Turn on thread page Beta

Android OS watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamz0770)
    T-Mobile and 24 months

Aw well I have a few friends on T-Mobile and they say its got alot better in recent times and I don't pay the contract so 24 months doesnt bother me too much.

In preperation I have a case, screen protectors and micro SD card but looking for apps is hard work. The marketplace is so unorginized?
    I am not on contract yet and really dont know whether I want to get into one again so I am still undecided on that. The deal sounds good but not sure of the practicality of it, so I am just still looking and will decide once I think a certain option is best for me, might even just get a rolling sim contract. 24 months is too long for me, if I did go for the deal then it will be the 18 month one, dont like the idea of being tied down for 2 years.

Anyway for the apps links consult the first page of this thread, I am sure many will be able to refer you to decent apps, I am sure they are plenty of free apps out there just need to look around a bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamz0770)
    . The marketplace is so unorginized?
    The market place will be better when using Android 1.6 or above. Added features, search options etc.

If I were to recommend one app, it would be WaveSecure Beta. It allow you to remotely lock, track, wipe and backup your files, either online or via text from a designated number(s).

Basically, if you lose your phone, you can stop people stealing your mins, email details, numbers etc...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    The market place will be better when using Android 1.6 or above. Added features, search options etc.

If I were to recommend one app, it would be WaveSecure Beta. It allow you to remotely lock, track, wipe and backup your files, either online or via text from a designated number(s).

Basically, if you lose your phone, you can stop people stealing your mins, email details, numbers etc...
    Ah thanks well all I can see when searching online is quite a small number of apps?

Is it organized differently when I access it from my phone? Also I cant see any kind of download option when looking from my PC. Is it only available when on the phone?

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys bit of a noob question but 2 days ago got my hero from tmobile with unlimited internet 1gb .asked the guy at the shop and he says I can browse all I want no restrictions and that the 1gb only applies to downloads. Is this true? Cos atm I don't turn off my mobile internet its always on, would you advise I turn it off when not in use?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gman2k8)
    Hey guys bit of a noob question but 2 days ago got my hero from tmobile with unlimited internet 1gb .asked the guy at the shop and he says I can browse all I want no restrictions and that the 1gb only applies to downloads. Is this true? Cos atm I don't turn off my mobile internet its always on, would you advise I turn it off when not in use?
    Browsing is part of your data allowance, as you have to download the web pages in order to view them.

ReputationRep:
    whens this donut thing out? haven't followed this for ages

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
    whens this donut thing out? haven't followed this for ages
    from google
    android 1.6 donut - released
    android 2.0 eclair - released
    android 2.1 flan(?) - not released (but hero rom leaked)

If you're asking about the Hero, donut is going to be skipped and HTC's giving us 2.1 direct.

3rd party ROMs are available in most cases on xda-developers, android.modaco or htcpedia. Running 2.0.1 from htcpedia (without SenseUI) myself, and its pretty stable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charith_a)
    from google
    android 1.6 donut - released
    android 2.0 eclair - released
    android 2.1 flan(?) - not released (but hero rom leaked)

If you're asking about the Hero, donut is going to be skipped and HTC's giving us 2.1 direct.

3rd party ROMs are available in most cases on xda-developers, android.modaco or htcpedia. Running 2.0.1 from htcpedia (without SenseUI) myself, and its pretty stable.
    right so i'm guessing i need to wait for 2.1 then, any idea when that's out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
    right so i'm guessing i need to wait for 2.1 then, any idea when that's out?
    For the Hero? Hopefully within the first quarter. HTC have to port over their apps to 2.1 which is taking them time.

Non SenseUI phones will probably get it much sooner.

We might get to know a bit more after Googles press event tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charith_a)
    For the Hero? Hopefully within the first quarter. HTC have to port over their apps to 2.1 which is taking them time.

Non SenseUI phones will probably get it much sooner.

We might get to know a bit more after Googles press event tomorrow.
    ah right ok thanks will probably check back in about 4 months then

ReputationRep:
    Wonder if any of you guys can help.

I'm pretty much sold on the T-Mobile G2 Touch (i.e. HTC Hero), but since the Nexus One is coming out, should I wait and see when it's due out or should I go for it? Is there going to be much of a difference between the Hero and the Nexus One? Obviously it hasn't been officially released yet but wondered if any of you would be able to speculate.

Also can you upgrade the OS on the Hero to the new Android 2.1?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smellslikemarmite)

I'm pretty much sold on the T-Mobile G2 Touch (i.e. HTC Hero), but since the Nexus One is coming out, should I wait and see when it's due out or should I go for it? Is there going to be much of a difference between the Hero and the Nexus One? Obviously it hasn't been officially released yet but wondered if any of you would be able to speculate.
    Why not wait until the details from the launch later today are released?

More than likely yes, I upgraded my Magic to the software on the Hero, so I imagine an upgrade to 2.1 on the Hero is not impossible.

ReputationRep:
    Id wait for the Nexus one press event should be in the next few days!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mprules)
    Id wait for the Nexus one press event should be in the next few days!
    It's today!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carl)
    It's today!
    Doh i checked the date when i posted that and forgot it was after midnight! Yea will prob be Today (Tuesday) Evening

ReputationRep:

Can't comment too much on the Nexus One but the HTC Hero is brilliant. Got mine yesterday and already love it. So glad I picked it over the N96 or the BBStorm

ReputationRep:

Get the Hero. It's a better spec'd phone than the Nexus.

The 2.1 update should be available from HTC soon.

ReputationRep:
    Is it?

ReputationRep:

The 2.1 update should be available from HTC soon.
    No it's not? I swear the Nexus is a Snapdragon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~style)
    Is it?
    From what I seem to remember reading yesterday, yes. Though I cannot find my source any more...

Though at $530, I'd be surprised if it was as good as the Hero.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.