Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey Mikey, hows it going? Used you are using SuperKids JB, how are you finding it? Used it today, and ira fantastic!

ReputationRep:
    I now have the SGS3, after 4 years of Nokia, I've decided for a change.
    What things are must haves and what tricks should I look out for. So far it's an amazing phone.

ReputationRep:
    My GS2 auto updated to ICS 4.04 yesterday. Thought I'd have to do through Kies though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCasual)
    My GS2 auto updated to ICS 4.04 yesterday. Thought I'd have to do through Kies though
    You can do it through Kies? Shows how much I know. What network aare you on?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100

ReputationRep:
    I am looking forward to joining the android world today, waiting for delivery of my s3. Decided to have a change from the world of iPhone.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Karma Charger)

You can try, I've yet to see it work though, I use Odin. The Galaxy S2 ICS update is KIES (or Odin only) and not OTA, so if you've not used them or possibly have new stock are you still on gingerbread?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lohoj)
    Hey Mikey, hows it going? Used you are using SuperKids JB, how are you finding it? Used it today, and ira fantastic!
    I'm good fella! You?

Mmmmm... Jelly Bean flavour :drool:. Excellent ROM, Superkid is a right legend - says he's got another update for us coming soon. Had a few issues to far - phone came crashing to a halt last night but nothing a reboot can't fix. I really like JB tbh. It feels like a polished ICS. :yep:

ReputationRep:

I did the original update ICS through Kies. Just download Kies to your PC, connect it via your USB cable.

Vodafone, but I upgraded through Phones4u so I'm not sure if its sim free or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theronkinator)
    You can try, I've yet to see it work though, I use Odin. The Galaxy S2 ICS update is KIES (or Odin only) and not OTA, so if you've not used them or possibly have new stock are you still on gingerbread?
    I downloaded ICS OTA (that's by going on settings, about phone, software update?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCasual)
    I've been prompted many times to do the over the air update but am still happily on Gingerbread. I still see no point in upgrading. All the apps work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    I've been prompted many times to do the over the air update but am still happily on Gingerbread. I still see no point in upgrading. All the apps work.
    I'd recommend updating, there are plenty of perks...

ReputationRep:
    I downloaded ICS OTA (that's by going on settings, about phone, software update?)
    Maybe they changed it then, on release in April it was KIES only. Maybe to reduce the strain a bit.

ReputationRep:
    Android noob here. But I want to root my new S3, but I'm not really sure how :confused:. REally want to use the phone at full potential and I've heard that some ROMs allow you to use the volume rocker as a camera shutter button, which is one of the major perks I'm looking for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jin3011)
    Android noob here. But I want to root my new S3, but I'm not really sure how :confused:. REally want to use the phone at full potential and I've heard that some ROMs allow you to use the volume rocker as a camera shutter button, which is one of the major perks I'm looking for.
    This should do it for you (download and instructions):
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1695238

ReputationRep:
    What would actually happen if I were to root S3? What would I be able to do different than what I can do now on it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jin3011)
    What would actually happen if I were to root S3? What would I be able to do different than what I can do now on it?
    I don't know precisely for the S3 but here goes.

When you root all you're really doing is opening up the possibility of allowing apps to access more of your phone's filesystem and so allows for more features.

One thing rooting allows you to do is install a custom recover image (recovery is a mode you can boot into on every phone for manufacturer purposes, emergency re-flashes of official ROMs etc) which allows you to install custom ROMs from the SD card among other things. Installing recovery is often done along side rooting if your phone requires external devices to acquire root.

So when you actually root your S3 not much will be different. There will be new apps, SuperUser and perhaps ROM Manager but largely all you have done is unlock potential, not harness it.

ReputationRep:
    Heyyy guys,

Current i9000 user here thinking of upgrading, not sure if I should go for the iPhone 4S or Galaxy S2? Some review sites say iPhone is better, some say S2 is :s

Without thinking about the fact S2 can be rooted (more features etc), which one is better, iphone 4S or S2? Cost is a factor im considering too (student lol)

Cheers guys!

ReputationRep:
    Depends what you want In a phone, I personally would say S2 because I like Android and it has a bigger screen not sure about the iPhone but the s2 has an 8 mp camera with 1080p recording as well.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Desire Z

(Original post by Zakir)
    Heyyy guys,

Current i9000 user here thinking of upgrading, not sure if I should go for the iPhone 4S or Galaxy S2? Some review sites say iPhone is better, some say S2 is :s

Without thinking about the fact S2 can be rooted (more features etc), which one is better, iphone 4S or S2? Cost is a factor im considering too (student lol)

Cheers guys!
    It's pretty close (apart from the screen resolution ), but I think you might miss Android :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by + polarity -)
    It's pretty close (apart from the screen resolution ), but I think you might miss Android :p:
    Considering the iPhone was released 8 months after the S2, Samsung have done well for themselves :mmm:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.