Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by estel)
    4.0.2 was a minor update that applied only to the US Galaxy Nexus.
    4.0.3 was released to developers only three weeks ago. As it's an SDK update there's a larger delay before it rolls out to devices, so you'll probably get an over the air update in the next couple of weeks. (Carriers do not have to accept updates to the Nexus).
    I believe mine is unlocked but I may be wrong as it was a Christmas present, it is definitely unbranded carrier wise and I'm on a SIM only contract, but could it have been bought from for example the T mobile store (I have my SIM only contract with them) still locked?

EDIT - Yeah it is unlocked.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, all Galaxy Nexus' are sold unlocked.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    RIGHT.

The keyboard: is it good enough for long use? I plan to use it for lectures etc so need to be fast for hour stints.
    Sorry I didn't get the keyboard dock but the onscreen keyboard is good enough for light use
    How's your GPS without WiFi? (I don't plan to use it but curious)
    I stood outside for about 3 minutes the other night and there were no clouds and I couldn't locate any satellites
    How's your WiFi (distance and speed wise)?
    WIFI feels like fairly standard wifi. Phone and tablet get the same signal strength sat next to each other
    Could you look at this and try about some Office apps and see what's good? http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1416220
    Google docs is fairly white but I'm going to look around and invest in a decent office suite. I'll tell you more when I do
    I may think of more later.

Could you install this and tell me if it's any good? https://market.android.com/details?i...3dzZXIucGFkIl0.

could you test wired tethering to your phone? I doubt it'll work but it'd be nice.
    [/quote] Wifi tethering works beautifully between my phone and my S2 and dolphin for pad is good but is very much a beta so between that firefox and the stock browser I'm alright but I'm looking forward to the new browser in ICS [quote]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizard710)
    Sorry I didn't get the keyboard dock but the onscreen keyboard is good enough for light use I stood outside for about 3 minutes the other night and there were no clouds and I couldn't locate any satellites WIFI feels like fairly standard wifi. Phone and tablet get the same signal strength sat next to each other Google docs is fairly white but I'm going to look around and invest in a decent office suite. I'll tell you more when I do
    Wifi tethering works beautifully between my phone and my S2 and dolphin for pad is good but is very much a beta so between that firefox and the stock browser I'm alright but I'm looking forward to the new browser in ICS Happy with the purchase? Or relying on ICS to make it worthwhile?

ReputationRep:
    I'm due for a upgrade next month and what should i get?!
    Defo a Android.
    S2 or Galaxy Nexus?
    I know galaxy nexus has the 4.0 android and SII will get that update aswell according to Samsung. So im stuck!
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 09042850)
    Defo a Android.
    S2 or Galaxy Nexus?
    I know galaxy nexus has the 4.0 android and SII will get that update aswell according to Samsung. So im stuck!
    Thanks
    Both a similarly powered. The Nexus is much bigger and has a better screen but the size may put you off somewhat.

Nexus will also receive updates much quicker. With Samsung there's no telling when the Galaxy S 2 will be deemed dead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 09042850)
    Defo a Android.
    S2 or Galaxy Nexus?
    Thanks
    The main factor is the screen size. I have the Galaxy Nexus, and the screen really is large. I love it but some people may not. Also, as G8D said, the GN should receive updates quicker.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    Wifi tethering works beautifully between my phone and my S2 and dolphin for pad is good but is very much a beta so between that firefox and the stock browser I'm alright but I'm looking forward to the new browser in ICS

Happy with the purchase? Or relying on ICS to make it worthwhile?
    Yeah definitely happy with the purchase and ICS will definitely make it better

ReputationRep:

**** off Acer :sad:

Keyboard attachment? :puppyeyes:

ReputationRep:
    How do I uninstall apps that came with the phone? There's no uninstall option for these apps, but they keep running in the background, and stay running again after I kill them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itsmyname)
    How do I uninstall apps that came with the phone? There's no uninstall option for these apps, but they keep running in the background, and stay running again after I kill them
    You'll probably need to have Super User access (or Root access as it is also known) and an application such as Root Uninstaller.

How you get root depends on your phone, but most people will use Super One Click to achieve this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    You'll probably need to have Super User access (or Root access as it is also known) and an application such as Root Uninstaller.

How you get root depends on your phone, but most people will use Super One Click to achieve this.
    Are there any disadvantages to routing? warranty becoming void or anything?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itsmyname)
    Are there any disadvantages to routing? warranty becoming void or anything?
    Root access means that if you got malicious software on your phone, it could really, really screw it. However, this is unlikely.

Regarding warranty, perhaps, but you can easily undo it and leave no trace that you ever had it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    Root access means that if you got malicious software on your phone, it could really, really screw it. However, this is unlikely.

Regarding warranty, perhaps, but you can easily undo it and leave no trace that you ever had it.
    Do you have to completely wipe the phone to root?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tface)
    Do you have to completely wipe the phone to root?
    Nope. SuperOneClick exposes an exploit in ADB (a method of communicating with Android over USB) which allows you to *almost* just install it as if it were any other app.

However, if you have a secure phone, then this is another story. It depends entirely on what phone you have.

ReputationRep:
    Gee thanks Asus http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/Andro..._4/story01.htm

ReputationRep:
    :perv:

ReputationRep:
    Someone linked this in response to the new T-Prime HD and Asus: http://youtu.be/7qb0vquRcys

:mmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    Someone linked this in response to the new T-Prime HD and Asus: http://youtu.be/7qb0vquRcys

:mmm:
    Tbh its am extra 100 bucks for a better screen and back of the tablet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizard710)
    Tbh its am extra 100 bucks for a better screen and back of the tablet
    I value screen density over most other features.

I have 1080p on my 15" laptop, imagine that squeezed onto 10.1" :sogood:
    Even better if they get Windows 8 hacked onto it :coma:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.