Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lohoj)
    Rooting doesnt solve the problem.

We need the update for the official kernel source, so devs can fix stuff in their custom ROMs.

That's why their arent fully functional.
    Rooting does solve the problem. There are already ICS kernals out there because they work on porting it over from the Nexus Prime. That and once they have it they can modify it. I have a fully working kernal on my phone and the GPS is bloody amazing, it locks onto a satellite in around 4 seconds plus it locks onto more than you would get with a stock phone.

It works the same way with other parts of the phone. I have a Desire HD and up until about a month ago they couldn't get the camera to work or the bluetooth. At first they said they would have to wait for HTC to release ICS so they can have a look. However they have fixed both now and got the panoramic thing working. It's just a case of how much time an effort someone is going to put into it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El Torres)
    Rooting does solve the problem. There are already ICS kernals out there because they work on porting it over from the Nexus Prime. That and once they have it they can modify it. I have a fully working kernal on my phone and the GPS is bloody amazing, it locks onto a satellite in around 4 seconds plus it locks onto more than you would get with a stock phone.

It works the same way with other parts of the phone. I have a Desire HD and up until about a month ago they couldn't get the camera to work or the bluetooth. At first they said they would have to wait for HTC to release ICS so they can have a look. However they have fixed both now and got the panoramic thing working. It's just a case of how much time an effort someone is going to put into it.
    Yeah... but it ain't going to be as stable as a kernel 3 based ROM.

ReputationRep:
    ICS is now available for unbranded S2s so it shouldn't be too much longer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizard710)
    ICS is now available for unbranded S2s so it shouldn't be too much longer
    I have a S2 with an orange sim, although I believe the phone is unlocked to all networks (was an upgarde from Samsung following the repeated failure of the orginal S). When will I be able to upgrade to ICS?

Will I need to back everything up, and how do I do this?

ReputationRep:

Yeah, but you're using a heavily modified kernel 2.65, the ICS one is 3.0. Not everything works on IceCold, like the camcorder.

The camera drivers still aren't perfect.

Routing does mean we can use the latest OS, but with drawbacks. That's why we still need the official update & kernel source.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lohoj)
    Yeah, but you're using a heavily modified kernel 2.65, the ICS one is 3.0. Not everything works on IceCold, like the camcorder.

The camera drivers still aren't perfect.

Routing does mean we can use the latest OS, but with drawbacks. That's why we still need the official update & kernel source.
    You do realise the official ICS has been out for over a month, this won't change regarding custom roms as it's all been available for 5 weeks (inc full source code from samsung).

ReputationRep:
    I'm getting SGS2 in coming week after I sell mine iphone 4 can't wait to join andriod fan. As apple is getting bored now plus I already got ipod touch.

ReputationRep:
    Awwwwww yeah!!!!

The HTC One V kernel source is out meaning that the Desire S custom ICS ROMs should be using kernel 3.x soon as it is compatible.

Desire S and Desire HD owners rejoice!

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone else having trouble connecting the gs2 to kies, I've tried it on mac and pc and it just wont connect. I didnt used to have this problem

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    Awwwwww yeah!!!!

The HTC One V kernel source is out meaning that the Desire S custom ICS ROMs should be using kernel 3.x soon as it is compatible.

Desire S and Desire HD owners rejoice!
    Hell to the yeahh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theronkinator)
    You do realise the official ICS has been out for over a month, this won't change regarding custom roms as it's all been available for 5 weeks (inc full source code from samsung).
    That's for YOUR device, not my Desire S.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lohoj)
    Not for my device, I've had ICS since January .

I presumed you were talking about the Galaxy S2 as in the comment I quoted you mentioned no model, and it was posted on the day the GS2 got ICS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lohoj)
    Once the ICS source code gets released which was a few weeks after the Nexus prime release all the devs can port it over to their phones and that's how most phones already have ICS. I mean my Desire HD has the 4.0.4 whereas Nexus S users still have 4.0.3 .

Anyway if you're talking officially then yes, most phones don't have it yet. Bit of a shame how long it takes.

I HATE that network providers decide when to release the latest software updates. All phones should be unbranded and updates should come straight from the manufacturer. Absolute joke. The network provider then fills it with their own rubbish that can't be uninstalled unless you root.

ReputationRep:
    Once the ICS source code gets released which was a few weeks after the Nexus prime release all the devs can port it over to their phones and that's how most phones already have ICS. I mean my Desire HD has the 4.0.4 whereas Nexus S users still have 4.0.3 .

Anyway if you're talking officially then yes, most phones don't have it yet. Bit of a shame how long it takes.

I HATE that network providers decide when to release the latest software updates. All phones should be unbranded and updates should come straight from the manufacturer. Absolute joke. The network provider then fills it with their own rubbish that can't be uninstalled unless you root.
    Nexus S will have 4.0.4 ROMs with Kernel 3.x. Your phone is running a highly modified 2.x kernel. This means the code behind all the software you run is messy and filled with bad work a rounds. Without a 3.x kernel, you're essentially running a boosted version of gingerbread to support ICS software.

Either way, Nexx is a monster and he's porting the One V kernel to Desire S / HD, so soon all will be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ninegrandstudent)
    I have a S2 with an orange sim, although I believe the phone is unlocked to all networks (was an upgarde from Samsung following the repeated failure of the orginal S). When will I be able to upgrade to ICS?

Will I need to back everything up, and how do I do this?
    I believe unbranded phones get it last but I'll answer your question

You can back everything up but not saved app data to that you need to root your phone and once you've done that why put on a official rom?
    But if you just want to back up the normal stuff then

Connect to my PC in "Mass Storage"

Then copy my entire internal SD card to a folder on the Desktop. This will include everything Photos, Game Saves Music etc.

There are lots of message backup apps on Play Store.

All your apps are available when you log into Play Store

After the Update copy your SD card back to the phone, then install the apps from Play Store.

You can Factory Reset and Format the SDcard using this code in the phones dialer *2767*3855#
    Backup first, this wipes everything!

Factory reset before AND after

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ninegrandstudent)
    (Original post by F_shakeey)
    I believe unbranded phones get it last
    In response to F_shakeey, unbranded ICS is available now
    http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2012/04/got...ndwich-update/

Try going through Kies and see if it shows an update. If not, then its still showing as an Orange SII and you can go ahead and follow his guide or wait till the 22nd when the official update is released.
    http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-...orange-1076740

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mahjongmagic)
    In response to F_shakeey, unbranded ICS is available now
    http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2012/04/got...ndwich-update/
    Ah so it's out, to be honest I stopped looking after vodafone got theirs out but I'm still not going to update it though. The roms will be better

ReputationRep:
    Gotta love that the SIII has leaked out haha. Engadget got a legal notice to take the video down after it was posted up so there's high chances that it's real.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/20/galaxy-s-iii-leak/

Someone is going to have to explain this to me though, it says the dpi is 320 but THE resolution is 720x1280. How does that work then?

ReputationRep:
    It's massive. :eek3:

Are you sure it's real? I'm not convinced. Maybe they got the legal notice to take it down so those that have been looking forward to it for so long don't top themselves. :mmm:

The physical design of it isn't so great - looks clunky.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I was thinking the same. The specs don't look great and the look of it. I think they used plastic to make the S2 really thin so I bet they do the same again which I'm not liking. Maybe this is just a test version because I hope it's better.

On the legal notice, I think didn't happen because both theverge.com and Engaget still have images and videos up.

This was the same site that got leaked the Samsung Tab and the iPad.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Is cheesecake a cake?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.