Android OS Watch

This discussion is closed.
~style
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/...cle7066924.ece

Or is this thread only for Android OS on mobile devices?
biffyclyro27
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by ~style)

It's predominantly about Android OS on mobile devices, but I'm sure that nobody will be opposed to news from other Android areas. Sounds quite promising.
Ben25
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I saw this on Digg earlier -

Quite a rapid increase in market share.
~style
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Ben25)
I saw this on Digg earlier -

Quite a rapid increase in market share.
I'm sure Apple saw something similar before they decided to sue.
mikeyd85
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago

I originally started this for mobile devices, simply as I had not the foresight to see Android going to set top boxes. It's all Android though!

I'm liking the way the market is grasping Android with both hands. You're getting mobile phones, PMPs, set top boxes all running Android now. It wouldn't surprise me if an Android based TV came out sometime, especially with all these TVs with integrated online services coming out. Hell, even my current TV runs a basic form of Linux for it's menus.
wizard710
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by mikeyd85)
I originally started this for mobile devices, simply as I had not the foresight to see Android going to set top boxes. It's all Android though!

I'm liking the way the market is grasping Android with both hands. You're getting mobile phones, PMPs, set top boxes all running Android now. It wouldn't surprise me if an Android based TV came out sometime, especially with all these TVs with integrated online services coming out. Hell, even my current TV runs a basic form of Linux for it's menus.
Yeah, looking forward to that if it comes
Lil' Flo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
So, I'm thinking if getting the HTC Legend sometime (maybe in June). I've done a fair bit of research and come up with two options.

First, is getting it with Vodafone. However, I'm not too keen on the 24-month contract it was rumoured to come with (£25 p/m, 600 mins, unlimited texts, free insurance/cashback, and for £5 unlimited internet); plus the fact that it will come bundled with Vodafone 360 (which is apparently crap).

Second is to buy the phone for the £400 or so it costs from amazon and get a PAYG SIM from 3. If I top-up £25 every three months, I get unlimited texts (actually 3000 per month, due to fair usage), free 3-3 calls, and 150MB data. And if i use £5 per month from that top-up, I can get unlimited data. Not to mention the free Skype to Skype calls and Windows Messenger.

The Second option works out the same or cheaper over 24 months (£600 versus £600/£720). And I'd prefer my phone without whatever restrictions vodafone could put on it.

Or should i take option three: wait to see if it comes out on other networks.

Thanks...wuld really appreciate your opinions. I've been an android fan for a while, and this will be my first chance to get one!
wizard710
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Lil' Flo)
So, I'm thinking if getting the HTC Legend sometime (maybe in June). I've done a fair bit of research and come up with two options.

First, is getting it with Vodafone. However, I'm not too keen on the 24-month contract it was rumoured to come with (£25 p/m, 600 mins, unlimited texts, free insurance/cashback, and for £5 unlimited internet); plus the fact that it will come bundled with Vodafone 360 (which is apparently crap).

Second is to buy the phone for the £400 or so it costs from amazon and get a PAYG SIM from 3. If I top-up £25 every three months, I get unlimited texts (actually 3000 per month, due to fair usage), free 3-3 calls, and 150MB data. And if i use £5 per month from that top-up, I can get unlimited data. Not to mention the free Skype to Skype calls and Windows Messenger.

The Second option works out the same or cheaper over 24 months (£600 versus £600/£720). And I'd prefer my phone without whatever restrictions vodafone could put on it.

Or should i take option three: wait to see if it comes out on other networks.

Thanks...wuld really appreciate your opinions. I've been an android fan for a while, and this will be my first chance to get one!
I agree with your choice in phone but yeah also heard vodaphone 360 is quite crap. I think if I were you I would wait and see because between now and june other phones will be released and also new deals may come about.

Best place to check is www.buymobilephones.net I got my Hero from there and they are really good. (I think I got my contract for about half the price of what was offered on the t-mobile site and didn't have to pay for the phone like T-mo were asking). Anyway back to the point, the legend isn't on there as it isn't out yet but keep checking it, they may have some cheap deals on the legend.
__WiZaRD__
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Why would you get the Legend over the Desire?
wizard710
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by __WiZaRD__)
Cos it is cheaper, admittedly the desire will probably last you the longest
Lil' Flo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by __WiZaRD__)
Because:
  • I like the Dream/Magic/Hero family and so I subsequently like the Legend
  • It's cheaper
  • It suits my needs. I don't need the extra specs on the Desire - i will happily settle for a mid-range device
  • You gotta love that chin!:yes:
__WiZaRD__
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Lil' Flo)
Because:
  • I like the Dream/Magic/Hero family and so I subsequently like the Legend
  • It's cheaper
  • It suits my needs. I don't need the extra specs on the Desire - i will happily settle for a mid-range device
  • You gotta love that chin!:yes:
Fair enough :p:
wizard710
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/23/h...perphone-armo/ <-- I want
~style
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by wizard710)
http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/23/h...perphone-armo/ <-- I want
Will the UK ever get this? Will HTC keep releasing awesome phones before I even decide on one? :mad:
wizard710
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Will the UK ever get this? Will HTC keep releasing awesome phones before I even decide on one? :mad:
I dunno but I just googled and found this http://www.broadbandsuppliers.co.uk/...te-until-2012/
miseducated
Report 8 years ago
Lord... I just upgraded to the Desire and now this comes out Will this come to the UK?
~style
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
By glancing at the Mobile Phones section it seems that this thread is a parent to many other threads on the page :smug:
Hasan
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Wow, I couldn't believe what I was reading when I saw it on Engadget. That phone is a beast.
mikeyd85
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I have another year on my contract still... I cannot wait to see what's out then! The Evo 4G looks awesome!
wizard710
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by mikeyd85)
I have another year on my contract still... I cannot wait to see what's out then! The Evo 4G looks awesome!
But read the other link as there are two problems. We don't have 4G wimax/LTE coverage and there was a news article a few months ago about the UK not getting LTE for a couple of years
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (173)
18.66%
No (561)
60.52%
Not really bothered about them (193)
20.82%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise