Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    See, now you've got that ROM with your USB DAC, all you need to do now is use the inbuilt CIFS module in that kernel to map a network location to a local mount point, thus enabling your favourite media application to stream from your local NAS device.
    Sounds simple enough...(I have no clue what you are talking about lol)

My WDTV Live is accessible (hence any USB drive attached to it) via the awesome ES File Explorer. I stream stuff to my phone and tablet all the time. It's a huge pain in the ass on iOS to do this as my brother learned.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    Sounds simple enough...(I have no clue what you are talking about lol)

My WDTV Live is accessible (hence any USB drive attached to it) via the awesome ES File Explorer. I stream stuff to my phone and tablet all the time. It's a huge pain in the ass on iOS to do this as my brother learned.
    What I'm talking about would mean instead of you navigating it all via ES Explorer, you could do it straight from PowerAMP or MXPlayer or anything else.

ReputationRep:
    Right I have a few things.

Firstly I have finally started using my Xperia U, running the french ICS as no UK one and my new contract came so I didn't want to wait anymore, rooted and modded system UI with quick toggles, and all the bloatware removed. Nice phone and enjoying it, but I still despise touch screens with all my heart, horrible things.

Next, I think I posted about this here, basically HP had my Touchpad to fix a cracked case, they broke the wireless, sent it off two more times and all they did was a software update and post it back still broken, even though they broke it. Basically wouldn't do anything about it, so I wrote to head office and am getting a new one shipped from America in the next few weeks. So hopefully that will be sorted, depending what warranty they offer on the replacement. Then I can get ICS back on that again, not been able to use it since mid July.

ReputationRep:
    Just rooted my S3. **** myself when I started as I realised I hadn't enabled USB debugging, but everything is working fine... Was it even necessary? I enabled it now though.

ReputationRep:
    I pressed unroot on the supersu app, I flashed my original firmware again, but my kernel is not the original one... Does this mean I can't receive official updates from Samsung?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Karma Charger)
    I pressed unroot on the supersu app, I flashed my original firmware again, but my kernel is not the original one... Does this mean I can't receive official updates from Samsung?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wait, did you run the original firmware as an official update would run from Sammy or did you just flash an UPDATE.ZIP file in recovery? If it's the former, you'll get updates still. The latter, you won't.

ReputationRep:
    Wait, did you run the original firmware as an official update would run from Sammy or did you just flash an UPDATE.ZIP file in recovery? If it's the former, you'll get updates still. The latter, you won't.
    I downloaded the original firmware from sammobile and flashed using odin... When I go to download mode it says Samsung official.

EDIT: I didn't reset the binary counter using triangle away as it gave me a scary warning message :lol:, if I had done that, would the kernel change? (I'm a noob I know )

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I downloaded the original firmware from sammobile and flashed using odin... When I go to download mode it says Samsung official.

EDIT: I didn't reset the binary counter using triangle away as it gave me a scary warning message :lol:, if I had done that, would the kernel change? (I'm a noob I know )

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm not well up on Sammy software like Oden, Kies and Triangle, so I couldn't say for sure, but what you're saying doesn't sound like it'd change the kernel.

The kernel can be changed by one of two ways:

Install a custom ROM with a different kernel to the one you have already.
    Or
    Install a different kernel directly in place of your current ROM.

The former is the most likely scenario in which a user will change kernel but tbh, 99 times out of 100, nobody is going to notice any real major differences.

I just wish there was a working JellyBean kernel with CIFS for my Desire S... :moon: That'd be awesome. Still, not too long until I can upgrade which considering that this utter monster from HTC has just been announced in Japan ain't too bad at all. Still... I want a Nexus device next...

ReputationRep:
    I'm not well up on Sammy software like Oden, Kies and Triangle, so I couldn't say for sure, but what you're saying doesn't sound like it'd change the kernel.

The kernel can be changed by one of two ways:

Install a custom ROM with a different kernel to the one you have already.
    Or
    Install a different kernel directly in place of your current ROM.

The former is the most likely scenario in which a user will change kernel but tbh, 99 times out of 100, nobody is going to notice any real major differences.

I just wish there was a working JellyBean kernel with CIFS for my Desire S... :moon: That'd be awesome. Still, not too long until I can upgrade which considering that this utter monster from HTC has just been announced in Japan ain't too bad at all. Still... I want a Nexus device next...
    I have the original Kernel file (.tar), if I flash it with odin, will it work? EDIT: Success.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    To be fair I've never been interested in ROMs, the Nexus has done everything I want it to straight out of the box. The inly thing missing was the ability to interface with USB DACs and now I can do that =P
    I know you say you aren't interested in custom ROMs, but I urge you to look at cyanogenmod 10, it is incredible! But if you really aren't interested in customisation then I guess it isn't worth the hassle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tface)
    I know you say you aren't interested in custom ROMs, but I urge you to look at cyanogenmod 10, it is incredible! But if you really aren't interested in customisation then I guess it isn't worth the hassle.
    Is cm10 stable without memory leaks now?

Sent from my GT-I9300

ReputationRep:
    Got an S2 running ICS, got a notification today for a software update and had to postpone until I could get on Wi-Fi. Now when I check for updates it says none found? Any idea what this is?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by outlaw-torn)
    Got an S2 running ICS, got a notification today for a software update and had to postpone until I could get on Wi-Fi. Now when I check for updates it says none found? Any idea what this is?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Try opening kies and plugging in your phone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n0c0ntr0l)
    Is cm10 stable without memory leaks now?

Sent from my GT-I9300
    On a device like the Nexus 7, it will be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by outlaw-torn)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm still on gingerbread on my SGS2 lol works great!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Three UK have been rolling out Jelly Bean updates today. A bit weird how it appears that unbranded devices will get it last...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Three UK have been rolling out Jelly Bean updates today. A bit weird how it appears that unbranded devices will get it last...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    For which manufacturers? I remember someone on xda said HTC were updating their branded phones first, some people got pissssed, it was quite funny actually

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by + polarity -)
    For which manufacturers? I remember someone on xda said HTC were updating their branded phones first, some people got pissssed, it was quite funny actually
    S3. The Samsung Facebook page is full of unhappy people :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I might root my SGS3.
    What are the benefits?
    I know you can get rid of that ChatON bullsh*t as well as other unnecessary bloatware. Some ROMS seem cool (Paradroid?)

What are the risks? And is it possible for something to go wrong? And, should something go wrong, how do I recover my phone?
    A step by step guide on how you guys did it, successfully, would be great!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Konflict)
    I might root my SGS3.
    What are the benefits?
    I know you can get rid of that ChatON bullsh*t as well as other unnecessary bloatware. Some ROMS seem cool (Paradroid?)

What are the risks? And is it possible for something to go wrong? And, should something go wrong, how do I recover my phone?
    A step by step guide on how you guys did it, successfully, would be great!
    Rooting a S3 is seriously easy. Follow these steps exactly and you'll be fine:

Follow these steps on how to install custom ROM's

A good website: www.galaxys3root.com That site has American variants of the S3, so make sure you click on all links that are for the GT-i9300 or "the international version".

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.