Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Android OS is a Linux-based platform for mobile phones. Android was released under the Apache v2 open source license.It is available free of cost.It has many applications.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by normanyclark)
    Android OS is a Linux-based platform for mobile phones. Android was released under the Apache v2 open source license.It is available free of cost.It has many applications.
    WTF? :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by normanyclark)
    Correct, though you must pay a licence fee [typically this will be paid by the manufacturer] for the whole "Google Experience" including the Play Store, YouTube, GMail, Google Maps and others.

Welcome to TSR.

ReputationRep:
    You can install GApps manually on an unlicensed device though, right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    You can install GApps manually on an unlicensed device though, right?
    Yes. I do it the same way I install anything from a zip file, in recovery mode.

ReputationRep:
    Greetings fellow androiders,

Does anyone have the Galaxy Mini? Have you been able to successfully update it from froyo? Is there actually an official update on Kies? I don't know where to find out (have tried googling), and my phone will not connect to Kies on my computer (have had many, many attempts). I know you can update manually but i don't want to risk it. (Am a noob- phone likely to implode.) Is there a way to get the update sent to your phone, or does it always have to be via a laptop/pc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ebee)
    Yes. I do it the same way I install anything from a zip file, in recovery mode.
    Not really possible if you don't have a custom recovery but I'm pretty sure you can just install via APK assuming you have a file browser.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, having a bit of an issue with my phone... I have the Samsung Galaxy S2, and I finally could update to Android 4.0 last week with Samsung Kies... since this update my wifi has stopped working - it says it's connected but I can't do anything using the internet. Nothing has changed with my router or anything. I contacted Samsung and they said I need to take it to a service centre for "software reset, or re-flashing of the software, in order to have it operating normally again." My nearest service centre is 30 miles away would doing a factory reset have the same effect? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loz876)
    Hey guys, having a bit of an issue with my phone... I have the Samsung Galaxy S2, and I finally could update to Android 4.0 last week with Samsung Kies... since this update my wifi has stopped working - it says it's connected but I can't do anything using the internet. Nothing has changed with my router or anything. I contacted Samsung and they said I need to take it to a service centre for "software reset, or re-flashing of the software, in order to have it operating normally again." My nearest service centre is 30 miles away would doing a factory reset have the same effect? Thanks!
    Have you tried simply removing the connection then recreating it one your phone first?
    Factory reset seems an extreme first step tbh, but it'd probably work.

ReputationRep:
    I'd recommend a factory reset and wipe the cache from Recovery. Just rules things out, my dad's SGS2 kept locking up most days for months on Gingerbread, we updated to ICS and factory reset at the same time, and a few weeks on now and not a single lock up.

This is how to put you Galaxy S II into Recovery Mode:

Turn off your Galaxy S II phone.
    Now hold the Volume Up + Home + Power buttons of your Galaxy S2 smartphone until the Samsung logo comes up.
    When you see the Samsung logo; quickly release the buttons for half a second and then hold them again.
    Now your Galaxy S II will boot into its Recovery mode. Use the volume keys to navigate and the home button to make your selection.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    Have you tried simply removing the connection then recreating it one your phone first?
    Factory reset seems an extreme first step tbh, but it'd probably work.
    Unfortunately I've tried that, I've "forgotten" the connection then re-added it but doesn't work do you have any other ideas, other than factory reset? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately I've tried that, I've "forgotten" the connection then re-added it but doesn't work do you have any other ideas, other than factory reset? Thanks!
    Afraid not

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried forgetting the connection then manually connecting to it? This was suggested to me by a tsr member and has worked for me twice on Gingerbread and ICS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    Have you tried forgetting the connection then manually connecting to it? This was suggested to me by a tsr member and has worked for me twice on Gingerbread and ICS.
    Yep, I did that, but won't work I'll try once more and if not I guess the only option is a factory reset which sucks!

ReputationRep:
    I got ICS yesterday finally and did a factory reset at the same time. ICS is very nice. TW isn't and Sammy seem's to have undone all of Google's good work. Launcher, Calender, Contacts, Dialer, Messages are all ****ed over

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizard710)
    I got ICS yesterday finally and did a factory reset at the same time. ICS is very nice. TW isn't and Sammy seem's to have undone all of Google's good work. Launcher, Calender, Contacts, Dialer, Messages are all ****ed over
    Nova launcher should help you here. It's on the Play Store. Root will help you more though...

ReputationRep:
    Hey I'm trying to look for a full screen blackboard widget or similar. Anyone know of such an app? Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hassi94)
    Hey I'm trying to look for a full screen blackboard widget or similar. Anyone know of such an app? Cheers
    Blackboard?

Erm... apmemo lite?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hassi94)
    GO Note Widget has a drawing function. It is set to 2x2 in size, but if your launcher allows you to force resize everything you can make it fullscreen.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.