Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone actually used the huawei g300?

How is the build? The interweb reviews seem to suggest its not to shabby, especially for a £100 phone.
    The specs seem decent enough for the money too.
    How do you recon it compares to the zte blade in terms of spec and quality for the price?
    It seems like a great deal to me!

also, NOVA3... :sexface:
    Even if it did take me half a bloody day to download it over the ****ty welsh mobile networks.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by .gina)
    I still have an original Desire too, it does exactly what I want it to do and isn't particularly slow. I'll definitely get a HTC phone again. The only problem I have is that I have to charge it every day but that's the problem with all smart phones so it's a small price to pay really.
    Agreed. I was looking at the HTC One X but I think I'll wait until the next generation (perhaps around the time when 4G rolls out across the UK).

ReputationRep:
    Should I keep my Desire S or move on to the Galaxy S2??
    My parents bought the S2 for dirt cheap but neither of them can use it so it's just sitting infront of me, untouched.

I absolutely love my Desire S because the battery lasts for what feels like forever (in smartphone terms!) :ahee:
    Does anyone know roughly how long the Galaxy S2's battery lasts with consistent use? My "consistent use" means that I'm always on internet, Skype and Whatsapp. I also listen to music quite frequently.

The only thing I'm worried about is the battery as I can adapt to everything else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vixen47)
    My parents bought the S2 for dirt cheap but neither of them can use it so it's just sitting infront of me, untouched.

I absolutely love my Desire S because the battery lasts for what feels like forever (in smartphone terms!) :ahee:
    Does anyone know roughly how long the Galaxy S2's battery lasts with consistent use? My "consistent use" means that I'm always on internet, Skype and Whatsapp. I also listen to music quite frequently.

The only thing I'm worried about is the battery as I can adapt to everything else.
    I'd say you'd get about 10 hours out of it. with that kind of useage.

ReputationRep:

Lucky... Fellow DS user here, and I was looking to upgrade to a SGS2. (dad will give me it when he gets the SGS3)

Battery is definitely not as good as the DS, but you gain a much better device all round. If you don't mind losing Sense, go ahead and upgrade.

Out of curiosity, how much did your parents get the SGS2 for?

ReputationRep:

I find the battery life really strange on my S2. Some days it'll last two whole days (I charge overnight due to how hot it gets). Other times it'll last just one day, and my usage rarely alters that much.

I mainly use it for facebook, emails and texting, and random google searches when needed. Nothing too strenuous, mainly because I haven't put all my music onto it yet. I have the screen on brightest though, and have lots of widgets which I get the impression drains the battery. It is a lot better than the battery life on the S1 though - especially as I couldn't turn that handset off!

I'd say you'd get a day maximum out of it with your usage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCasual)
    I'd say you'd get about 10 hours out of it. with that kind of useage.
    In 2hrs 30min the battery has gone from 100% to 50%. I've had Skype open and have been using Dolphin Browser from the get go. Screen mode is on dynamic and brightness goes to about 1/4 of the bar. I'm gonna reboot the phone, uninstall a few apps and if things don't get better over the next few days, I'm downgrading again, haha! Before my Desire S, I had the HTC Sensation and it was as bad as this!

(Original post by lohoj)
    Lucky... Fellow DS user here, and I was looking to upgrade to a SGS2. (dad will give me it when he gets the SGS3)

Battery is definitely not as good as the DS, but you gain a much better device all round. If you don't mind losing Sense, go ahead and upgrade.

Out of curiosity, how much did your parents get the SGS2 for?
    I prefer battery levels over the overall device, tbh. I'm actually considering sticking with the Desire and making a couple hundred quid off the Galaxy if things don't improve over the next few days. I've heard good things about the S3. My uncle's colleague recently bought it and he really likes it. Also, gsmarena claims that the S3 has over 9hrs battery life whilst running on 3G, but the site also says that the S2 has over 8hrs on 3G, but at this rate, I'm barely getting 5hrs!

My parents bought it for £165 from my dad's cousin or friend.

(Original post by ninegrandstudent)
    I find the battery life really strange on my S2. Some days it'll last two whole days (I charge overnight due to how hot it gets). Other times it'll last just one day, and my usage rarely alters that much.

I mainly use it for facebook, emails and texting, and random google searches when needed. Nothing too strenuous, mainly because I haven't put all my music onto it yet. I have the screen on brightest though, and have lots of widgets which I get the impression drains the battery. It is a lot better than the battery life on the S1 though - especially as I couldn't turn that handset off!

I'd say you'd get a day maximum out of it with your usage.
    Do you use the original charger? I used a dodgy one earlier and my Galaxy kept crashing, then when the battery was at 60% it suddenly turned off and when I turned it on again the battery levels were at 19%! I then turned the phone off again for about 30min and battery levels had risen to 21% and so I kept it off for a while longer, until it reached 31% and got pissed off then realised that it was the charger's fault - when I took the charger out earlier, I kept getting "voltage too high" messages so I tried my Desire's charger and that was a lot better!

Yes, widgets (amongst a load of other things seem to be draining the goddamn thing pretty badly. Like, in the last 10min, my battery went from 53% to 50% and I haven't even touched the phone!

I'm getting 5hrs if I'm lucky! :eek2:

Do you guys find that your keyboard stops responding and makes the phone crash? Or does this just happen to me?
    I've never had so many problems with a phone before! :eek2:

ReputationRep:
    In 2hrs 30min the battery has gone from 100% to 50%. I've had Skype open and have been using Dolphin Browser from the get go. Screen mode is on dynamic and brightness goes to about 1/4 of the bar. I'm gonna reboot the phone, uninstall a few apps and if things don't get better over the next few days, I'm downgrading again, haha! Before my Desire S, I had the HTC Sensation and it was as bad as this!

I prefer battery levels over the overall device, tbh. I'm actually considering sticking with the Desire and making a couple hundred quid off the Galaxy if things don't improve over the next few days. I've heard good things about the S3. My uncle's colleague recently bought it and he really likes it. Also, gsmarena claims that the S3 has over 9hrs battery life whilst running on 3G, but the site also says that the S2 has over 8hrs on 3G, but at this rate, I'm barely getting 5hrs!

Do you use the original charger? I used a dodgy one earlier and my Galaxy kept crashing, then when the battery was at 60% it suddenly turned off and when I turned it on again the battery levels were at 19%! I then turned the phone off again for about 30min and battery levels had risen to 21% and so I kept it off for a while longer, until it reached 31% and got pissed off then realised that it was the charger's fault - when I took the charger out earlier, I kept getting "voltage too high" messages so I tried my Desire's charger and that was a lot better!

Yes, widgets (amongst a load of other things seem to be draining the goddamn thing pretty badly. Like, in the last 10min, my battery went from 53% to 50% and I haven't even touched the phone!

Do you guys find that your keyboard stops responding and makes the phone crash? Or does this just happen to me?
    I use the original charger, or I connect to my laptop through USB, or I use one of the parents Sony chargers. Haven't noticed any big difference though, takes long to charge on the original one though (about four hours to fully charge - plug it in at 10 and it usually wakes me up at 2 telling me to unplug).

The only time the phone stops responding is when I'm using MyFitnessPal. But that causes all phones I've used it on to go funny - Sonys, Samsungs, HTCs. Its slower and lags slightly when its on charge, although that's got better since it updated to ICS this week.

One question I have about ICS - whenever I go to open anything from the notification bar, it goes to my lock screen. I have GO locker installed, as the new stock lock screen is awful, but this goes to the stock one. And its so annoying, can't find any way to change this in the settings. Any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    Juice Defender a good little app, that saves your battery.

ReputationRep:

Wow, why did you choose to downgrade from the Sensation to Desire S? Did you notice a speed impact difference?

That SGS2 deal is so cheap!! What condition was it in?

ReputationRep:
    Natwest mobile banking app. Works without mobile signal or any other type of data connection... There's an open WiFi spot within range too... Fail!
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    @Mikey,

New Fallout version tonight!! I'm hyped.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lohoj)
    @Mikey,

New Fallout version tonight!! I'm hyped.
    Oooh.... Nice!

ReputationRep:
    gta is 69p on the app store right now grab a bargain haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hassi94)
    That didn't solve it unfortunately

Just to clarify - I can log in to play.google.com, click install, choose my device and it gives me the message 'This will be installed to your app shortly' and then says 'installed' on play.google.com but it never actually installs.
    What happens when you log in with the market app?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by birdsong1)
    What happens when you log in with the market app?
    I can buy things from the play store on my s2 absolutely fine.

ReputationRep:
    I can buy things from the play store on my s2 absolutely fine.
    Get a logcat, see if any errors pop up when you try to push the item. Ideally you should get something like

Code:
    InstallerImpl.requestInstall: Request install of [app package name]
    and it'll go wrong shortly after.

Honestly, though, not sure. Short of a full wipe, you can try flashing a newer gapps, then if that doesn't work, using titanium backup to wiping the play store app's data (keeping in mind I have no idea if that'll cause any side-effects).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by birdsong1)
    Get a logcat, see if any errors pop up when you try to push the item. Ideally you should get something like

Code:
    InstallerImpl.requestInstall: Request install of [app package name]
    and it'll go wrong shortly after.

Honestly, though, not sure. Short of a full wipe, you can try flashing a newer gapps, then if that doesn't work, using titanium backup to wiping the play store app's data (keeping in mind I have no idea if that'll cause any side-effects).
    I think my phone's in need of a full wipe anyway - so I'll do that but I'll leave it until next week when I've got more free time (no exams :ahee:).

ReputationRep:
    I think my phone's in need of a full wipe anyway - so I'll do that but I'll leave it until next week when I've got more free time (no exams :ahee:).
    How did STEP II go? :poke:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by und)
    How did STEP II go? :poke:
    Not great, to be honest. Wasn't terrible though, and I'm somewhere near the 1/2 boundary I think - I just hope I'm on the right side of it. Pressure really did get to me in the exam - hopefully now I can nail STEP III, tough

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.