Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zakir)
    oh ok...a friend of myn that has the Galaxy S is running 2.3.5 apparently??

when will the ICS be out for the Galaxy S, if its going to be on that?
    II'm not sure if the original galaxy S is being updated to ICS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zakir)

The most up to date version of Android is 2.3.7.

I can't say for sure what the SGS should be running, but if your mate has got a custom ROM, he may well be running 2.3.5.

As for ICS, I couldn't say on a legitimate release, but as Cyanogen are supporting all (or as many) devices as they can with CM9, I'd imagine there will be an AOSP based ROM within the next couple of months.

ReputationRep:
    Just playing with my new galaxy nexus its really good and im enjoying playing with it , its super fast and a big step up from my galaxy s 2
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Zakir)

ICS has been confirmed for the SII, but I doubt the original will get ICS. That said, you can get ICS on your phone right now!

There is already a rom for the galaxy S (and the SII) for a vanilla 4.0, but both are in alpha. The rom for the originally seems to be further along, though GPS, Camera, Ext. SD and video recorder don't work on it yet.

How to guide for anyone who enjoys playing with alpha releases.

ReputationRep:
    Decided I'm not getting the TP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    Decided I'm not getting the TP.
    Why not and what you getting instead?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizard710)
    Why not and what you getting instead?
    I don't have enough faith in Android on bigger screens yet. Apps are worryingly thin. Yes it'd be nice to detatch the screen etc etc but it's not for me, not atm

Getting an Air.

ReputationRep:
    I don't like the look of the new nexus. I don't like the fact that when the screen is turned off, you can see where the screen touches the bezzle, because the bezzle part is darker than the actual screen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itsmyname)
    I don't like the look of the new nexus. I don't like the fact that when the screen is turned off, you can see where the screen touches the bezzle, because the bezzle part is darker than the actual screen.
    Isn't that standard for most phones?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    Isn't that standard for most phones?
    I know it sounds weird and I probably didn't describe it properly but on some phones there's like a black covering over the front, so it feels as though the whole front of the phone is the screen.

Yep, that doesn't make any sense at all. Lol

ReputationRep:
    Anyone here actually used ICS?

I'm kinda bored with Android and just want something "that works." I hope ICS changes things dramatically, else I'm jumping ship.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    On PowerAmp, does anybody know how I stop the file paths showing when looking at music in the "Folders" view? Or is that the whole point of the "Folders" view?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doughnuts!!)
    On PowerAmp, does anybody know how I stop the file paths showing when looking at music in the "Folders" view? Or is that the whole point of the "Folders" view?
    That's the whole point.

You can change it a little by hitting Menu in the Folders and selecting List Options

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    Anyone here actually used ICS?

I'm kinda bored with Android and just want something "that works." I hope ICS changes things dramatically, else I'm jumping ship.
    Jump ship? And have less changes per phone...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by johnnn)
    Jump ship? And have less changes per phone...
    I got plenty of gripes but ICS seems to be addressing most of them so that's a step forward. For example, it's incorporating a lot of stuff which you currently have to download apps for.

I also want to see it more streamlined. Widgets of uniform size and more of a themed interface across all apps. It looks like a mish mash of stuff at the moment and compared to the competition it can look rather ugly (Android is the ugliest of the three OS's by a margin, excluding Blackberry cos I have no idea what they look like). In the past it didn't matter so much, but today aesthetics matter.

On the hardware front, I am not interested in screens bigger than 4", and I imagine most of the population would agree. Yet on Android, the best handsets are the ginormous ones so I guess I'm not the target audience anymore.

So putting that all together, my next handset is likely to be elsewhere that's why I asked if anyone had used ICS and whether it was good. It does look good in the videos, I just hope it's a major overhaul.

ReputationRep:
    Decent: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISA...ht_4516wt_1141

ReputationRep:
    That's a really good price for a super thin high specced tablet like that. I've texted my bro who's looking for one.

ReputationRep:
    That's a really good price for a super thin high specced tablet like that. I've texted my bro who's looking for one.
    There's 32GB ones and white ones too: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/digigood/m...&_trksid=p3686

Refurbs, if you didn't know already

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    There's 32GB ones and white ones too: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/digigood/m...&_trksid=p3686

Refurbs, if you didn't know already
    Yep I noticed they were refurbs. Good deals nonetheless :top:

ReputationRep:
    Yep I noticed they were refurbs. Good deals nonetheless :top:
    Yeah, absolutely. I just felt I should clarify that because the only place I'd seen mention of them being refurbs before posting here was on Hot UK Deals and not on eBay

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.