Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I like jellybean.

I'm so sold on the next Nexus phone tbh.

Edit: I think this is my 1000th post in this thread. I'll reflect upon this and post tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    Release Jelly Bean for Galaxy S2 already!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by es.c)
    Release Jelly Bean for Galaxy S2 already!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I concur. Samsung can **** off to hell with their crappy support -_- As long as they reap in the profits for their latest flagship, they simply don't give a ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    So not really kept up with phones in the last few months. Any new monsters on the horizon or is it the usual April wait? The iPhone is a bit of a damp squid. Never had so little interest in an Apple phone.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Meh, the fact that they've gotten rid of the glass on the back is pretty good, though never have they had a release that's felt so mind numbingly incremental as it were. "we made the screen half an inch bigger, got rid of google maps and gave it an aluminium body, where's my £600?".

(Original post by silent ninja)
    Ah yes, usually turns up out of nowhere early December. Should be interesting. Cant believe we're already about half way through this generation of phones (S3, One X). Time flies.
    Not quite, more like a quarter of the way through.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh I really regret getting the HTC Desire C now, I could have gotten the Sony Xperia U. Generally everything seems better on that phone, and it's got the front camera feature which the Desire C doesn't have :/.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kruz)
    Ahh I really regret getting the HTC Desire C now, I could have gotten the Sony Xperia U. Generally everything seems better on that phone, and it's got the front camera feature which the Desire C doesn't have :/.
    I have an Xperia U, it's a great little phone, my first android phone (although I've had an Android Tab for a year, and been messing with my dad's GS2 and DHD for 2 years).
    Only downside of the U is no memory card slot which seems like a big omission. The LED bar is great (not sure on battery impact yes as I've not started using the phone fully yet). Updated to the French ICS, but am not using the phone as my main one until UK ICS is out, rooted it as well. Got it from CPW when they had it for £95 two weeks ago.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theronkinator)
    I have an Xperia U, it's a great little phone, my first android phone (although I've had an Android Tab for a year, and been messing with my dad's GS2 and DHD for 2 years).
    Only downside of the U is no memory card slot which seems like a big omission. The LED bar is great (not sure on battery impact yes as I've not started using the phone fully yet). Updated to the French ICS, but am not using the phone as my main one until UK ICS is out, rooted it as well. Got it from CPW when they had it for £95 two weeks ago.
    It's looks like a neat little phone, camera looks great and the LED bar looks quite nice. The only downside is that it doesn't have Ice Cream Sandwich, and apparently it hasn't been released yet for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theronkinator)
    What are the benefits of rooting?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kruz)
    What are the benefits of rooting?
    Over and under clocking.
    Better IO governors.
    More system tools.
    Ad blocking.
    More customisation.
    Run SU apps.

Loads really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    Over and under clocking.
    Better IO governors.
    More system tools.
    Ad blocking.
    More customisation.
    Run SU apps.

Loads really.
    Could you link me to a website which provides good roots? and also would I need to back up my stuff before rooting?

ReputationRep:

This sounds so boss it's unreal. If they rounded the corners a bit, it sounds like the perfect nexus device. A Quad-core Snapdragon S4 PRO alongside 2GB of RAM with 4G support, a 13 megapixel camera AND pure vanilla Android? Sign me the **** up.

ReputationRep:
    Damn HTC Desire has broken again. This time it just vibrates endlessly when I turn it on and the screen doesn't switch on.

...Hope they'll fix it for free again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliluvschoc)
    Damn HTC Desire has broken again. This time it just vibrates endlessly when I turn it on and the screen doesn't switch on.

...Hope they'll fix it for free again.
    I had that problem four times with my Galaxy S - in the end they replaced it with an S2. They had completely wiped it three times, and I'd ended up paying a huge amount of postage and call costs by then...I'd have sooner have had a working phone that didn't mean the loss of everything I'd got saved on there.

ReputationRep:
    I've found this rooting thing to help me, but I done the power + Volume down button and it's not going into bootloader mode...

ReputationRep:
    I like the Nexus 'label' rumours. That anyone can make a Nexus device if they meet certain requirements.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    I like the Nexus 'label' rumours. That anyone can make a Nexus device if they meet certain requirements.
    Really? I'm not too sure. I think if you want variety and different flavours and the offerings of multiple manufacturers, you have that already under the Android moniker. What I think the nexus brand is good at, is marketing itself as the purest and most premium form of Android under the highest flagship device. It means that there can be one standard default setting for app-developers to have in mind, without dividing it even further between a whole host of different manufacturer specific nexus devices.

I'd much rather they kept it to one singular consistent nexus device for each release cycle. Otherwise the whole "nexus experience" becomes a little pointless. If manufacturers wish to provide vanilla-android, they can already do so without fudging up the nexus brand.

ReputationRep:
    Samsung Nexus II screen protector has appeared in the Carphone Warehouse database.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ninegrandstudent)
    I had that problem four times with my Galaxy S - in the end they replaced it with an S2. They had completely wiped it three times, and I'd ended up paying a huge amount of postage and call costs by then...I'd have sooner have had a working phone that didn't mean the loss of everything I'd got saved on there.
    Really? That doesn't sound great. I have about 2 months left on my contract so I'm going to start looking for a decent replacement now. It's been a good phone apart from these two times it's utterly died on me... :emo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpingjesusholycow)
    Really? I'm not too sure. I think if you want variety and different flavours and the offerings of multiple manufacturers, you have that already under the Android moniker. What I think the nexus brand is good at, is marketing itself as the purest and most premium form of Android under the highest flagship device. It means that there can be one standard default setting for app-developers to have in mind, without dividing it even further between a whole host of different manufacturer specific nexus devices.

I'd much rather they kept it to one singular consistent nexus device for each release cycle. Otherwise the whole "nexus experience" becomes a little pointless. If manufacturers wish to provide vanilla-android, they can already do so without fudging up the nexus brand.
    Apparently there will be Nexus specific features, one is Nexus exclusive games (presumably with improved DRM to attract more AAA developers) and one that's apparently leaked is the ability to stream certain content. Latter is not a feature I'd use but if Google incentivise using/making Nexus devices it could lead to a higher quality top-range of devices with a more unified experience. And it's not that the devices necessarily need to be called 'LG Nexus..." or whatever, it's more like an exclusive 'with Google' branding.
    I still think Google will try and streamline updating/consistency somewhere down the line on the software front, but I think this is a good attempt (if true) to combat the complaint of fragmentation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kruz)
    It's looks like a neat little phone, camera looks great and the LED bar looks quite nice. The only downside is that it doesn't have Ice Cream Sandwich, and apparently it hasn't been released yet for it.
    Mine has Ice Cream Sandwich, I just put the French update on, but UK one should follow shortly. I want root so I can use apps like Wifi Kill and Droidsheep.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.