Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    So, the time is drawing near for me to retire my trusty San Francisco which has been an absolute workhorse for the last 2 years. I want something a bit zippier and swish. I've just bought a Nexus 7 which I love and I adore, so the Samsung Galaxy Note (and forthcoming Note II) aren't contenders. I'm toying with either the Galaxy SIII or the Galaxy Nexus but I'm not sure what to go for.

Thoughts?
    I have the Galaxy Nexus. If you are looking to root, it is extremely simple to do so and there are a lot of ROMs available for it, including plenty of Jelly Bean ones. Obviously the SIII has a slightly larger screen and more powerful processor, but due to running ICS touchwiz it will be considerably less smooth than stock ICS never mind Jelly Bean. The Gnex has no capacitive buttons along the bottom, so all of the buttons are on the screen by default, which I personally think is nicer. The SIII has a microsd slot if you find that important, I personally don't have a large music/film collection I want to carry around with me at all times.

The main reason I would recommend the Galaxy Nexus would be the fact it runs pure stock android, just like the Nexus 7. To be honest, they are both great phones and you could do a lot worse than either one :yep: feel free to ask me any questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jedi4)
    Does the galaxy s3 support usb 3.0? via the usb adapter?
    Nope.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tface)
    I have the Galaxy Nexus. If you are looking to root, it is extremely simple to do so and there are a lot of ROMs available for it, including plenty of Jelly Bean ones. Obviously the SIII has a slightly larger screen and more powerful processor, but due to running ICS touchwiz it will be considerably less smooth than stock ICS never mind Jelly Bean. The Gnex has no capacitive buttons along the bottom, so all of the buttons are on the screen by default, which I personally think is nicer. The SIII has a microsd slot if you find that important, I personally don't have a large music/film collection I want to carry around with me at all times.

The main reason I would recommend the Galaxy Nexus would be the fact it runs pure stock android, just like the Nexus 7. To be honest, they are both great phones and you could do a lot worse than either one :yep: feel free to ask me any questions.
    Haven't the Nexuses in the UK been updated to Jellybean?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Karma Charger)
    Haven't the Nexuses in the UK been updated to Jellybean?
    Yes, why? There are many more reasons to use a ROM than "to get the next version of Android"

http://www.gsmarena.com/unknown_htc_...-news-4735.php

Better 12 or 16 mpix camera, so Samsung will fall on their a$$ And ofc 60fps video 2,5 GHz Quad, probably... This might be HTC Zeta, that we have been expecting for long time
    What the heeeell?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tface)
    Yes, why? There are many more reasons to use a ROM than "to get the next version of Android"
    I am aware of that, I just thought your post implied that it wasn't available yet. My bad.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gummers)
    When they release an Linux based OS for the iPhone, i shall be pimping it.
    Jailbreaking?

ReputationRep:
    Tbh I won't buy it unless they put an i5 3570k in it. I want it to be at least as powerful as my desktop -.-

ReputationRep:
    So, I went to go play with the S III and the Nexus today...

I don't know if it was a function of it being white, but I didn't like the look of the S III... and as fast as it was, I didn't like the ROM on it... but then if I got the S III it'd be rooted and ROM'd anyway to get rid of all the stock bloat... I know it's a better specced phone overall though, so I'm struggling to decide.

I don't like the fact that the corners at the top and the corners at the bottom are different :yucky:

ReputationRep:
    So, I went to go play with the S III and the Nexus today...

I don't know if it was a function of it being white, but I didn't like the look of the S III... and as fast as it was, I didn't like the ROM on it... but then if I got the S III it'd be rooted and ROM'd anyway to get rid of all the stock bloat... I know it's a better specced phone overall though, so I'm struggling to decide.
    If it's going to be ROM'd anyway then consider - the screen, the build quality/aesthetics, the capacitive buttons, and the spec. For me the winners are SIII, Gnex, Gnex, SIII, respectively. Which does not help you in the slightest

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone recommend me a good launcher for my S2?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tface)
    If it's going to be ROM'd anyway then consider - the screen, the build quality/aesthetics, the capacitive buttons, and the spec. For me the winners are SIII, Gnex, Gnex, SIII, respectively. Which does not help you in the slightest
    :nooo:

I don't think it's a hugely aesthetically pleasing phone, if I'm honest. It's not winning any style awards from me... but style aside; I'd have to get it in that Pebble Blue (or if they pull their fingers out and get it over to the UK, the newly announced Sapphire Black) as the white is ****ing ugly. :lolwut:

:sigh:

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone recommend me a good launcher for my S2?
    GO Launcher EX.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whyumadtho)
    GO Launcher EX.
    Thanks :yy: Have you tried nova launcher? I've heard good things about them too.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks :yy: Have you tried nova launcher? I've heard good things about them too.

I've spent a few hours using it when I was first looking for custom launchers; I prefer the customisability and general interface of GO Launcher EX.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whyumadtho)
    I've spent a few hours using it when I was first looking for custom launchers; I prefer the customisability and general interface of GO Launcher EX.
    Thanks. I'll download it now.

ReputationRep:
    :nooo:

I don't think it's a hugely aesthetically pleasing phone, if I'm honest. It's not winning any style awards from me... but style aside; I'd have to get it in that Pebble Blue (or if they pull their fingers out and get it over to the UK, the newly announced Sapphire Black) as the white is ****ing ugly. :lolwut:

:sigh:
    I agree, the white is not pretty. I recently received a new Galaxy Nexus due to an insurance claim and unfortunately they sent me a white one, it isn't as bad as the SIII in white but it is definitely not as nice as the original dark grey.

ReputationRep:
    So I was gonna install cyanogenmod on my x8, get stuck on step one of this guide. Can anyone explain what baseband is (from what I've gleaned it's to do with wireless/calls and so on) and how to check if mine ends in 015?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A.J10)
    So I was gonna install cyanogenmod on my x8, get stuck on step one of this guide. Can anyone explain what baseband is (from what I've gleaned it's to do with wireless/calls and so on) and how to check if mine ends in 015?
    Settings then about phone then baseband version. It's just as you say to do with the way the phone communicated wirelessly (phone and internet signal).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.