Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I think it said on Engadget that there might be a layer of plastic around the edges to prevent the dimensions from being revealed. It could be thinner when its officially revealed.

(Original post by El Torres)
    Gotta love that the SIII has leaked out haha. Engadget got a legal notice to take the video down after it was posted up so there's high chances that it's real.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/20/galaxy-s-iii-leak/

Someone is going to have to explain this to me though, it says the dpi is 320 but THE resolution is 720x1280. How does that work then?
    http://members.ping.de/~sven/dpi.html

ReputationRep:
    But what does it mean? Is it simply screen size vs dpi? So it doesn't have a HD screen because the dpi is only 300 something? I thought 720 meant HD. I know it doesn't say 720p but yeah.

But what does it mean? Is it simply screen size vs dpi? So it doesn't have a HD screen because the dpi is only 300 something? I thought 720 meant HD. I know it doesn't say 720p but yeah.
    It uses the resolution (e.g. 1280 x 720) and Pythagoras' to find the number of dots (which I think is synonymous with pixels here) along the diagonal of the screen (which is in inches), which gives you the dpi.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by + polarity -)
    It uses the resolution (e.g. 1280 x 720) and Pythagoras' to find the number of dots (which I think is synonymous with pixels here) along the diagonal of the screen (which is in inches), which gives you the dpi.
    Well I googled the resolution and it is HD. So I presume the higher the DPI also makes for a better screen quality, or does it not matter? Just another way of measuring it?

I noticed here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._pixel_density all the 720x1280 resolution screens have a ppi in the 300's. It does differ though.

Well I googled the resolution and it is HD. So I presume the higher the DPI also makes for a better screen quality, or does it not matter? Just another way of measuring it?

I noticed here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._pixel_density all the 720x1280 resolution screens have a ppi in the 300's. It does differ though.
    Well, I'd say a higher DPI looks nicer (but after 330 ppi or something you can't tell), but there are many other factors affecting the 'quality' of a screen :wink2:

Yes, the resolution is HD, and yes, a PPI of over 300 will look very nice.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough, I guess that's all I need to know to understand the phone specs. Cheers

ReputationRep:
    Best/most favourite apps?

ColorNote, very useful

Fair enough, I guess that's all I need to know to understand the phone specs. Cheers
    Resolution = pixel numbers.
    Imagine two screens with the same resolution but with different sizes.
    The smaller one will pack the same number of pixels into a smaller area and so will increase it's pixels per inch... get it?

High PPI=high quality screen.

ReputationRep:
    So 1080p is simply 1080 pixels per inch? I presume all display stuff is the same.

Anyway I get what you're saying so thanks for that bit!

So 1080p is simply 1080 pixels per inch? I presume all display stuff is the same.

Anyway I get what you're saying so thanks for that bit!
    1080p is not PPI. Big HD TVs are arguably **** quality.

The resolution for 1080p is 1920x1080 which on a 42" screen would be... just over 50 PPI apparently.

EDIT: obviously you aren't spending time as close to a TV as you will a phone/tablet/laptop so it's not that big of a deal.

The P stands for

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    1080p is not PPI. Big HD TVs are arguably **** quality.

The resolution for 1080p is 1920x1080 which on a 42" screen would be... just over 50 PPI apparently.

EDIT: obviously you aren't spending time as close to a TV as you will a phone/tablet/laptop so it's not that big of a deal.
    Bloody heck around 50.. but yeah as you say. I guess slowly everything will move HD so most screen sizes get a solid picture quality.

(Original post by + polarity -)
    The P stands for
    You see I knew that too haha, guess I forgot. Progressive and interlaced. Progressive being the better one.

GF got a Desire S

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    GF got a Desire S
    Why you mad bro? Tech envy?

(Original post by mikeyd85)
    Why you mad bro? Tech envy?
    Ye :ashamed2:

I might buy an X or an S (GS3 dependant).

X has a meaty DPI :sogood:

ReputationRep:
    My contract runs out in November and if the S3 is rubbish then I'll be getting a One X as well. Should be cheaper then too. I heard there is an issue with the corners though. The finish seems to be coming off since it's a thin layer and showing the aluminium underneath.

I thought the One S was the one with issues. The one X seems pretty good build quality-wise.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.