Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Got my Galaxy S3 on Monday but can't open it till I know I've got the deal I wanted approved, should know by friday/saturday, otherwise have to return it

So tempted to open it but got to be strong. Even worse my touchpad is waiting to be picked up for a warranty repair, almost two weeks since the collection was ordered and the idiots at HP just told me to wait when I rang them earlier.

So I currently have two android devices sat in boxes in my room and can't use either.

ReputationRep:
    Just changed my email address from a hotmail.com to an outlook.com and I don't know how to get my emails come through to my phone through the android email app. Can anyone help? My phone is an HTC Desire

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone recommend a good ROM for the Galaxy Nexus? My new phone should be arriving from an insurance claim tomorrow, and I never rooted my last one. Thought this was a good chance to start! I have been looking at the CM9 RC1.I'm looking for something which is hopefully not too buggy

edit - also looking at liquid smooth.

Can anyone provide feedback? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AHP1)
    Just changed my email address from a hotmail.com to an outlook.com and I don't know how to get my emails come through to my phone through the android email app. Can anyone help? My phone is an HTC Desire
    POP setting

Server name: XXXX.outlook.com

Port: 995

Encryption method: SSL

IMAP setting

Server name: XXXXX.outlook.com

Port: 993

SMTP setting

Port: 587

Encryption method: TLS

(Original post by tface)
    Can anyone recommend a good ROM for the Galaxy Nexus? My new phone should be arriving from an insurance claim tomorrow, and I never rooted my last one. Thought this was a good chance to start! I have been looking at the CM9 RC1.I'm looking for something which is hopefully not too buggy

edit - also looking at liquid smooth.

Can anyone provide feedback? Thanks!
    RC1 would suggest release candidate status and therefore not bug free. Personally, I'd go for an AOKP based ROM. I have no knowledge of the different ROMs for this phone.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=mikeyd85;38793913]POP setting

Server name: XXXX.outlook.com

Port: 995

IMAP setting

Port: 993

SMTP setting

Port: 587

Encryption method: TLS

Ive tried the top two solutions and it says that the server is not responding...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AHP1)
    Ive tried the top two solutions and it says that the server is not responding...?
    What are you replacing xxxxx with?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    What are you replacing xxxxx with?
    my email address, just the beginning bit, e.g. johnsmith99 , not [email protected]

ReputationRep:
    my S2 is running slow eg. If I exit an app to the homescreen it takes a second for everything to load and it takes longer for my phone to boot up now than it did before

I did download some torrents but I deleted all of them

It's a tiny problem but this is meant to be one of the fastest phones in the world so I don't really expect problems like this

:fuhrer:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)

RC1 would suggest release candidate status and therefore not bug free. Personally, I'd go for an AOKP based ROM. I have no knowledge of the different ROMs for this phone.
    Thanks for the reply, I will take a look Do you prefer AOKP to CM9/10? If so, why?

(Original post by diggy)
    my S2 is running slow eg. If I exit an app to the homescreen it takes a second for everything to load and it takes longer for my phone to boot up now than it did before

I did download some torrents but I deleted all of them

It's a tiny problem but this is meant to be one of the fastest phones in the world so I don't really expect problems like this
    Do you have a lot of widgets on the home screens? That can cause slow downs. You could try flashing a new ROM which might be quicker, or maybe a new launcher might make a difference (don't know about the latter).

ReputationRep:
    I'm fairly new to android and I'm looking to learn more, I apologise if this has been covered but it's late and I really don't feel like reading back through God knows how many pages to find stuff. I'm looking for good apps, paid or free to install if anyone has any suggestions. A good backup app would be great, if that's possible. I've rooted the phone already. If there's any other tips I would appreciate it. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexs2602)
    I'm fairly new to android and I'm looking to learn more, I apologise if this has been covered but it's late and I really don't feel like reading back through God knows how many pages to find stuff. I'm looking for good apps, paid or free to install if anyone has any suggestions. A good backup app would be great, if that's possible. I've rooted the phone already. If there's any other tips I would appreciate it. Thanks.
    Have you installed clockwork mod recovery? It allows you to create an entire backup of your device For backing up apps, use Titanium Backup (there are free and paid versions!).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tface)
    Have you installed clockwork mod recovery? It allows you to create an entire backup of your device For backing up apps, use Titanium Backup (there are free and paid versions!).
    I don't think clockworkmod recovery supports my phone yet but I'll bear it in mind. I've got titanium backup pro, haven't gotten used to it yet but will do sometime soon. Seems like a good app though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tface)
    Thanks for the reply, I will take a look Do you prefer AOKP to CM9/10? If so, why?
    I prefer AOKP - if for nothing more than the different hardware control switches in the Notification Area.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    The most popular backup app is Titanium Backup but personally I like MyBackup Root. Then as already mentioned you can do a complete backup of the phone (not the memory card) using nandroid in recovery mode.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I don't think clockworkmod recovery supports my phone yet but I'll bear it in mind. I've got titanium backup pro, haven't gotten used to it yet but will do sometime soon. Seems like a good app though.
    Do you have Rom Manager installed? If your phone is compatible, then you can flash either the standard or touch version of CM Recovery via Rom Manager.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex_hk90)
    The most popular backup app is Titanium Backup but personally I like MyBackup Root. Then as already mentioned you can do a complete backup of the phone (not the memory card) using nandroid in recovery mode.
    I second mybackup, found it better than titanium (the free version at least) and you can backup other things as well.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Desire Z

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCrackInTime)
    Do you have Rom Manager installed? If your phone is compatible, then you can flash either the standard or touch version of CM Recovery via Rom Manager.
    I've installed the ROM manager now but haven't flashed it with CM recovery due to compatibility issues - it's still in beta. Is it worth using a beta version or waiting until it's fully supported?

Edit: Went ahead and installed the beta. After a couple of attempts I managed to get a backup(13.3MB~ - is that normal?). Froze a couple of apps with titanium and that's it so far.

ReputationRep:
    I've always used the standard Android web browser but it has crashed a lot recently and it's infuriating losing 8 tabs of sites.

Which is better: Firefox or Chrome? Or any other?

ReputationRep:
    I think dolphin browser is best

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Desire Z

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.