Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben25)
    From the Nexus One Q&A:

Will these new features soon be coming to the Droid (or other Android handsets)
    RUBIN: Everyone will get that software within a couple of days.

I guess that means 2.1 for Hero soon then!
    No, it means that the source code for Vanilla Android 2.1 will be released.
    HTC still need to port Sense to it, whether they have it waiting who knows.

But it will be a few months I'm guessing.

ReputationRep:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8442712.stm

This should be interesting, plus the prices are not crazy either, As well as going into the hardware business, Google is also trying out something different by offering the phone to users without being tied to a contract with a mobile phone operator.

It is offering the Nexus One through its online store at $179 (£112) if users sign up to a two-year plan with T-Mobile, or $529 (£332) without a plan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)

But hasn't 2.1 on Hero already been leaked with Sense working on it? So I wouldn't have thought it could be that far off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)

I'm sure HTC said it'd be out around XMAS tbh...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    I'm sure HTC said it'd be out around XMAS tbh...
    Yes, but Sprint (US CDMA carrier) has stated that 2.1 for Hero will come within the first half of 2010.
    Of course CDMA will take longer than GSM and the Sprint mods will take even longer, so hopefully we will have it sooner than this.

I want it to come soon, but based on what we know I doubt it will be too soon.

ReputationRep:
    Android Flash.

ReputationRep:
    i need some help with my hero, whenever i try and delete a thread of messages it just freezes my phone and messes up. i want to delete it but it will take me ages to do 1500 texts individually

ReputationRep:
    "Nexus One Order #... has shipped." :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Anyone playing foursquare or Gowalla? Now 4sq is available everywhere I've signed up, but here in Cardiff there are only two spots to visit. Gowalla has loads of spots already in Cardiff, I think it's the one I'm going to stick with for the time being.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roobsa)

Ooohhh! Where did you buy it from?
    I'm thinking of selling my HTC hero and get the nexus one :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T.K.B)
    Ooohhh! Where did you buy it from?
    I'm thinking of selling my HTC hero and get the nexus one :yes:
    The only place you can...www.google.com/phone :p:

I'm very excited to say the least and I'll do a little write up on here (and my blog - shameless plug) when I've had a chance to play with it.

ReputationRep:
    Do you know how the delivery is paid? Ie is it paid on demand when delivered or do you pay after its turned up?

ReputationRep:
    The only place you can...www.google.com/phone :p:

I'm very excited to say the least and I'll do a little write up on here (and my blog - shameless plug) when I've had a chance to play with it.
    Ahh cool! So how much did it cost? The link says $529- which is £332; ebay prices are like over £430 :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T.K.B)
    Ahh cool! So how much did it cost? The link says $529- which is £332; ebay prices are like over £430 :confused:
    + P&P 20 quid
    + VAT 60 quid

should be 410

I wonder if that will change when vod come on board...? surely they will sell the unlocked version without sending from the US...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T.K.B)
    (Original post by Quady)
    Do you know how the delivery is paid? Ie is it paid on demand when delivered or do you pay after its turned up?
    the total price i paid is $578.64 and it breaks down like this:

$529.00 for the actual handset.
    $19.99 for the "country-specific AC adaptor"
    $29.65 for DHL International

I'm hoping theres no extra charges on delivery (but i can't see why there would be) as we tend to not keep cash in the house.

ReputationRep:
    (but i can't see why there would be)
    Because you haven't paid sales tax.

https://www.google.com/phone/static/...estimates.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Because you haven't paid sales tax.

https://www.google.com/phone/static/...estimates.html
    nice find, thanks. do you reckon it'll be on the total price of the order or on just the handset? as it says it "may apply to some items".

ReputationRep:
    nice find, thanks. do you reckon it'll be on the total price of the order or on just the handset? as it says it "may apply to some items".
    Well that says VAT is for the complete value (including shipping).
    The 6.5% (whatever that is) might be on some items, no ideas, I'm in the dark as much as you - hence the asking Google seem as unsure on the 6.5%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Well that says VAT is for the complete value (including shipping).
    The 6.5% (whatever that is) might be on some items, no ideas, I'm in the dark as much as you - hence the asking Google seem as unsure on the 6.5%
    i'll just have to get some cash out and hope i don't have to pay anything extra!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smellslikemarmite)
    Better than the Hero by much? Just wondering whether its worth waiting for it.
    If mum wouldn't kill me (I got my hero for my 18th birthday present) I would seriously be thinking of selling my hero and getting the nexus one

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.