Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if Kobo Vox (the e-reader that runs Android) has access to Android Marketplace? I've seen it being mentioned in a lot of publicity material, but then as soon as I Google, it talks of having to hack into the software and root it to be able to use Marketplace, etc (I don't know much about technical terms!), which I don't want to/can't do.

It talks of a limited app store - GetJar - but if it's limited then that kinda ruins the appeal of an e-reader that has apps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jeh_jeh)
    Does anyone know if Kobo Vox (the e-reader that runs Android) has access to Android Marketplace? I've seen it being mentioned in a lot of publicity material, but then as soon as I Google, it talks of having to hack into the software and root it to be able to use Marketplace, etc (I don't know much about technical terms!), which I don't want to/can't do.

It talks of a limited app store - GetJar - but if it's limited then that kinda ruins the appeal of an e-reader that has apps.
    It's just GetJar. You can see what they offer here/ (set your device as the Vox.

Rooting seems easy enough: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-yjxjmNZ04

But in all honesty the Vox will be bad at being an e-reader due to the screen and will also be a pretty terrible tablet seeing as it runs the phone version of Android and has a pretty outdated processor.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Still no ICS on my SII. :cry:

ReputationRep:

(Original post by Doughnuts!!)
    Still no ICS on my SII. :cry:
    Ditto!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCasual)

Ditto!
    Does it not have to be approved by your networks?

(Assuming you didn't buy the phone SIM-free....)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Repressor)

I'm not sure. I upgraded through Phones4u, so i'm not sure if its 'unbranded'
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Repressor)

Mine is SIM-free and it STILL hasn't come up on Kies. :\

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doughnuts!!)
    Mine is SIM-free and it STILL hasn't come up on Kies. :\
    Me too! i bought mine off amazon as SIM-free and have not yet gotten the ICS update.. I use a mac and Kies did update in the morning which made me a bit excited, but then it just said my firmware is up to date boo!

ReputationRep:
    Samsung did say week beginning 19 March so I guess it will be rolled out at some point this week?

ReputationRep:
    How do you actually do it? My HTC Legend updated it self to Eclaire at about 5am in the morning.

ReputationRep:
    The people demanded Ice Cream Sandwich. Samsung responded by saying 'let them eat cake'.

ReputationRep:
    Samsung released the ICS kernel sources for the GSII today CM9 development should pick up its pace now!

ReputationRep:
    Tried out an ICS + Sense 4.0 ROM on my Desire S earlier (ported from the HTC One range). Played with it for about 5 minutes before I decided that AOSP ICS is just so much nicer!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hassi94)
    Samsung released the ICS kernel sources for the GSII today CM9 development should pick up its pace now!
    Can i have this in simple english, please? lol.

I'm assuming this has something to do with when us galaxy s2 users are likely to get our ICS updates? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keepoffthelawn)
    Can i have this in simple english, please? lol.

I'm assuming this has something to do with when us galaxy s2 users are likely to get our ICS updates? :p:
    The programming text of ICS on the Galaxy S2 has been released so people who make custom firmware have more to work with.

It has nothing to do with when you'll get official ICS, though they say that's meant to be this week. It's only beneficial if you use custom firmware - namely Android Open Source Project ROMs like CyanogenMod.

ReputationRep:
    The programming text of ICS on the Galaxy S2 has been released so people who make custom firmware have more to work with.

It has nothing to do with when you'll get official ICS, though they say that's meant to be this week. It's only beneficial if you use custom firmware - namely Android Open Source Project ROMs like CyanogenMod.
    aha! ok thanks

ReputationRep:
    Didn't Samsung say the S2 update was two weeks ago? Or this weekend even? Oh well. I recommend Ice Cold Sandwich if you are rooted. Great work.

For those of you using Sky GO, you might want to hold out of any updates since it doesn't work with ICS.

Ice Cold :rofl2:

ReputationRep:
    How does this affect, if at all, CM9 for Galaxy Nexus? Will Samsung have to release the same thing for the GN before CM can be put on GN?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.