Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Android OS watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    Well I'll be interested in that (if it works) for another room in our house. Cool, I'll keep an eye out for it (although I think it's gonna be laggy and may struggle in real life usage, also will require booting up like a PC which is not good enough for an 'under the television' box).
    It won't require booting up like a PC. RaspBMC is a special OS that boots straight into it. Just like my xbox does or my dads HTPC. No windows or other OS involved, just turn it on and in 20 seconds or so you're on XBMC. It's out already and working.

ReputationRep:
    which is not good enough for an 'under the television' box).
    I would have to disagree here slightly.
    I have the HD ryan mini 2, known for being a fine device.. I recently grew a little bored and also have a netsat ethernet box so replaced it with a mini htpc running windows 7 from an ssd. I run a variety of things on it including XBMC ... it is a much better experience than a dedicated media streamer and boot up time is really no issue.

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone tell why Draw Something isn't compatible with The Samsung Galaxy Y?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCasual)
    Can anyone tell why Draw Something isn't compatible with The Samsung Galaxy Y?
    Probably the pathetic resolution.

ReputationRep:
    MX Player rocks. Not only does it seem to play any format on the fly, it's got lots of nice little features. The screen lock is good, especially when you got a smudge on the screen and want to wipe it off without stopping the video lol It lets you easily choose different audio tracks and subtitles too-- it even lets you adjust the sync of subtitles! Normally you need a Windows program to do that.

Also nice little quick action features like swipe up/down on the left-hand-side of the screen adjusts brightness, the right-hand-side of the screen for volume. This saves exiting the video to adjust brightness.

Anyway, my two pennies worth on an excellent app. Best video player I've come across so far.

ReputationRep:
    MX Player rocks. Not only does it seem to play any format on the fly, it's got lots of nice little features. The screen lock is good, especially when you got a smudge on the screen and want to wipe it off without stopping the video lol It lets you easily choose different audio tracks and subtitles too-- it even lets you adjust the sync of subtitles! Normally you need a Windows program to do that.

Also nice little quick action features like swipe up/down on the left-hand-side of the screen adjusts brightness, the right-hand-side of the screen for volume. This saves exiting the video to adjust brightness.

Anyway, my two pennies worth on an excellent app. Best video player I've come across so far.
    Used in conjuntion with ES File Explorer and it can play files over a network.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theronkinator)
    Used in conjuntion with ES File Explorer and it can play files over a network.
    Exactly what I'm doing
    Funny you mention that. My brother has an iPhone 4 and can't access shared videos on the network without paying for an app. +1 to Android.

I have Mobo player as well, which is quite good too but has fewer features. The stock player is rubbish.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer

Thanks for the recommendation, the stock player (on my HTC Desire) really isn't great. :no:

ReputationRep:
    Exactly what I'm doing
    Funny you mention that. My brother has an iPhone 4 and can't access shared videos on the network without paying for an app. +1 to Android.

I have Mobo player as well, which is quite good too but has fewer features. The stock player is rubbish.
    Negged you by accident when trying to press quote, sorry.

If he jailbreaks though he can get XBMC which destroys every player on android sadly. I can't wait for XBMC to be released on android, will be epic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theronkinator)
    Negged you by accident when trying to press quote, sorry.

If he jailbreaks though he can get XBMC which destroys every player on android sadly. I can't wait for XBMC to be released on android, will be epic.
    Possed to fix that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    possed to fix that.
    ds ics leak now available!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lohoj)
    ds ics leak now available!!!!
    MOTHER****ING YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Epic geek day!

Got my new PC running after borrowing a GPU from a mate, then this!?!?!? **** yeah! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    MOTHER****ING YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Epic geek day!

Got my new PC running after borrowing a GPU from a mate, then this!?!?!? **** yeah! :woo:
    I know, I started screaming!

Thoughts on it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lohoj)
    I know, I started screaming!

Thoughts on it?
    We need source!

I'm not a big Sense fan, but this is a very good start.

ReputationRep:
    Gonna try put ICS on my OSF.

Bet it'll be ****e.

ReputationRep:
    So... it's actually OK so far. Save the disclosed bugs and a few display issues from time to time it's nice. Obviously on this old hardware it's not perfect but also not terrible.

Installing all my apps now so we'll see how much that affects performance.

For some reason CM9 has this horrific "epic" boot sound so I've had to delete that manually.

Gonna try out Chrome for the first time soon, see what the hype's about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    So... it's actually OK so far. Save the disclosed bugs and a few display issues from time to time it's nice. Obviously on this old hardware it's not perfect but also not terrible.

Installing all my apps now so we'll see how much that affects performance.

For some reason CM9 has this horrific "epic" boot sound so I've had to delete that manually.

Gonna try out Chrome for the first time soon, see what the hype's about.
    Good to hear that you like it. I recommend Apex Launcher if CM9 doesn't already have it. It's incredibly customisable.

ReputationRep:
    Good to hear that you like it. I recommend Apex Launcher if CM9 doesn't already have it. It's incredibly customisable.
    Ran into a problem... the browser loads pages but they are totally white/blank and since most browsers plug into the default API there's no getting round it :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    Ran into a problem... the browser loads pages but they are totally white/blank and since most browsers plug into the default API there's no getting round it :/
    Opera should work IIRC.

ReputationRep:
    On a note not relating to ICS, my phone is only receiving ~half of texts sent by a specific contact (my most used contact). Seems to not be an issue on either handsets (has occurred over two ROMs for me).

I've sent an email to Three and the contact will do the same for their network.

Can you guys think of any apps or other factors that might cause this?

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.