x Turn on thread page Beta

Android OS watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I like that the Galaxy Nexus General forum is "1337"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tface)
    So, I got a Galaxy Nexus today

I would love to know some hints/tips on how to get started, what are some good apps, what does rooting involve and should I do it, etc. Does anyone know any good resources for info etc?

Thanks for any help
    It's a fantastic phone!

Everything you will ever need are on these two forums:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1336

http://android.modaco.com/forum/571-...exusmodacocom/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarrenDM)
    It's a fantastic phone!

Everything you will ever need are on these two forums:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1336

http://android.modaco.com/forum/571-...exusmodacocom/
    Thanks man

ReputationRep:
    Can't wait for my Transformer Prime, sadly I will have to keep a MiFi in my back pocket as there isn't going to be a 3G version available this time around.

On the positive side it runs stock Honeycomb, which equates to Stock ICS when the update comes about in January. Was going to leap for the Tab 10.1, but what TouchWiz does to the tab is just plain nasty.. Absolutely unbearable...

ReputationRep:
    Another good thing, now, is that we have seen leaks of Touchwiz, Timescape and Sense all ontop of Ice Cream Sandwich... it makes me happy to see that these unnecessary layers are getting toned down and all three now have some elements of stock.

People have been wanting stock ICS on their devices from manufacturers, what they don't understand is that people have gotten used to the likes of Touchwiz and Sense. But hopefully over time, these will EVENTUALLY fall away as Android gets better and better and new devices come out where old users don't have to be confused by having a new firmware with a new UI and everything revamped.

ReputationRep:
    My concern is that I don't feel manufacturers are innovating. Is touchwiz innovation?- no, it is just copying the iPhone. SenseUI yes, when Android stock UI looked ugly, it was justifiable. But now, with sense, they should only keep the bits that stock ICS doesn't have.

If we equate stock android OS to a car,we can say that HTC and Samsung are given a car by google. Now what HTC and Samsung are doing is ripping out components like the steering wheel and putting their own in, but what they should be doing is adding additional bells and whistles and trying to differentiate from eachother instead of what they are doing now.

HTC have got the right idea, partnering with beats, but still, only earphones? come on, we all know htc are famous for headphones, not earphones,

ReputationRep:
    Having another problem with the Sensation now. Mobile data just won't work, it never connects. Need to ring Vodafone about it really. It's bloody annoying. Only just started happening since updating to 2.3.4

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by biffyclyro27)
    Having another problem with the Sensation now. Mobile data just won't work, it never connects. Need to ring Vodafone about it really. It's bloody annoying. Only just started happening since updating to 2.3.4
    Check your apns. If you've not got them, just add them. That'd be my guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itsmyname)
    Oh, that's not good then. I haven't bought it, just looking around for a decent android phone. Looking at a GS2 second hand, I have the money for it but I can't psychologically justify spending £300+ in one go on a device, prefer spreading the cost over a contract. But the sim only contract I'm on now (which would cost too much to terminate) + buying the phone would work out cheaper than a contract.

That's why the GS2 needs to drop in price Lol
    You can get a GS2 new sim-free and unlocked for £262 with payment spread across 24-month if you are willing to jump through some hoops.

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/sams...4-with-1057523

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone tell me how to get GTA III working on the SGS2, it was all fine and dandy for about 7 missions and now it doesn't wanna load.

ReputationRep:
    About to update to 2.3 finally...

Was wondering what I needed to backup if anything and how I could do this? Ive looked at Titanium Backup but my phone isn't rooted. I dont mind reinstalling my apps, but is there much else to backup?

I dont want to lose my contacts tho obviously. Anyone know how I can sync them with my Gmail account? They are currently 'phone contacts' on the sim I think, and only the few contacts I've entered since getting the phone have synced to Google. (I don't have a SD card otherwise would have tried export/import)

Any ideas? Of course, if updating to 2.3 from froyo doesn't require all this backing up then I won't bother.

ReputationRep:
    Galaxy Nexus or S2?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have the Arc S? What's the phone like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sammyvine)
    Galaxy Nexus or S2?
    I have the Galaxy Nexus and it is fantastic Don't know about the S2 but seeing as the GN is the first phone with ICS, I would imagine it has longer future proofing in terms of android updates. If someone can tell me I'm wrong then please do so

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tface)
    I have the Galaxy Nexus and it is fantastic Don't know about the S2 but seeing as the GN is the first phone with ICS, I would imagine it has longer future proofing in terms of android updates. If someone can tell me I'm wrong then please do so
    I think you're wrong, the S2 is getting ics only several months or so after the release it the nexus

ReputationRep:
    But you only have to look at how Sammy is handling info about updating the original galaxy S to get an idea of what's in store.

ReputationRep:
    https://market.android.com/details?i...martanuj.funny

Great app it's hilarious and a great time passer. Free too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    Check your apns. If you've not got them, just add them. That'd be my guess.
    Yeah, that was the problem. Didn't have much time to play around before, but just restored APN settings to default and it fixed it.

ReputationRep:
    I take it nobody has the Arc S then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itsmyname)
    I take it nobody has the Arc S then?
    Yep, fantastic phone for the price, got it on a 12 month contract a couple of months back.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.