Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    Factory reset the *****.

You'll lose everything aside from contents stored on the SDCard, but it should solve all those problems.
    I've already done that, but no improvement. Its really narking me now

(Original post by TheCasual)
    I've already done that, but no improvement. Its really narking me now
    Do you have something like an ext partition or apps2SD? Wiping that might help, but I imagine you'd have to back up your installed apps first...

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently on an HTC Desire HD, but it's going to as new home with my dad once I get my contract upgrade in July. After looking at a load of reviews I've decided I'm getting an HTC One S, and I'm stupidly excited.

Definitely not going back to non-HTCs now - they're just so hardy and beautiful. As for Android I actually prefer it (with HTC Sense) to iOS. I had an iphone for six months or so before it broke on me, and I can live with charging my phone every evening I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by + polarity -)
    Do you have something like an ext partition or apps2SD? Wiping that might help, but I imagine you'd have to back up your installed apps first...
    I'm not really tech savvy, so i've got no idea what you're on about.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not really tech savvy, so i've got no idea what you're on about.
    Have you ever been rooted?

If not then you won't have EXT or A2SD

ReputationRep:
    I'm having so many problems with my GS2 since I updated to ICS. Loads of apps crashing, phone resetting and draining the battery by about 30% and went I turn Wifi off, I have restart the phone to turn it back on. Surely it soundn't do that? Any ideas what I can do? I upgraded my phone through Phones4u
    You updated via phones4u? How does that work? Didn't your network send you the update over the air and then you simply update it when it tells you to. Do you mean you went into a store and got them to do it for you? Go back to them and tell them to sort it.

If a factory reset hasn't helped then try to downgrade back to gingerbread and then update to ICS yourself. That may require some research though. I can't remember if it's as simply as finding S2s gingerbread and installing it or having the phone rooted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El Torres)
    You updated via phones4u? How does that work? Didn't your network send you the update over the air and then you simply update it when it tells you to. Do you mean you went into a store and got them to do it for you? Go back to them and tell them to sort it.

If a factory reset hasn't helped then try to downgrade back to gingerbread and then update to ICS yourself. That may require some research though. I can't remember if it's as simply as finding S2s gingerbread and installing it or having the phone rooted.
    I ungraded my phone phone via Phones4u. As i've said before i'm not tech savy, so i've no idea how to root ect

ReputationRep:
    We've had no ICS GS2 issues, just flashed with Odin, did a factory reset and then set it all back up and everythings worked great, runs smoothly etc.

(Original post by Emielle)
    I'm currently on an HTC Desire HD, but it's going to as new home with my dad once I get my contract upgrade in July. After looking at a load of reviews I've decided I'm getting an HTC One S, and I'm stupidly excited.

Definitely not going back to non-HTCs now - they're just so hardy and beautiful. As for Android I actually prefer it (with HTC Sense) to iOS. I had an iphone for six months or so before it broke on me, and I can live with charging my phone every evening I think.
    Did you ever use HTC's customer service though? We have any will never touch them again after that experience, my dad's DHD was away for 2+ months and went to and from HTC 5 times, each time came back with a new or different fault, ranging from a reboot loop to no service, to coming back with black battery and sim cover on a brown phone, most times we collected it and it went straight back without even making it home. CPW finally agreed it was a joke and HTC wouldn't fix it and after about 3 months from the first send off they swapped it for a Galaxy S2 (after an email to the CEO).
    But for me HTC are on the never ever use list.

ReputationRep:
    I ****ing hate the Galaxy Nexus and it's ****ty MTP file transfer service. It doesn't work. It's bull****. Why not just use normal ****ing USB drive support like everyone else. Sammy can **** right off.

/RageQuit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theronkinator)
    Did you ever use HTC's customer service though? We have any will never touch them again after that experience, my dad's DHD was away for 2+ months and went to and from HTC 5 times, each time came back with a new or different fault, ranging from a reboot loop to no service, to coming back with black battery and sim cover on a brown phone, most times we collected it and it went straight back without even making it home. CPW finally agreed it was a joke and HTC wouldn't fix it and after about 3 months from the first send off they swapped it for a Galaxy S2 (after an email to the CEO).
    But for me HTC are on the never ever use list.
    That just seems like you were ridiculously unlucky. My DHD only had one problem and that was when I stepped on the screen.. yeah. Anyway I had no choice but to send it to HTC and they sorted it out without a problem. I read up quite a bit beforehand and they want you to send the phone without the battery and battery/sim covers. This is probably why, so they don't just mix it up with anything.

I ****ing hate the Galaxy Nexus and it's ****ty MTP file transfer service. It doesn't work. It's bull****. Why not just use normal ****ing USB drive support like everyone else. Sammy can **** right off.

/RageQuit
    Wait what? My brother has that phone and it's the same as any other, USB drive support. Have you checked the wrong settings or something? You can get SwiFTP on the market to make it wireless as well.

ReputationRep:
    That just seems like you were ridiculously unlucky. My DHD only had one problem and that was when I stepped on the screen.. yeah. Anyway I had no choice but to send it to HTC and they sorted it out without a problem. I read up quite a bit beforehand and they want you to send the phone without the battery and battery/sim covers. This is probably why, so they don't just mix it up with anything.
    Carphone Warehouse sent it off on our behalf, were told to bring the phone (minus sim/memory card), still doesn't excuse all the other faults which suggest they don't even test them.

ReputationRep:
    Wait what? My brother has that phone and it's the same as any other, USB drive support. Have you checked the wrong settings or something? You can get SwiFTP on the market to make it wireless as well.
    Note: This was at work, it's not my phone.

I appeared to only have the option to connect as a camera or MTP device. I run AOKP ICS on my Desire S and even that works fine as a USB drive. I dunno what is wrong with it tbh, but there was nothing in the settings that made me believe I could run USB drive mode at all. :sad:

(Original post by theronkinator)
    Carphone Warehouse sent it off on our behalf, were told to bring the phone (minus sim/memory card), still doesn't excuse all the other faults which suggest they don't even test them.
    CPW took forever to fix the phone I had before my current one. Over the course of 6 months IIRC I had to keep taking it back, but eventually they replaced it with a different model.

ReputationRep:
    Note: This was at work, it's not my phone.

I appeared to only have the option to connect as a camera or MTP device. I run AOKP ICS on my Desire S and even that works fine as a USB drive. I dunno what is wrong with it tbh, but there was nothing in the settings that made me believe I could run USB drive mode at all. :sad:
    Have you checked the developer settings? Try a factory reset or take it to the nearest shop otherwise. It's definitely an option.

ReputationRep:
    Have you checked the developer settings? Try a factory reset or take it to the nearest shop otherwise. It's definitely an option.
    I did on your advice, nothing in there either. Perhaps the guy who owns it needs to do some sort of update. I've not much knowledge on it really as I don't have that phone. I do however know ICS really well and I'm surprised it isn't a standard option on his phone.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys. Does anyone know of an app where I can access my PC's folders using my phone? My PC is set to be accessible on my wifi network (so my dad's laptop can access all the files); but can it be accessed by phone?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by hassi94)
    Hey guys. Does anyone know of an app where I can access my PC's folders using my phone? My PC is set to be accessible on my wifi network (so my dad's laptop can access all the files); but can it be accessed by phone?
    There should be quite a few file managers that can do this. I think I've done it using ES File Manager before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hassi94)
    You want a remote desktop. Splashtop. It isn't free.

You could make the folders public by putting them in the shared library thing. I don't know how you access them from a phone though, maybe through the browser.

ReputationRep:
    You want a remote desktop. Splashtop. It isn't free.
    Good piece of software that. I had it free when it was on GetJar. New version (IIRC) allows 3D rendering to be streamed too! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    New Firefox beta. Actually quite good!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.