Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizard710)
    I've spent most of the day learning a bit of java and have managed to get my own application working where you press a button and it pops up on the screen saying that I am awesome. I am that good
    haha that's great, make sure you update us on any apps that you make.

I'm also thinking about making some apps. Are there any resources you would recommend?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by idiopathic)
    I love you guys. A few weeks ago Id never heard of Android or the HTC hero. Now I bought it (Hero) and it is unbelievable!

a few noob questions
    - has anyone bought the case and screen protector? do you recommend it and from where?
    - can someone explain all this 1.6, 2.0, tegra business?
    - are there any musts I need to do/download?
    - I just put a bunch of photos (copy and paste via PC) onto the phone/card - how can I organise them into albums? At the moment it shows ALL the photos (including the ones that come wit the phone)
    1.5 is the version of Android which the Hero runs on, but HTC are skipping 2.0 and releasing Android 2.1 for the Hero soon, which you will be able to download for free.

The apps I use most are Spotify, Taskiller, NewsRob, TV Guide, beebPlayer, FML, etc.

Create folders on the SD card with your computer and put the pictures in there, there might be an app which allows you to do it on your phone but I've never bothered to look.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hasan)
    haha that's great, make sure you update us on any apps that you make.

I'm also thinking about making some apps. Are there any resources you would recommend?
    The android documentation here http://developer.android.com is ok but can be fairly basic and not very helpful if you are learning like me. I have asked for a couple of android books for christmas and if I don't get them I'm going to buy them. I'll make sure to tell you what I think of them in the future

ReputationRep:
    Is the Milestone worth it guys?

£450 for the phone, then a ~£25/mo contract w/ unlimited internet.

Just soo bored of my iPhone 3G. It's either this or a Blackberry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaph)
    At that cost - no chance. However, I'd like to play with one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaph)

£450 for the phone, then a ~£25/mo contract w/ unlimited internet.

Just soo bored of my iPhone 3G. It's either this or a Blackberry.
    It's £49.99 with a £35 monthly contract with unlimited texts/interenet for 18 months on expansys which seems like a good deal.

The milestone is definatly one of the best android phone out at the moment. Though Google's Nexus one looks promising which will be out in 2010. I would wait a bit anyhow since there looks like there will be an explosion of android phones on the market in 2010.

ReputationRep:
    I'm getting my T-mobile Pulse soon

Has anybody got this phone? Any apps which I must have? :p:

Also, I can't find any cases for the damned thing, all I can find are pouches :s:

ReputationRep:
    The milestone does look like a really good phone and might possibly usurp the Hero

ReputationRep:
    The milestone does look like a really good phone and might possibly usurp the Hero
    Agreed hardware wise, though I think that Sense will take some beating.

ReputationRep:
    This Nexus One is looking reasonable though, good point. Plus the XPERIA X10.

ReputationRep:
    The Hero gets Expose!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    The Hero gets Expose!

Do you have any more screens, where did you get this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meus)
    Do you have any more screens, where did you get this?
    I don't. It's from the XDA forums. It seems that a few people already use Eclair on the Hero over there (hardly surprising) and this is one of the nice new features!

ReputationRep:
    I don't. It's from the XDA forums. It seems that a few people already use Eclair on the Hero over there (hardly surprising) and this is one of the nice new features!
    :3

ReputationRep:
    The Hero gets Expose!

looks good but I only use 2 home screens and 1 widget so it doesn't keep processes running to constantly update them

ReputationRep:
    looks good but I only use 2 home screens and 1 widget so it doesn't keep processes running to constantly update them
    I've got use for all my homescreens, though I only use the media player and fave people widgets.

ReputationRep:
    Can you choose which application are on contantly? My Hero locks up sometimes after running too many things, i'll kill all the processes and then half of them reappear a second later.

Also, I sometimes get this weird bug where I press the home button to get off an application, and it'll slide onto the second home screen, rather than the main one. Anybody else get this?

Is there a solid release date for 2.1 as well? I'm on Orange is they're any different.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -WhySoSerious?)
    Can you choose which application are on contantly? My Hero locks up sometimes after running too many things, i'll kill all the processes and then half of them reappear a second later.
    Nope. Not that I'm aware of any way. The Hero will always try to run "Phone" and "TouchFlo" .

Also, I sometimes get this weird bug where I press the home button to get off an application, and it'll slide onto the second home screen, rather than the main one. Anybody else get this?
    Nope - but I'm using a custom ROM.

Is there a solid release date for 2.1 as well? I'm on Orange is they're any different.
    Not yet. And probably a week or so later!

ReputationRep:
    I've got use for all my homescreens, though I only use the media player and fave people widgets.
    Awesome thread just stumbled across it now :top2:

Any ideas for a good Android phone for around 150 ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guvnor)
    Awesome thread just stumbled across it now :top2:

Any ideas for a good Android phone for around 150 ?
    Welcome!

Fraid I can't help you there dude. You're looking at around £300 for an Android phone on PAYG at the moment. I'm not aware of a budget Android phone yet... but I'd guess they'll come sooner rather than later.

Cheapest I know of (new) will be the HTC Tattoo.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.