for the issues I had.
    Unlocking doesn't void the warranty, and is generally encouraged on PAYG phones by Ofcom. You should still be able to get help.

An OSF I purchased wasn't even locked to orange... I thought this was strange...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    K so got my dad to buy a San Fran and he's already complaining about all the "Orange ****e" on it so I'm gonna root/install custom ROM before he gets accustomed to anything.

I presume you're knowledgeable on this :beard:

Is there a worthwhile 2.3 ROM available? I'm lost in this whole TFT/LCD Gen1/Gen2 stuff. I know this one is Gen1 but the 2.3 ROMs I see all say Gen2... I'm really quite confused by the distinction and whether it's a bad thing to "convert to Gen2".
    If you don't think 2.3 is worth it... what's the best 2.2 ROM in your opinion?

Sorry for noob questions. I usually quite good at this.
    Ginger Stir Fry is proving to be pretty competent if you're looking at a fairly solid Beta Gingerbread ROM, or the FroYo stalwart - Swedish Spring.

Converting from GEN1 radio firmware to GEN2 doesn't provide any tangible benefits - specific ROMs are just written for specific radio firmware, so the two are not cross-compatible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by purplefrog)
    Hmm, yeah everybody speaks positively about the OSF and the Monte Carlo. I'm slightly leaning towards it now, however I can't seem to find any place which definitely confirms that the OMC can be unlocked and rooted. I'm on giff gaff and don't want to switch to another network - so if there is an unlocking fee, it will apply to almost every phone I buy.
    http://android.modaco.com/forum/542-...katemodacocom/

Check out the threads on there, can be unlocked and rooted, growing in support with custom roms. If £130 is your absolute max budget i'd go for the Monte Carlo but if I had an extra £20-£25 to spend I'd probably go for the Galaxy...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by + polarity -)
    I wouldn't take it :wink2:
    What about Samsung Galaxy Ace ?

(Original post by Guvnor)
    What about Samsung Galaxy Ace ?
    Well it looks better than my phone but... I think you could at least get a phone with a higher resolution screen in this day and age!

ReputationRep:
    Themed to ICS a few days ago

Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    http://phandroid.com/2011/11/04/asus...chmark-result/
    want.

I don't like the icons in ICS tbh, and the font looks a bit weird

but I gotta show you my lockscreen. :sogood:

ReputationRep:
    I don't like the icons in ICS tbh, and the font looks a bit weird

but I gotta show you my lockscreen. :sogood:
    Show lockscreen nao. I can't find a good one.

I didn't like the new system fonts either, so reverted to the previous ones. Icons have grown on me now though.

(Original post by Nick Longjohnson)

I didn't like the new system fonts either, so reverted to the previous ones. Icons have grown on me now though.
    I'll have to show you later because I have a train to catch!

ReputationRep:
    Ahh, guys,

Anyone know a good rom for the Galaxy S2 ?

I tried Virtious, and some other one with a scary green android bootup logo thing. I cant remember the name.

They all had faults. Camera was total rubbish!

(Im on my 15th S2, Something that wont brick it, PLEASE!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheTechGuy)
    Ahh, guys,

I tried Virtious, and some other one with a scary green android bootup logo thing. I cant remember the name.

haha i was going to say dead space but that might brick it :L

ReputationRep:
    That is what my bursary is going on

(Original post by Nick Longjohnson)
    Pictures are attached :ahee: I won't apologise for the unrelated widget screenshot :pierre:

So, I'll explain.

It's WidgetLocker (I paid for it :eek:).

I have the ubiquitous SIMI clock (or whatever it's called now) at the top, with the battery showing (which opens some info when you tap on it). Today I found out that the ring around the percentage fades as your battery goes down :eek:

Below that I have the Missed It! widget, and when I have a message/missed call, tapping it takes me to inbox/Dialer respectively.

Under that I have Phantom Music Widget, which does essentially the same thing as the lockscreen music control on the 'standard' lockscreen, but it's being a bit funny in when it wants to disappear

I hid the notification bar, and the slider is based on the ICS one, but I'm using a theme I found on DeviantArt, and the radius that the icons lie on is smaller. I have 4 options, unlock (which the ripples move towards when I turn the screen back on), SMS inbox, sound/vibrate (icon changes) and camera.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Ahh, guys,

I have a Galaxy S2 and flashed HyperDroid-Androidmeda - http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1288850
    Easily the best ROM I've ever used (bar Darky's on the GS1 )
    Its got great battery life and good performance.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh, guys,

I use VillianROM, same as with my Hero. I've always found them very reliable

(Original post by andy!)
    I have a Galaxy S2 and flashed HyperDroid-Androidmeda - http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1288850
    Easily the best ROM I've ever used (bar Darky's on the GS1 )
    Its got great battery life and good performance.
    Sounds interesting - would you mind if I asked, is there anything else special about it, besides Surgeon (not so interested in themes)? It seems good but not sure if it's worth changing from my trusty VillianROM

ReputationRep:
    Pictures are attached :ahee: I won't apologise for the unrelated widget screenshot :pierre:

So, I'll explain.

It's WidgetLocker (I paid for it :eek:).

I have the ubiquitous SIMI clock (or whatever it's called now) at the top, with the battery showing (which opens some info when you tap on it). Today I found out that the ring around the percentage fades as your battery goes down :eek:

Below that I have the Missed It! widget, and when I have a message/missed call, tapping it takes me to inbox/Dialer respectively.

Under that I have Phantom Music Widget, which does essentially the same thing as the lockscreen music control on the 'standard' lockscreen, but it's being a bit funny in when it wants to disappear

I hid the notification bar, and the slider is based on the ICS one, but I'm using a theme I found on DeviantArt, and the radius that the icons lie on is smaller. I have 4 options, unlock (which the ripples move towards when I turn the screen back on), SMS inbox, sound/vibrate (icon changes) and camera.
    Damn, that is very nice, son!

I may have to start paying for apps

I just have the standard CM7 one, ugly, but functional and smooth:

I really want to get a honeycomb-style circular one, or the ICS slider, which looks awesome.

Also,
    Please rate some other members before rating this member again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xero Xenith)
    I use VillianROM, same as with my Hero. I've always found them very reliable

Sounds interesting - would you mind if I asked, is there anything else special about it, besides Surgeon (not so interested in themes)? It seems good but not sure if it's worth changing from my trusty VillianROM
    Honestly, probably not, I've yet to try VillianROM, and seeing as it was the first custom ROM out for the GS2 I'll probably give it a go
    That and PulserG2 is a beast

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.