Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What is the AOKP and how is it different to AOSP. Would I need to install a ROM and a Kernel or just one.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if the GS2 will get Jelly Bean.

ReputationRep:
    Galaxy S2 better get JB or it's the last Samsung phone i'll get until they sort their update policy out.

Really hope it does... it's the lag-free UI that really gets my attention!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cakefish)
    Galaxy S2 better get JB or it's the last Samsung phone i'll get until they sort their update policy out.

Really hope it does... it's the lag-free UI that really gets my attention!
    Are you having the same problems as me with ICS on GS2. Like Phone turning of, random crashes and freezies, dodgey wifi connection when you turn it off?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCasual)
    Are you having the same problems as me with ICS on GS2. Like Phone turning of, random crashes and freezies, dodgey wifi connection when you turn it off?
    Did you factory reset when going from GB to ICS?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCasual)
    Currently, the SD card bug is the worst problem for me. A full battery can empty itself in about 20 minutes after getting stuck in a restart loop. :/ There's also the Wi-Fi problem (which wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have to restart and experience the SD card bug again), and the generally poor battery life compared to GB (it seems to be particularly when I'm connected to Wi-Fi).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theronkinator)
    Did you factory reset when going from GB to ICS?
    Yeah. I reset it about month after I updated ICS. It improved it slightly. I'm on 4.03, isn't there 4.04?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizard710)
    What is the AOKP and how is it different to AOSP. Would I need to install a ROM and a Kernel or just one.
    AOKP, basically, is a lot more customisable.
    All ROMs come with their own kernel, be it stock or modified. That'll flash along with the ROM.

ReputationRep:
    Got a slightly odd problem with my phone, the time is out by 2 minutes which i thought it was rather odd. In my settings the Automatic date & time(use network-provided time) the time is 2 minutes ahead of my laptop/sky box and everything else, anyone else got this problem?

ReputationRep:
    How do I link my contacts to Google so that I can have a backup via GMail? The only contacts that get synced are the ones that have been added after I got my phone and added Google accounts, but for all the rest of my contacts, they won't sync with Google?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by johnnn)
    Got a slightly odd problem with my phone, the time is out by 2 minutes which i thought it was rather odd. In my settings the Automatic date & time(use network-provided time) the time is 2 minutes ahead of my laptop/sky box and everything else, anyone else got this problem?
    Set the time manually?

(Original post by nosaer)
    How do I link my contacts to Google so that I can have a backup via GMail? The only contacts that get synced are the ones that have been added after I got my phone and added Google accounts, but for all the rest of my contacts, they won't sync with Google?
    1.) Go to your contacts.

2.) Hit the menu button.

3.) Select import/export – from here you can choose to import from SIM or SD card. You can also export contacts from here.

4.) Once you pick import from SD or SIM (wherever your contacts are) the phone will start to import your contacts and the phone will automatically back your contacts up to your Google account.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    Set the time manually?

1.) Go to your contacts.

2.) Hit the menu button.

3.) Select import/export – from here you can choose to import from SIM or SD card. You can also export contacts from here.

4.) Once you pick import from SD or SIM (wherever your contacts are) the phone will start to import your contacts and the phone will automatically back your contacts up to your Google account.
    Thanks for the reply. All my contacts are already on my phone, its just that other than the few I have added recently, none of them are linked to Google accounts.

I tried exporting all of them to the SIM and then importing them all back to the phone hoping that will link them to Google but no luck. It instead links them to "Unknown 1" (don't know if that was because of the import or always there).

Do you know of any option that sets contacts to link with Google by default or any way I can change this?

Failing that, how do I create them as a .csv file because it seems you can import to Google contacts from a .csv file?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nosaer)
    Thanks for the reply. All my contacts are already on my phone, its just that other than the few I have added recently, none of them are linked to Google accounts.

I tried exporting all of them to the SIM and then importing them all back to the phone hoping that will link them to Google but no luck. It instead links them to "Unknown 1" (don't know if that was because of the import or always there).

Do you know of any option that sets contacts to link with Google by default or any way I can change this?

Failing that, how do I create them as a .csv file because it seems you can import to Google contacts from a .csv file?
    Hmmm.... http://www.appbrain.com/app/backup-c...backupcontacts might help.

ReputationRep:
    I'll give it a go. Odd that such a simple thing isn't accounted for by Google? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Set the time manually?
    Tried that but it keeps going back to the same old settings

ReputationRep:
    I keep getting "Charging paused. Voltage too high" message and it seems it's quite a well documented error. It's driving me nuts as it happens every time I charge the phone

ReputationRep:
    I keep getting "Charging paused. Voltage too high" message and it seems it's quite a well documented error. It's driving me nuts as it happens every time I charge the phone
    What phone? Same issue when charging from a USB port on a PC / Console / Whatever? Tried using a lower output charger?

ReputationRep:
    What phone? Same issue when charging from a USB port on a PC / Console / Whatever? Tried using a lower output charger?
    S2. I've tried multiple wall chargers but not from a PC

ReputationRep:
    S2. I've tried multiple wall chargers but not from a PC
    I'd give it a go, see what happens. It'll be a slooooow charge though.

ReputationRep:
    I'd give it a go, see what happens. It'll be a slooooow charge though.
    Yeah, I'm going to let it run most of the way down then charge it full. Will be slow but hopefully it will work

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.