Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hassi94)
    Hey guys. Does anyone know of an app where I can access my PC's folders using my phone? My PC is set to be accessible on my wifi network (so my dad's laptop can access all the files); but can it be accessed by phone?
    Do you know what type of file share it is? Is it a Samba share? That's likely if it's a Windows PC you're using. If you simply search 'samba' in the Play Store there should be a plethora of apps that do exactly what you want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by und)
    Do you know what type of file share it is? Is it a Samba share? That's likely if it's a Windows PC you're using. If you simply search 'samba' in the Play Store there should be a plethora of apps that do exactly what you want.

I tried a couple but they don't seem to do what I want to do. They all seem to be sharing the phone's files when I want to access my PC's files using my phone.

EDIT: Alex_hk's suggestion works great on my file manager (File Manager )

(Original post by alex_hk90)
    There should be quite a few file managers that can do this. I think I've done it using ES File Manager before.

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    I tried a couple but they don't seem to do what I want to do. They all seem to be sharing the phone's files when I want to access my PC's files using my phone.
    Pretty sure ES File Explorer should be able to do this.

Edit: Works fine on my work's domain share.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    Pretty sure ES File Explorer should be able to do this.
    Yeah I just checked out File Manager and it does work (just before you posted ). Thanks a lot

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I just checked out File Manager and it does work (just before you posted ). Thanks a lot
    Fair enough. I prefer ES myself, but File Manager is OK. Can't remember if it has root access though.

https://developers.google.com/events/io/sessions

ReputationRep:
    I thought I'd freshen up my HP Touchpad and finally installed CM9 latest Nightly yesterday. This tablet is pretty awesome on ICS. Fast, responsive and the interface looks lovely. I've been playing various videos too, easy via Mobo Player which seems to play anything, and the resolution is fantastic. Also Netflix is working like a dream. The only thing that refuses to work is the headphone socket. This didn't work on CM7 Gingerbread either.

I think I'll be using this tablet more often now. ICS rocks! It is as pretty as Web OS -- also notice how Android stole the swipe to side to close app.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    I thought I'd freshen up my HP Touchpad and finally installed CM9 latest Nightly yesterday. This tablet is pretty awesome on ICS. Fast, responsive and the interface looks lovely. I've been playing various videos too, easy via Mobo Player which seems to play anything, and the resolution is fantastic. Also Netflix is working like a dream. The only thing that refuses to work is the headphone socket. This didn't work on CM7 Gingerbread either.

I think I'll be using this tablet more often now. ICS rocks! It is as pretty as Web OS -- also notice how Android stole the swipe to side to close app.
    I'm on CM7 Gingerbread, try ICS every so often, but I need the system status bar at the top! If you're going to keep up to date with the nightlies could you let me know when they add all the CM tweaks like that. Thanks.

Also headphone socket should work, works fine for me. Just done a quick google and it says in CM9 you have to plug them in BEFORE you start playing the media.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theronkinator)
    I'm on CM7 Gingerbread, try ICS every so often, but I need the system status bar at the top! If you're going to keep up to date with the nightlies could you let me know when they add all the CM tweaks like that. Thanks.

Also headphone socket should work, works fine for me. Just done a quick google and it says in CM9 you have to plug them in BEFORE you start playing the media.
    Cool, didn't know that.

No I won't be doing the regular nightly updates. I update once and leave it for months lol I'm really not very techhy and followed Youtube to initially get CWM etc installed. I wouldn't even know how to update that and not having the latest version of Clockwork installed before flashing a ROM sounds a bit risky to me. The current nightly is fantastic. I haven't ran in to any issues yet-- I've never had Wifi issues on CM7 or CM9, but that seems to be the most common complaint. Chrome is available too.

The main difference is that the interface is more tablet friendly and aesthetically it's a major upgrade. Now, only if my SGS2 would look like that without the Touchwiz junk on it...

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like a good opportunity to develop that app! I'll get on it right away

Hey guys. Does anyone know of an app where I can access my PC's folders using my phone? My PC is set to be accessible on my wifi network (so my dad's laptop can access all the files); but can it be accessed by phone?

ReputationRep:
    Cool, didn't know that.

No I won't be doing the regular nightly updates. I update once and leave it for months lol I'm really not very techhy and followed Youtube to initially get CWM etc installed. I wouldn't even know how to update that and not having the latest version of Clockwork installed before flashing a ROM sounds a bit risky to me. The current nightly is fantastic. I haven't ran in to any issues yet-- I've never had Wifi issues on CM7 or CM9, but that seems to be the most common complaint. Chrome is available too.

The main difference is that the interface is more tablet friendly and aesthetically it's a major upgrade. Now, only if my SGS2 would look like that without the Touchwiz junk on it...
    Root your S2 and install CM9 then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lohoj)
    Root your S2 and install CM9 then
    Lol
    Thought of doing that but I'll lose Sky Go. I occasionally watch sports on it when I'm out.

ReputationRep:
    The wonders of ES File explorer...

I discovered you can connect to the Local Area Network using ES File explorer. So now I can connect to my USB hard drive attached to my WDTV Live and wirelessly view my videos on both of my Android devices. The crappy 8gb storage on my HP Touchpad is irrelevant now, I don't need to store most of my videos on it. How cool is that? With MX Video Player even subtitles are working.
    I shouldn't be surprised with ES File explorer. It can do Sky Drive, Google Drive, even box.net. A 10/10 app.

I think the Western Digital TV (WDTV) Live streamer would be a huge hit with students, since we tend to watch online content. I got it mainly to watch BBC iPlayer and Netflix, and the odd video from USB, on my television-- I've never been one to watch stuff on a laptop/PC; it just doesn't feel right. For streaming content it's excellent. Besides being able to beam your media over Wifi all around the house, you can watch stuff from your laptop/PC/media server via WDTV directly on your television. It also does DLNA. It's simply awesome for £80! Out the box there's nothing like it, it'll destroy Apple TV and plays just about every type of file out there. Big thumbs up for this bargain piece of kit!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    The wonders of ES File explorer...

I discovered you can connect to the Local Area Network using ES File explorer. So now I can connect to my USB hard drive attached to my WDTV Live and wirelessly view my videos on both of my Android devices. The crappy 8gb storage on my HP Touchpad is irrelevant now, I don't need to store most of my videos on it. How cool is that? With MX Video Player even subtitles are working.
    I shouldn't be surprised with ES File explorer. It can do Sky Drive, Google Drive, even box.net. A 10/10 app.

I think the Western Digital TV (WDTV) Live streamer would be a huge hit with students, since we tend to watch online content. I got it mainly to watch BBC iPlayer and Netflix, and the odd video from USB, on my television-- I've never been one to watch stuff on a laptop/PC; it just doesn't feel right. For streaming content it's excellent. Besides being able to beam your media over Wifi all around the house, you can watch stuff from your laptop/PC/media server via WDTV directly on your television. It also does DLNA. It's simply awesome for £80! Out the box there's nothing like it, it'll destroy Apple TV and plays just about every type of file out there. Big thumbs up for this bargain piece of kit!
    That does sound pretty cool. As a student I wasn't a big fan of watching stuff on a laptop either, but my solution was to buy a 2nd-hand projector (for under £200) and set up a budget home-cinema system.

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't ever use anything but XBMC as a media player, anything else is settling for second best. Should be out on Android in a few months, and already out for the Raspberry Pi (mine should be here in a few weeks).

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't ever use anything but XBMC as a media player, anything else is settling for second best. Should be out on Android in a few months, and already out for the Raspberry Pi (mine should be here in a few weeks).
    But you'll need a laptop or pc to run that, or a jailbroken Apple TV (old gen, which doesn't do 1080p?). The WDTV Live works out the box. No jailbreaking, hacking, installing or messing around which most people aren't prepared or capable of doing. Plus it's a tiny box.

ReputationRep:
    But you'll need a laptop or pc to run that, or a jailbroken Apple TV (old gen, which doesn't do 1080p?). The WDTV Live works out the box. No jailbreaking, hacking, installing or messing around which most people aren't prepared or capable of doing. Plus it's a tiny box.
    My PC is connected to my TV, however I also run it on my original xbox. The raspberry pi is £30 and runs it, only needs an SD card, and is way smaller than your western digital with a much better interface and much cheaper.

ReputationRep:
    My PC is connected to my TV, however I also run it on my original xbox. The raspberry pi is £30 and runs it, only needs an SD card, and is way smaller than your western digital with a much better interface and much cheaper.
    I'd like to see the performance of that.
    I don't believe the Xbox can handle high bitrates that the WDTV can? It will stutter. The WDTV on the other hand will handle anything you throw at it. The software is not as slick as XBMC (but does the job and is quite nice), but it's the hardware that attracts users and that's why it's so popular.

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to see the performance of that.
    I don't believe the Xbox can handle high bitrates that the WDTV can, and won't do any media above 720p will it? The WDTV on the other hand will handle anything you throw at it. The software is not as good as XBMC but it's the hardware that attracts users and that's why it's so popular.
    The xbox is 11 years old, of course it can't. The raspberry pi can though.

ReputationRep:
    The xbox is 11 years old, of course it can't. The raspberry pi can though.
    Well I'll be interested in that (if it works) for another room in our house. Cool, I'll keep an eye out for it (although I think it's gonna be laggy and may struggle in real life usage, also will require booting up like a PC which is not good enough for an 'under the television' box).

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.