Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zakir)
    Heyyy guys,

Current i9000 user here thinking of upgrading, not sure if I should go for the iPhone 4S or Galaxy S2? Some review sites say iPhone is better, some say S2 is :s

Without thinking about the fact S2 can be rooted (more features etc), which one is better, iphone 4S or S2? Cost is a factor im considering too (student lol)

Cheers guys!
    Why not go for the S3? Isn't the iPhone still £30+ on pay monthly contracts?

ReputationRep:
    Also, I'm liking ICS 4.04, the browser is a big improvement. No more crashes/wifi issues like I had with 4.03 so far

(Original post by Karma Charger)
    Considering the iPhone was released 8 months after the S2, Samsung have done well for themselves :mmm:
    Yeah!

I think it would be worth looking for a comparison between the SGX543 and Mali-400. I'm guessing the Mali will **** on it because they're still using it in the S III :innocent:

ReputationRep:
    Looking to buy my first Android Phone, I was thinking, which one is good? I want it to have the latest version 4.1 Jelly beam , i dont mind having a older version but it still has to be capable to update it to 4.1. Could i do that for under £100 or under £150? Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by helpmekid)
    Looking to buy my first Android Phone, I was thinking, which one is good? I want it to have the latest version 4.1 Jelly beam , i dont mind having a older version but it still has to be capable to update it to 4.1. Could i do that for under £100 or under £150? Cheers

There aren't any 4.1 (JB) phones under £150, it just got released. There is the Nexus 7 for £159, but that's a tablet. Try getting a used nexus phone. They get updates from Android the quickest compared to Samsungs etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by es.c)
    There aren't any 4.1 (JB) phones under £150, it just got released. There is the Nexus 7 for £159, but that's a tablet. Try getting a used nexus phone. They get updates from Android the quickest compared to Samsungs etc
    Or you can get a phone and root it to get JB but it won't have everything working fully

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Desire Z

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by es.c)
    ummmm, Ok, Thanks for the Information, Is there a website, which shows Phones Prices, and like a graph showing how much they price went down over a period of time?

I know GSMArena (my favourite) has graphs on the side when you look at individual phones (example), but the prices are in € and I doubt it takes sites like eBay into consideration (which is a site I would not ignore in your case!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zakir)
    Heyyy guys,

Current i9000 user here thinking of upgrading, not sure if I should go for the iPhone 4S or Galaxy S2? Some review sites say iPhone is better, some say S2 is :s

Without thinking about the fact S2 can be rooted (more features etc), which one is better, iphone 4S or S2? Cost is a factor im considering too (student lol)

Cheers guys!

I have an S2 (Samsung ungraded me from a faulty standard S a few months ago, so I'm coming out of a contract with a great phone that's relatively new) and I love it. I haven't rooted, but I've customised it loads, and it generally runs like a dream as long as I remember to close any applications (I tend to just press the home button). Its a little too big for my hands, I can't hold and reach all of the screen with one hand. But its lovely and light, fits in a pocket nicely, and the camera is amazing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ninegrandstudent)
    I have an S2 (Samsung ungraded me from a faulty standard S a few months ago, so I'm coming out of a contract with a great phone that's relatively new) and I love it. I haven't rooted, but I've customised it loads, and it generally runs like a dream as long as I remember to close any applications (I tend to just press the home button). Its a little too big for my hands, I can't hold and reach all of the screen with one hand. But its lovely and light, fits in a pocket nicely, and the camera is amazing.
    Hmmm...theres just something aboutt the iOS interface etc still in 2 minds about it lol

Why not go for the S3? Isn't the iPhone still £30+ on pay monthly contracts?
    S3 is out of my budget range, not looking for a contract tbh, happy on PAYG

Do you reckon I could get Orange to give me an S II to stay with them? Hating them atm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by + polarity -)
    Do you reckon I could get Orange to give me an S II to stay with them? Hating them atm
    Orange are terrible. They offered me £36 for HTC sensation XE over the phone, when online I could get it for £21.50... and it was orange's website

I cancelled the contract and went for Galaxy S2. Carphonewarehouse have an orange deal for £20.50/pm. Galaxy S2 is a decent phone, but getting updates like JB is slow.

Wouldn't advise rooting your phone; so many problems if your not an expert and don't have much time on your hands, plus it voids warranty

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by es.c)
    Orange are terrible. They offered me £36 for HTC sensation XE over the phone, when online I could get it for £21.50... and it was orange's website

I cancelled the contract and went for Galaxy S2. Carphonewarehouse have an orange deal for £20.50/pm. Galaxy S2 is a decent phone, but getting updates like JB is slow.

Wouldn't advise rooting your phone; so many problems if your not an expert and don't have much time on your hands, plus it voids warranty
    So the SII is getting JB officially then? I hope so, but I heard it doesn't support flash?

Also, what's the deal with flash from today? Last day on the Google play store? Can someone provide a full explanation, one of the main reasons I got my phone was because it could support flash...

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100

(Original post by es.c)

I have no respect for the warranty, I don't think that will be a problem :sly:

ReputationRep:
    So the SII is getting JB officially then? I hope so, but I heard it doesn't support flash?

Also, what's the deal with flash from today? Last day on the Google play store? Can someone provide a full explanation, one of the main reasons I got my phone was because it could support flash...

It should be getting the JB update, its just a matter of when. Android 4 was released in November, Samsung got it out in May if I remember correctly, that's 6 month wait-ish. So you can expect 4.1 around December at earliest. Flash is just outdated. To be honest, I use the Google chrome browser on my phone which doesn't have flash, and I can safely say I never required it. HTML5 is the new way forward and its getting more popular. Flash will eventually be a thing of the past

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by es.c)
    It should be getting the JB update, its just a matter of when. Android 4 was released in November, Samsung got it out in May if I remember correctly, that's 6 month wait-ish. So you can expect 4.1 around December at earliest. Flash is just outdated. To be honest, I use the Google chrome browser on my phone which doesn't have flash, and I can safely say I never required it. HTML5 is the new way forward and its getting more popular. Flash will eventually be a thing of the past
    I like watching things off the BBC sports sites etc...

ReputationRep:
    I like watching things off the BBC sports sites etc...

They optimise there mobile site so you can watch what you want, and theres also a BBC iPlayer app which is pretty good and has a load of content to watch

S II or One S, guys? I can't decide
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by + polarity -)
    S II or One S, guys? I can't decide
    I would go for One S personally. Then again I'm a bit biased towards HTC because my Desire has been great.

(Original post by alex_hk90)
    I would go for One S personally. Then again I'm a bit biased towards HTC because my Desire has been great.
    I touched a One S a few days ago, and I really liked it, very nice to hold. However, the lack of a card slot*, and the Adreno (compared to the Mali)... :/

But! I have a 16GB card at the moment, and I haven't even used half of it yet :beard:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.