Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    you can hardly blame them for releasing new models.... Technology becomes obsolete so quickly these days, it's not worth keeping up with the current model until it brings significant benefits.

ReputationRep:
    That's messed up, they should be exchanging the old devices or offering major discounts to existing customers. 1 month and already a major upgrade?!

This is why I'm never an early adopter to anything. Learnt my lesson a long time ago.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    That's messed up, they should be exchanging the old devices or offering major discounts to existing customers. 1 month and already a major upgrade?!

This is why I'm never an early adopter to anything. Learnt my lesson a long time ago.
    I think they should at least offer some sort of hardware fix for the weak WiFi/GPS/Bluetooth.

Most people aren't that bothered about the screen.

Plus this is $100 more expensive and they intend to continue selling both alongside each other.

Do you guys reckon the "700" in the model number indicates that Asus had heard tell of the Acer Iconia A700 before it was shown? :beard:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)

already a major upgrade planned. Might not hit shelves until quarter 4...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by biffyclyro27)
    already a major upgrade planned. Might not hit shelves until quarter 4...
    Coming Q2 as far as I'm aware.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but I have ICS now :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizard710)
    Yeah but I have ICS now :woo:
    Tell us how it's better :puppyeyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    Tell us how it's better :puppyeyes:
    In every way. Honestly, it's swung me away from Sense for the first time in a long while...

The speed of the UI is just incredible...and I'm only using a beta custom ROM...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    In every way. Honestly, it's swung me away from Sense for the first time in a long while...

The speed of the UI is just incredible...and I'm only using a beta custom ROM...
    I meant specifically on a tablet :pierre:

I tried a beta briefly but doesn't seem to support app2EXT yet so it's a no go.

ReputationRep:
    I just rooted my htc desire today and I want to create a partition in my micro sd so that my apps can be stored in it through GParted method.
    But I don't quite understand one thing, it says that you need a custom ROM.
    So what do I do first i.e. download custom ROM or do the GParted thing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cazzy-joe)
    I just rooted my htc desire today and I want to create a partition in my micro sd so that my apps can be stored in it through GParted method.
    But I don't quite understand one thing, it says that you need a custom ROM.
    So what do I do first i.e. download custom ROM or do the GParted thing?
    Two options:

1)What you need (from the sound of it) is to install a custom recovery on your phone, find a ROM that supports apps2EXT and then partition the SD card using the built in tools in your custom recovery.
    Note: this will probably wipe your SD card so back it up to PC first.

2)If you want to do it via GParted then it doesn't really matter when you do it. Before installing the ROM is probably best as then it'll be able to install to SD on your first boot.

Remember to backup your apps, installing a new ROM = loss of all apps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    Two options:

1)What you need (from the sound of it) is to install a custom recovery on your phone, find a ROM that supports apps2EXT and then partition the SD card using the built in tools in your custom recovery.
    Note: this will probably wipe your SD card so back it up to PC first.

2)If you want to do it via GParted then it doesn't really matter when you do it. Before installing the ROM is probably best as then it'll be able to install to SD on your first boot.

Remember to backup your apps, installing a new ROM = loss of all apps.
    Thank you so much
    Now, I have done the GParted thing and just wondering if I continue to use the existing ROM (which I assume it's the one which comes with the phone originally) is it better than using custom ROMs?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much
    Now, I have done the GParted thing and just wondering if I continue to use the existing ROM (which I assume it's the one which comes with the phone originally) is it better than using custom ROMs?
    It's up to you.

apps2EXT doesn't work on your ROM by default. If you can find a patch to allow it to happen and you'd be happy to do that then go for it.

Custom ROMs can offer benefits depending on what you want out of your phone but if all you want is extra space for apps I'd look into patching your ROM instead of replacing it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    It's up to you.

apps2EXT doesn't work on your ROM by default. If you can find a patch to allow it to happen and you'd be happy to do that then go for it.

Custom ROMs can offer benefits depending on what you want out of your phone but if all you want is extra space for apps I'd look into patching your ROM instead of replacing it.
    And if I install custom ROM but later on want to use original one, is that possible?

ReputationRep:
    And if I install custom ROM but later on want to use original one, is that possible?
    You can make a total backup of your phone from within Clockwork Recovery.

This is something you either already have or will be installing in order to install a new ROM anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Got Netflix US rocking on my phone. Awesome! Glad I got the SGS2 now, I can just about watch something on the puney screen.

ReputationRep:
    I have done nandroid backup as well as "back up current ROM" and now I want to flash new ROM (cyanogenmod).
    Can anyone tell me how to restore back the apps and settings to cyanogenmod after I flash ROM?

ReputationRep:
    I have done nandroid backup as well as "back up current ROM" and now I want to flash new ROM (cyanogenmod).
    Can anyone tell me how to restore back the apps and settings to cyanogenmod after I flash ROM?
    You'll need Titanium Backup for that. Nandroid is a full on system snapshot - If you restore that, you restore the entire ROM + Apps + Data.

If I were you, I'd get Titanium backup, backup your user apps ONLY, then flash the new ROM then restore your user apps again.

Welcome to the world of fun Android! :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    You'll need Titanium Backup for that. Nandroid is a full on system snapshot - If you restore that, you restore the entire ROM + Apps + Data.

If I were you, I'd get Titanium backup, backup your user apps ONLY, then flash the new ROM then restore your user apps again.

Welcome to the world of fun Android! :awesome:
    Also, I did partition my micro sd yesterday so the new flash ROM will automatically put (some of) new downloaded apps into micro sd right or is there option I have to click?

ReputationRep:
    Also, I did partition my micro sd yesterday so the new flash ROM will automatically put (some of) new downloaded apps into micro sd right or is there option I have to click?
    Ooooh.... I don't know tbh. You'd be better off asking the guys who post in the related thread to your ROM over on XDA forums. Each ROM can be specced very differently and each version will have it's own foibles. Having never really used Cyanogen ROMs, I can't possibly comment on that.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.