The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mikeyd85
Not really. Screen resolution isn't the only deciding factor when choosing a new phone.

Well I was talking more about the bragging rights than anything else

Original post by alexs2602
Fair point, I think I'd need to compare them side by side to be sure but I like the fact I should be able to play 1080p vids on them without the video having to be scaled down. It's more the fact I think it's amazing tech, we're getting to the point where phones can do the same a full desktop computer could do in recent memory. My Dad owns a better phone than his desktop. In our pockets we have devices capable of doing so much and it's only getting better. My 22" monitor is 1920x1080.

That is true, but it seems as though batteries aren't progressing as rapidly as screen resolutions/processors/GPUs/etc. nowadays so there will come a point whereby advancement will be limited. I think no matter how powerful phones get, unless if you plan on using a monitor/tv along with some accessories, the experience just won't be the same as a desktop. I mean, even if phones are capable of advanced image editing, I still don't see myself ever using a phone instead of photoshop on the computer for example.
Original post by coconut2456
That is true, but it seems as though batteries aren't progressing as rapidly as screen resolutions/processors/GPUs/etc. nowadays so there will come a point whereby advancement will be limited. I think no matter how powerful phones get, unless if you plan on using a monitor/tv along with some accessories, the experience just won't be the same as a desktop. I mean, even if phones are capable of advanced image editing, I still don't see myself ever using a phone instead of photoshop on the computer for example.

Oh, ofc. Pixel density is nearing the maximum it needs to advance right now. Soon it will be getting the screen as thin as possible and improved colour accuracy. I'm fairly sure I read somewhere that the pixel density required to make pixels indistinguishable to the human eye is between 300 and 400 ppi. There's still a fair bit of advancement available in some areas due to advancements in software though, I think. And of course there are some things where portability is a disadvantage rather an advantage.
Well I was talking more about the bragging rights than anything else

Oooooh! I'm with you. Yeah, that or a Galaxy S3 I'd guess.

You can approach battery life in two ways. Bigger batteries / more efficient batteries, which there has been a lot of progress in the last few years but not so much hitting the consumer market yet, or more efficient screens / CPUs / GPUs which seems to be much more common and works pretty well tbf.

With regards to phones becoming desktop replacements - won't happen. As good as the UI and touchsreens become, the greater real estate provided by a desktop monitor and the HIDs of PCs will remain superior.
Original post by alexs2602
Oh, ofc. Pixel density is nearing the maximum it needs to advance right now. Soon it will be getting the screen as thin as possible and improved colour accuracy. I'm fairly sure I read somewhere that the pixel density required to make pixels indistinguishable to the human eye is between 300 and 400 ppi. There's still a fair bit of advancement available in some areas due to advancements in software though, I think. And of course there are some things where portability is a disadvantage rather an advantage.

Agreed, there's still plenty that can be done in terms of software. More accurate and natural voice assistants is one thing.

Oooooh! I'm with you. Yeah, that or a Galaxy S3 I'd guess.

You can approach battery life in two ways. Bigger batteries / more efficient batteries, which there has been a lot of progress in the last few years but not so much hitting the consumer market yet, or more efficient screens / CPUs / GPUs which seems to be much more common and works pretty well tbf.

With regards to phones becoming desktop replacements - won't happen. As good as the UI and touchsreens become, the greater real estate provided by a desktop monitor and the HIDs of PCs will remain superior.

Ah yes, the S3 as well and soon the Lumia 920 too :colone:

Yeah, I've heard of a few ways in which batteries can become much more efficient, but they've mostly been at the research stage and have yet to hear of anything notable actually coming to consumer markets anytime soon.

Since we're on the topic of future phone advancements, what do you guys think of flexible displays? Last I heard, they were pretty close to coming to the consumer market.

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/samsung-evidently-pushes-flexible-amoled-display-release-to-2013-1106272
Agreed, there's still plenty that can be done in terms of software. More accurate and natural voice assistants is one thing.

Ah yes, the S3 as well and soon the Lumia 920 too :colone:

Yeah, I've heard of a few ways in which batteries can become much more efficient, but they've mostly been at the research stage and have yet to hear of anything notable actually coming to consumer markets anytime soon.

Since we're on the topic of future phone advancements, what do you guys think of flexible displays? Last I heard, they were pretty close to coming to the consumer market.

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/samsung-evidently-pushes-flexible-amoled-display-release-to-2013-1106272

I'm all for the extra thinness of the bendy display. Until they make a phone which is basically tiny until you press a button and the screen rolls out like a carpet, I doubt there'll be much use for it. At least, not for consumer mobile devices.
maybe they'll try a watch phone again :lol:
I'm all for the extra thinness of the bendy display. Until they make a phone which is basically tiny until you press a button and the screen rolls out like a carpet, I doubt there'll be much use for it. At least, not for consumer mobile devices.

It's pretty exciting that we're somewhat closer to the Nokia Morph concept video that was posted a while ago. Not sure how good the first phones using that tech will be, but we may eventually be able to wear them as watches for example which could be convenient. But yeah, I think it'll probably be more of a gimmick rather than anything useful at first. Don't really know how they will be able to fit the other components around a flexible mobile anyway.
I've been checking xda nearly every day to see if there's an update for my phone, and finally... there is! I've been telling myself not to care about not being up to date, but this, this is just great :excited:
Is it true that the latest version of android doesn't support flash?

That was it's biggest selling point for me imo, the fact that I could go onto any website and stream any video I wanted
Original post by itsmyname

That was it's biggest selling point for me imo, the fact that I could go onto any website and stream any video I wanted

I think it's just the built-in browser, and the Play Store not giving you access to it: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1774336

Do OTA updates delete everything? :eek:
It rebooted into recovery, what's going on?
Relocked my bootloader before flashing a stock recovery image :facepalm2:

How do I remedy this?
- Do a fresh backup with TWRP, copy backup onto computer
- Unlock bootloader again, lose everything
- Flash old/stock recovery image
- Relock
- Update
- Root again
- Restore data

?

... :s-smilie: Later.
(edited 11 years ago)
LG Nexus 4 on the carphone warehouse site. I wonder how much it will cost to buy outright? Might sell my S3 and get that if reviews are good :teehee:

Yes, it's true. If you have it installed on your phone before updating it will still be there. Apparently it still works ok in most cases, but according to Adobe there could be pretty bad effects.
Original post by G8D
I read somewhere that it was £400.
But I mean... 8GB storage, non expandable. That's ridiculous for this device.

Yeah it's £390. For 8GB with no expandable memory that's a complete rip off tbh. If it was that price for 16GB I'd be very interested.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by G8D
8GB shouldn't ever be considered enough with a closed device. If it had an SD slot then fair enough.

16GB is a minimum for a high end phone running high end apps/games. 32GB makes a lot more sense though.

This makes me think there could still something else we're yet to see, given that it's such a step down from the Galaxy Nexus in terms of memory :holmes:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Karma Charger
Yes, it's true. If you have it installed on your phone before updating it will still be there. Apparently it still works ok in most cases, but according to Adobe there could be pretty bad effects.

That's ridiculous, I mean that was one of the only reasons I preferred Android over iOS, I love streaming anything I want on my Arc S (still running 2.1.1 I think)

So if I was to get the S3, or tge Nexus 7, it won't have flash at all?
That's ridiculous, I mean that was one of the only reasons I preferred Android over iOS, I love streaming anything I want on my Arc S (still running 2.1.1 I think)

A lot of the streaming sites should be moving to HTML5 soon anyway so I don't really see what the problem is.

If you buy an S3 it should be running ICS so you can install it from the Google play store. Nexus 7 not officially, but there are loads of guides on how you can unofficially.

Original post by G8D
8GB shouldn't ever be considered enough with a closed device. If it had an SD slot then fair enough.

16GB is a minimum for a high end phone running high end apps/games. 32GB makes a lot more sense though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maybe this year they're allowing expandable memory. Doesn't seem likely though IMHO.
Glowing review of the Asus Padphone 2 on Engadget. They think it's the fastest phone available and it's pretty much vanilla Android. Sounds really impressive, with or without the dock.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)

Latest