Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCrackInTime)
    This is just full of win. :awesome:
    I will literally ROFL if Apple are barred from selling iphone 5's because of this! XD

Anyone here own an xperia s and have any tips on extending the battery life? I know about the old myth about discharging completely before plugging in, however with Li-poly batteries apparently this will reduce battery life?

ReputationRep:
    Is there any way at all to turn the annoying as hell voice command thing off on a Galaxy S2? Maybe my homescreen button is broke or I'm pressing it wrong but more often than not it acts as if I have pressed it twice then voice talk comes up and asks me what would I like to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by outlaw-torn)
    Is there any way at all to turn the annoying as hell voice command thing off on a Galaxy S2? Maybe my homescreen button is broke or I'm pressing it wrong but more often than not it acts as if I have pressed it twice then voice talk comes up and asks me what would I like to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Speak to people on XDA. You can change the behaviour of soft keys by modifying one of the system files but the name of which evades me. You could modify it to accept only long presses and for only the function you want. It's quite a common tweak.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hassi94)
    What are you talking about, I've been using jelly bean on my S2 for months :smug:

hahaha; but i'm on contract and I don't want to void any T&C's if anything goes wrong...hey btw can you get android beam on a custom ROM?

ReputationRep:
    Bit new to this android lark but as a novice thought I'd share my experiences so far. Was suggested Dolphin here and it certainly seems the best browser I've tried so far(including chrome, opera mini and dolphin mini). Tried out Go launcher definitely seems a much nicer UI than Sense(aluminium). Also been using CWM recovery and ROM manager and although it doesn't seem the most stable for my phone I eventually got a full NAND backup which worked perfectly when I had to use it. Not impressed with GO sms pro - found it laggy and frankly unappealing compared to what comes as stock. Also have a mass of other apps but those are the ones I thought were most worth commenting on so far.

As for another question; what should I be looking for in ROMs and kernels?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by outlaw-torn)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Freeze it using Titanium Backup (or a similar program) and it will no longer open.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by + polarity -)
    Can the One S use 4G? First I've heard of it
    I think it can in America. But that's only the branded version. I don't know about unbranded.

(Original post by nathano14)
    I think it can in America. But that's only the branded version. I don't know about unbranded.
    The 4G ones use the MSM8960 IIRC, which is basically the 8260A with LTE support. I find the approach that HTC, Samsung etc. take is very confusing, so many models with variations for different continents and networks, sorry, carriers. And then they start ****ing with the processors too (yh I'm still mad)

ReputationRep:
    Damn, that's a shame. The worst thing is even when 4G is released, phones will probably come out months after anyway (especially with how UK retailers are). i'm gonna be waiting a long time

ReputationRep:
    Anybody sick of their phone?

I hate it because I'm always on it. But I need it cos I'm always on it. I wanna go back to the dark ages (i.e 90's) and bin this POS, then people can send me beeper messages and i'll have messages when I get home. I hate being connected sometimes. It's like slavery I tell you :fuhrer:

/rant

So what new Android phones are coming? Think I'm gonna hold out until next April with my SGS2. I'm bored with it but it's too much work to flash it, especially with certain apps (Sky) not working.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)

I hate it because I'm always on it. But I need it cos I'm always on it. I wanna go back to the dark ages (i.e 90's) and bin this POS, then people can send me beeper messages and i'll have messages when I get home. I hate being connected sometimes. It's like slavery I tell you :fuhrer:

/rant

So what new Android phones are coming? Think I'm gonna hold out until next April with my SGS2. I'm bored with it but it's too much work to flash it, especially with certain apps (Sky) not working.

clubbling in the mid 90s was a laugh when you pulled and swapped your parents landline numbers using lipstick on your arm or whatever.
    Then theres the fact that most homes landline telephones were located within the hallway (and not cordless) thus the whole household could hear your conversation.

would you seriously want to go back to that?

(Original post by moviebuffateer)
    clubbling in the mid 90s was a laugh when you pulled and swapped your parents landline numbers using lipstick on your arm or whatever.
    Then theres the fact that most homes landline telephones were located within the hallway (and not cordless) thus the whole household could hear your conversation.

would you seriously want to go back to that?
    How... old are you? :indiff:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by + polarity -)
    How... old are you? :indiff:
    Haven’t your parents taught you that it is rude to ask your elders for their age, hehe.

Not that you would know that I am older than you, for all I know you could be older than me.

(Original post by moviebuffateer)
    Haven’t your parents taught you that it is rude to ask your elders for their age, hehe.

Not that you would know that I am older than you, for all I know you could be older than me.
    Ah! Forgot I hid my age this afternoon :sly:

Forget I asked

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCrackInTime)
    This is just full of win. :awesome:
    IMO, Apple started off this patent war because they're kacking themselves. They know they're losing the mobile phone war; just like they lost the personal computer war. Apple have proven themselves to be greed driven, selfish profiteers; and the fact they're releasing a new iPhone virtually every year with yet another pointless upgrade is vindication they are paddling up **** creek without an ore.

Most people with Apple phones don't actually benefit with things that come out of it. Siri? What a joke. Windows Mobile has got a real chance of stealing the market from Apple, just like they did with their PCs, if they play their cards right. Windows phones are showing potential though if they prove Windows Mobile can make a great phone; especially after the disaster that was Windows Mobile 7.5

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)

/rant

Forgive me for sounding like a douche - but you've just made a hypocrite of yourself :confused: If you wanna go back to the 'dark ages', feel free, but why would you be interested in new Android phones if you wanted to go back?

Or maybe that was sarcasm?

I just love it when people on TSR say cack.

ReputationRep:
    I'm bored of my S2, really want root it whatever it's called, but it'll void my warranty , I'm scared of bricking my phone...

(Original post by Karma Charger)
    I'm bored of my S2, really want root it whatever it's called, but it'll void my warranty , I'm scared of bricking my phone...
    I was a little reluctant to root my current phone, especially as HTC have been somewhat two-faced about the unlocking the bootloader, but I did it anyway, what's the worst that could happen? :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    Any ideas when jelly bean will be released for HTC One X?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.