Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    :dontknow:

How can a phone receive data when it has no data connection.

Regarding the Note, and plenty of other Android phones; It's a shame that in order to get a smooth Android experience you've got to go down the custom ROM route.

weird... I thought maybe it turns on mobile data to update itself? I'll have to keep an eye on it, it's very strange.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by biffyclyro27)
    weird... I thought maybe it turns on mobile data to update itself? I'll have to keep an eye on it, it's very strange.
    Presuming you've not got something like Tasker set to turn on data at a certain time?

ReputationRep:
    Quick question for you guys. My mobile internet and wifi were both off last night on my HTC Sensation. However, I managed to receive an email at 3.20 in the morning which woke me up! How does it do this? On my hero, it only synced the data when you had wifi or mobile internet on.
    It shouldn't do. You could try turning off sync for the night as well see if that is forcing it to reconnect. Would be a bit worried if it was tho

ReputationRep:
    Presuming you've not got something like Tasker set to turn on data at a certain time?
    Nope, nothing like that. Just got it a few days ago, so haven't done anything out of the ordinary.

(Original post by wizard710)
    It shouldn't do. You could try turning off sync for the night as well see if that is forcing it to reconnect. Would be a bit worried if it was tho
    Yeah, I'll give it ago.

The only other thing I could think of is that Wifi/internet was still on, but the icon was not displaying for some reason.

Anyway, at least I know it's not normal now!

ReputationRep:
    GMote is amazing!

ReputationRep:
    Played with Transformer original with dock in hmv today. It's awesome and I now really want a 3G Prime. :sad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    Played with Transformer original with dock in hmv today. It's awesome and I now really want a 3G Prime. :sad:

Have they announced a UK 3G model?

ReputationRep:
    No. That's why I was sad.

ReputationRep:
    Quick question for you guys. My mobile internet and wifi were both off last night on my HTC Sensation. However, I managed to receive an email at 3.20 in the morning which woke me up! How does it do this? On my hero, it only synced the data when you had wifi or mobile internet on.
    My SGS2 does the same thing. I've seen wifi come on momentarily sometimes even when the toggle is off. I think it's doing this every now and then. I get lots of emails with all data shut off. It could be the 3G toggle not working correctly, but I haven't narrowed it down.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone have the LG 2x?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itsmyname)
    Anyone have the LG 2x?
    Nope, I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 though.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone have the LG 2x?
    Worst phone I've ever had. kept crashing / freezing. Hope yours is better! Anything I can help you with.

ReputationRep:
    Worst phone I've ever had. kept crashing / freezing. Hope yours is better! Anything I can help you with.
    Oh, that's not good then. I haven't bought it, just looking around for a decent android phone. Looking at a GS2 second hand, I have the money for it but I can't psychologically justify spending £300+ in one go on a device, prefer spreading the cost over a contract. But the sim only contract I'm on now (which would cost too much to terminate) + buying the phone would work out cheaper than a contract.

That's why the GS2 needs to drop in price Lol

ReputationRep:
    When you getting your T-Prime btw?

ReputationRep:
    Oh, that's not good then. I haven't bought it, just looking around for a decent android phone. Looking at a GS2 second hand, I have the money for it but I can't psychologically justify spending £300+ in one go on a device, prefer spreading the cost over a contract. But the sim only contract I'm on now (which would cost too much to terminate) + buying the phone would work out cheaper than a contract.

That's why the GS2 needs to drop in price Lol
    If you can find a 2x that works, its honestly a brilliant phone. The software is utterly gash though. I think it has cyanogen support, so I'd highly recommend going that route. Finally, you can see a dot matrix covering the screen in Sun light. It's not too bad, but noticeable.

My sis has a sgs2... She doesn't even know what the market is.... :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    Are there any word processors out there for Android that do real-time spell check and highlighting (Word red squiggle style)?

I know this is more or less negated by correction at source... but with a physical keyboard it's more of a requirement :beard:

ReputationRep:
    So, I got a Galaxy Nexus today

I would love to know some hints/tips on how to get started, what are some good apps, what does rooting involve and should I do it, etc. Does anyone know any good resources for info etc?

Thanks for any help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    When you getting your T-Prime btw?
    It will hopefully be delivered on the 28th and so my cousin will bring it back on the 1st/2nd

ReputationRep:
    It will hopefully be delivered on the 28th and so my cousin will bring it back on the 1st/2nd
    Keep us posted :sogood:

Purple or Champagne?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tface)
    So, I got a Galaxy Nexus today

I would love to know some hints/tips on how to get started, what are some good apps, what does rooting involve and should I do it, etc. Does anyone know any good resources for info etc?

Thanks for any help
    You've probably come across XDA already but it's a really good site for general tips - and also specifics like rooting - concerning mobile phones.

Here's the Galaxy Nexus sub-forum: http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1336

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.