Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else here recently upgraded their phone for ICS?? I'd give it a mixed review, seems a tad pointless at times. Would be interesting to here other thoughts...

ReputationRep:
    I've been posting pictures of the Android Mascot just to spam the place...

(Original post by tinytadpoletim)
    Anyone else here recently upgraded their phone for ICS?? I'd give it a mixed review, seems a tad pointless at times. Would be interesting to here other thoughts...
    Full HW acceleration for UI rendering is a winner in my books.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)

Full HW acceleration for UI rendering is a winner in my books.
    Granted. But faceunlock's a bit of a gimmick and the new default Android browser on ICS = bleurgh...

Started using Chrome Beta :hmmm:

ReputationRep:
    Proud owner of a motorola droid X

ReputationRep:
    Granted. But faceunlock's a bit of a gimmick and the new default Android browser on ICS = bleurgh...

What.. the browser in ICS is bloody amazing. They have improved it so much. Much faster and the little slide out buttons, very sleek. Granted I'm using the Chrome beta too but only because I like the idea of turning my laptop off and resuming it on my phone exactly how I left it as well as all my bookmarks syncing. Other than that it's not great, no full screen browsing or anything. Really tempted to just bookmark the sites I go on a lot and go back to using the stock browser.

ReputationRep:

Face unlock... so pointless! I agree there.

New browser is much better IMO. Though I must admit, when Chrome comes out of beta, it'll slaughter it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El Torres)
    Much better than Sense, although Sense isn't that bad. Yeah the Video camera isn't working for now. Fixed the camera though which is good.

If it is a port then that might be the issue, although I don't know how. It must be fine for others right? Maybe try 6.2 and then update to 7.0. See how it goes. Can you use Lords kernal? I don't know if they need to be ported to each device or are something any device can use. Either way if they ported the ROM maybe they have a plan to port the kernal over too. Try a few other kernals in the mean time.
    Nope, unfortunately not

I have just loaded back the ROM again, giving it another go! I really do love stock ICS

The browser is awesome!

ReputationRep:
    everyones having a lot of luck with ice cold sandwitch it was unstable for me (desire s) quite a few apps didnt work, didnt adjust to the browser enough to miss it although i'd love to have it, Cyanogen 7.2 rc had a few bugs but 7.1 stable has been amazing a few force closes but i had that on stock and a few are also to do with new apps like instagram which are buggy so i can't really fault it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by youngzwavey)
    everyones having a lot of luck with ice cold sandwitch it was unstable for me (desire s) quite a few apps didnt work, didnt adjust to the browser enough to miss it although i'd love to have it, Cyanogen 7.2 rc had a few bugs but 7.1 stable has been amazing a few force closes but i had that on stock and a few are also to do with new apps like instagram which are buggy so i can't really fault it
    IceCold seems more stable now I use the ondemand governor.

ReputationRep:
    The only thing out that, that you'll lose is your warranty, and if anything breaks you can unroot it so it'll look like you never rooted it. You can update all apps and use the web market. While rooted you can also get Gapps. Google apps. All the official apps, all of them, even ones that are only for the US, and they get updated faster.
    I had a Hero and that was rooted so I understand what I'm doing but my apps would never automatically update and there would always be problems installing from the web market.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by youngzwavey)
    Used IceCold again for the night, and I got 3 reboots .

1 on Stock kernel, then I changed to tiamat which supposedly fixes things.

But I got another 2 reboots. Same boat here mate. I'd love to be able to use this as my stable driver..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizard710)
    I had a Hero and that was rooted so I understand what I'm doing but my apps would never automatically update and there would always be problems installing from the web market.
    Something wrong with your setup, I'm rooted and running a HP Touchpad which isn't even a native android device and my auto updates and markets both work fine (both on device and via the web).

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you lot are having problems because you are using ported versions of the actual ROM. I mean I wouldn't think it would be a problem but you never know.

For the guy with the Hero, wizard710. The issue is definitely on your side. Have you done the whole wipe the phone and see if it works then? Tried the latest version of gapps?

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you lot are having problems because you are using ported versions of the actual ROM. I mean I wouldn't think it would be a problem but you never know.

For the guy with the Hero, wizard710. The issue is definitely on your side. Have you done the whole wipe the phone and see if it works then? Tried the latest version of gapps?
    Porting from DHD > DS is pretty straight forward. Don't need to change too much at all.

It'll be the 2.x kernel at fault.

ReputationRep:
    Guys, all I am saying is my hero, when rooted felt like it never fully worked for whatever reason be that due to the ROM or titanium not restoring market links properly or whatever and at the current moment, with my phone fully working and in warranty and eventually going to receive ICS I'm not quite ready to dive into rooting it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizard710)
    Guys, all I am saying is my hero, when rooted felt like it never fully worked for whatever reason be that due to the ROM or titanium not restoring market links properly or whatever and at the current moment, with my phone fully working and in warranty and eventually going to receive ICS I'm not quite ready to dive into rooting it
    I'd bet it was that tbh. There's an app to fix that these days, don't think it was around in the Hero days.

Ahhh.... the Hero.... :moon:

My Hero's still doing great. On its own I love it, it's only when I compare it to other phones that I realising how... aged it is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by + polarity -)
    My Hero's still doing great. On its own I love it, it's only when I compare it to other phones that I realising how... aged it is
    TBF, so is mine, though it's with a friend these days. It keeps her happy though. I know what you mean - put it next to my Desire S and it's just.... not good.

ReputationRep:
    The Hero was excellent. I'm convinced it spawned the generation of phones that secured the popularity of Android.

:yep:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.