Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    whats the difference between tethering and a wifi hotspot, is usb tether faster or just preferred for computers/laptops without wifi?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by youngzwavey)
    whats the difference between tethering and a wifi hotspot, is usb tether faster or just preferred for computers/laptops without wifi?
    Wired saves battery.

They perform the same function really, not sure about speeds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    Wired saves battery.

They perform the same function really, not sure about speeds.
    ohh, looks like i'll be switching to tethered from now on

ReputationRep:
    ohh, looks like i'll be switching to tethered from now on
    Your phone will get charged while tethering, at the cost of the laptop's battery (unless you're plugged in).
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    From experience, tethering seems to be faster.

ReputationRep:
    For anyone with a Galaxy Nexus that wants to get 4.0.4 and is unlocked, here are instructions

http://www.reddit.com/r/GalaxyNexus/...4_ota_quicker/

Step 3 isn't necessary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by biffyclyro27)
    No, mine seems to be fine, I still have everything. Maybe you were just unlucky?
    Yeh I guess.

ReputationRep:
    found a couple nice apps,

youtube remote, official from google allows you to control desktop youtube with your phone without wifi/bluetooth etc, (commands sent to the net from your phone, then from net to paired comp so no range issues)

desktopsms sends messages from your laptop/pc to contacts on your phone, if your using the chrome broswer theres some nice integration and notification numbers

ReputationRep:
    What is the hype with Instagram? I really don't get it...

found a couple nice apps,

youtube remote, official from google allows you to control desktop youtube with your phone without wifi/bluetooth etc, (commands sent to the net from your phone, then from net to paired comp so no range issues)
    lol what's the point in that?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doughnuts!!)
    Yeah, but this was in one day! Or to be more accurate, in the space of around 6/7 hours.
    Haha well that's a different story.

I found out some people in America use their phones internet as their home broadband which is crazy. That's something like 40-50GB right there. They truly are unlimited though and have 4G LTE, much much faster.

ReputationRep:
    With every passing day I am getting more and more tempted to flash a custom ICS rom onto my phone but there is still something niggling at me saying I shouldn't

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by + polarity -)
    lol what's the point in that?!
    lool if your as lazy as me u can flick through the videos in your subscriptions from your phone on ur bed while ur laptop/pc sits on the desk, beats a small htc screen anyday

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizard710)
    With every passing day I am getting more and more tempted to flash a custom ICS rom onto my phone but there is still something niggling at me saying I shouldn't
    Do it. Especially if you have an S2 or anything with TouchWiz on it. That has got to be the worst piece of software I have ever come across. What an absolute pile of crap. I'm yet to a single person who likes it. Junk junk and more junk. It's so much better getting a ROM, you get the stock look, with a whole load of added features. Plus updates come every week or so depending or what ROM it is. Updates are still faster. I mean I have 4.0.4 on my HTC Desire HD and that isn't even out for the Nexus S which is an official android phone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El Torres)
    Do it. Especially if you have an S2 or anything with TouchWiz on it. That has got to be the worst piece of software I have ever come across. What an absolute pile of crap. I'm yet to a single person who likes it. Junk junk and more junk. It's so much better getting a ROM, you get the stock look, with a whole load of added features. Plus updates come every week or so depending or what ROM it is. Updates are still faster. I mean I have 4.0.4 on my HTC Desire HD and that isn't even out for the Nexus S which is an official android phone.
    At the flip side (especially at the moment as it's still in warranty) is everything just works. Market apps update, I can install off the web market etc

ReputationRep:
    Are you using IceColdSandwich 7.0 or CM9?

How are you finding it in terms of stability?

It's not very stable here, I keep getting reboots etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizard710)
    At the flip side (especially at the moment as it's still in warranty) is everything just works. Market apps update, I can install off the web market etc
    The only thing out that, that you'll lose is your warranty, and if anything breaks you can unroot it so it'll look like you never rooted it. You can update all apps and use the web market. While rooted you can also get Gapps. Google apps. All the official apps, all of them, even ones that are only for the US, and they get updated faster.

(Original post by lohoj)
    Are you using IceColdSandwich 7.0 or CM9?

How are you finding it in terms of stability?

It's not very stable here, I keep getting reboots etc.
    I'm using IceCold and its ridiculously good for me. No reboots, no force closes or anything. Have you tries formatting your phone before installing? Was 6.2 fine for you or is it IceCold in general?

ReputationRep:
    The only thing out that, that you'll lose is your warranty, and if anything breaks you can unroot it so it'll look like you never rooted it. You can update all apps and use the web market. While rooted you can also get Gapps. Google apps. All the official apps, all of them, even ones that are only for the US, and they get updated faster.

I'm using IceCold and its ridiculously good for me. No reboots, no force closes or anything. Have you tries formatting your phone before installing? Was 6.2 fine for you or is it IceCold in general?
    I was using IceCold yesterday. I tested it during the day, and I got 4 random reboots/freezes

It was a clean install, and the first time I used IceCold. However, I'm using a porter version from the Desire HD on my Desire S. The kernel that I am using is CM9 kernel. It isn't the Lord ClockaN one you guys have... So that may be my problem..

How are you finding it? Do you enjoy it more than Sense? Video camera isn't working, right?

ReputationRep:
    Much better than Sense, although Sense isn't that bad. Yeah the Video camera isn't working for now. Fixed the camera though which is good.

If it is a port then that might be the issue, although I don't know how. It must be fine for others right? Maybe try 6.2 and then update to 7.0. See how it goes. Can you use Lords kernal? I don't know if they need to be ported to each device or are something any device can use. Either way if they ported the ROM maybe they have a plan to port the kernal over too. Try a few other kernals in the mean time.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/katienotopou...roid-instagram

Like children. :nothing:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.