Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    One problem I have with Three is that they literally only do 3G.

If you're in Edge or GPRS zones then you can't make any use of the internet.

Other than that they're pretty good (and cheap for rolling contracts )

ReputationRep:
    Orange San Fran is really getting on my tits atm.

I put CM7 on it for my dad but it has this really annoying bug that basically renders it useless if you receive a phone call (screen goes black, unresponsive to buttons).

I'm trying the latest nightly on a clean install but idk. I hope that CM9 works better on it.

Anyone with this phone recommend me a decent 2.2 build (maybe one that looks nice) to put on his phone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    Orange San Fran is really getting on my tits atm.

I put CM7 on it for my dad but it has this really annoying bug that basically renders it useless if you receive a phone call (screen goes black, unresponsive to buttons).

I'm trying the latest nightly on a clean install but idk. I hope that CM9 works better on it.

Anyone with this phone recommend me a decent 2.2 build (maybe one that looks nice) to put on his phone?
    Was it on 7.1.0?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Repressor)
    Was it on 7.1.0?
    Yeah. Problem persisted on the latest nightly.

ReputationRep:
    My SGS2 is due for delivery today. I think I got one of the best deals around. I hope I can used to the screen size. Anyone recommend a decent slim case? I'm liking the Samsung mesh case but I can't tell if it covers the corners.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    My SGS2 is due for delivery today. I think I got one of the best deals around. I hope I can used to the screen size. Anyone recommend a decent slim case? I'm liking the Samsung mesh case but I can't tell if it covers the corners.
    II picked up a silicon casemate one from carphone warehouse for a tenner but I think I'm going to change it soon cos it's a bugger to get in and out of my pockets. My friends have got a £25 casemate which is more solid and not as grippy which I think I'll buy with Christmas money

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizard710)
    II picked up a silicon casemate one from carphone warehouse for a tenner but I think I'm going to change it soon cos it's a bugger to get in and out of my pockets. My friends have got a £25 casemate which is more solid and not as grippy which I think I'll buy with Christmas money
    £25 casemate is probably the casemate tough? That case is bulky. I want to retain as much of the SGS2 slim and sleek look as possible.
    There are a few SGP ones I like but they all have issues and SGP quality is hardly worth writing home about.

Do you get any echo with a solid case (ie the person you are calling hears an echo)? This is another issue where some people are saying a case interferes with second mic.

ReputationRep:
    what deal did you get?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by biffyclyro27)
    what deal did you get?
    Posted above:

Surprised nobody posted it yet. The SGS2 for effectively £20/month 900 mins 5000 texts 1gb internet (or £3 extra for truly unlimited) or 500 mins for £17, 24 months on 3 network.
    I think it's an awesome deal and close to SIM only deals, kinda like getting the phone free.

I'm not sure whether Affordable Mobiles have the stock to cope, but head over to HUKD for th link.
    I got the £20/month one and Quidco has tracked at £60. Woohoo. LINK White or Black available (I like white but it doesn't suit the SGS2 or iPhone 4 for that matter).

ReputationRep:
    Anyone had a play about with the Samsung Galaxy 5.0 Wifi? That little Mp3/tablet device?

ReputationRep:
    I got the £20/month one and Quidco has tracked at £60. Woohoo. LINK White or Black available (I like white but it doesn't suit the SGS2 or iPhone 4 for that matter).
    I might have to jump on that deal! But I upgraded with 3 around 2 months ago on a £6/month sim only deal for 12 months. I might have to cancel that and then port over my number to the new sim.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone want to help me out? I've asked on XDA but no response.

I've got a HP Touchpad running CM7.1 so Gingerbread 2.3.7 anyway, it's wifi only and I'm away over christmas with no internet (boooo hiss), I've got unlimited internet on my phone but it can't be a wifi hotspot, BUT it can be a bluetooth modem, anyone know of a way to make android use a bluetooth modem for it's connection (google only tells how to use as and not with a blutooth modem). Would massively help me out. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itsmyname)
    I might have to jump on that deal! But I upgraded with 3 around 2 months ago on a £6/month sim only deal for 12 months. I might have to cancel that and then port over my number to the new sim.
    You might want to speak to them first. They may not let you cancel and/or might charge you the full remaining fees.

My SGS has just arrived! That's two people in my household who've had good dealings with Affordable Mobiles. Besides the stock issue, I don't see why they are getting negative rep (I am really not fussed about waiting 1 week or even 2). I ordered 9 Dec and it's arrived today.

ReputationRep:
    You might want to speak to them first. They may not let you cancel and/or might charge you the full remaining fees.

My SGS has just arrived! That's two people in my household who've had good dealings with Affordable Mobiles. Besides the stock issue, I don't see why they are getting negative rep (I am really not fussed about waiting 1 week or even 2). I ordered 9 Dec and it's arrived today.
    I think I'll have to pay the remaining months, so thats £60. Not too bad. Were you already on a contract with 3 and did you cancel?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itsmyname)
    I think I'll have to pay the remaining months, so thats £60. Not too bad. Were you already on a contract with 3 and did you cancel?
    I'm with 3 on SIM only monthly, so only a '30 day contract.' I'll be cancelling it as soon as I've put the new SIM in and tested the phone.

Edit: looks like this deal has expired. Now £121 up front.

ReputationRep:
    Expired

Anyone know what the Xperia Play is like?

ReputationRep:
    £25 casemate is probably the casemate tough? That case is bulky. I want to retain as much of the SGS2 slim and sleek look as possible.
    There are a few SGP ones I like but they all have issues and SGP quality is hardly worth writing home about.

Do you get any echo with a solid case (ie the person you are calling hears an echo)? This is another issue where some people are saying a case interferes with second mic.
    Yeah, I think it is but I can't help you as I have the casemate silicon. Looking around you could see if you can get like a sticker skin or something? I like my case being a bit thick, the phone feels too slim and feels like it will slip out of my hands

ReputationRep:
    Okay i'm due a upgrade from tomorrow. Looks like i'm going for the Galaxy 2.
    Unless anyone else has any better suggestions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizard710)
    Yeah, I think it is but I can't help you as I have the casemate silicon. Looking around you could see if you can get like a sticker skin or something? I like my case being a bit thick, the phone feels too slim and feels like it will slip out of my hands
    I've ordered the Zenus Air Jacket Monochrome. Probably won't offer a great deal of protection compared to a softcase but I do like the look.

ReputationRep:
    For you GS2 users, this case is pretty good:
    http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/pho...LS2-BARELY-BLA

(Original post by theronkinator)
    Anyone want to help me out? I've asked on XDA but no response.

I've got a HP Touchpad running CM7.1 so Gingerbread 2.3.7 anyway, it's wifi only and I'm away over christmas with no internet (boooo hiss), I've got unlimited internet on my phone but it can't be a wifi hotspot, BUT it can be a bluetooth modem, anyone know of a way to make android use a bluetooth modem for it's connection (google only tells how to use as and not with a blutooth modem). Would massively help me out. Thanks.
    Anyone?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.