Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Disconfigured)
    Well, for me, since I'm one of the ones who is just about to get it, it was a case of 1) i've had my phone for over a year now, and i'm bored (it's an LG Cookie!), 2) i've had my eye on the Hero for months and I can finally get it on a very good contract and 3) the new phones, as nice as they will be, will be expensive and will more than likely come on expensive contracts also.

It's like saying, why bother getting a new phone now when next year there is gonna be better ones - yours will be outdated in a year - it's the same with every phone you get, within a year or two they're gonna be outdated anyway, so why bother getting one in the first place? :P

Hero has been out for how long now? Since last July? So in a couple months when all the newer versions come out, all the guys here who have had there's since last July, or since whenever really, will have an outdated phone which isn't going to be as good as the newer ones! Doesn't mean they should have waited a year to get the next best one!
    (I know that wasn't really your point, but there we go!)

Rant over. :woo:
    I had a cookie until a week ago, got a n95 to tide me over until I buy the HTC version of the nexus one (yeah I know they made that as well).

Anyway I'm familiar with the you'll wait until you're dead argument :P. However, my point was that the new phone seems to have such a major upgrade that it will be more than fine for a good year (probably more, but I'm being pessimistic) since it has the new "standard" 1ghz processor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Installation)
    I had a cookie until a week ago, got a n95 to tide me over until I buy the HTC version of the nexus one (yeah I know they made that as well).

Anyway I'm familiar with the you'll wait until you're dead argument :P. However, my point was that the new phone seems to have such a major upgrade that it will be more than fine for a good year (probably more, but I'm being pessimistic) since it has the new "standard" 1ghz processor.
    Good shout. It's pretty much identical hardware, but you get Sense UI with it. It's a winner in my book!

ReputationRep:

Aye I'm looking at this, meant to be out early second quarter, so shouldn't have to wait long. Two years of iPhone = want to claw eyes out.

Does Android have like threaded messaging and shizzle?

ReputationRep:

My Cookie is killing me at the moment it sucks.

I'm assuming you mean the Desire? It has a release date of April 12th - http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-...-for-uk-671146

It is a beaut, but I would probably be waiting a year after it's release before I could get it anyway! Think I'll stick with getting the Hero, then in a year, pay off my contract and get the latest!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaph)
    Aye I'm looking at this, meant to be out early second quarter, so shouldn't have to wait long. Two years of iPhone = want to claw eyes out.

Does Android have like threaded messaging and shizzle?
    It certainly does. In fact, there are a few different message handling apps, so you can customise your threads (colour, format, layout) to your heart's content.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ducklighter)
    How do you change which accounts you have on the Hero? Currently I'm using my personal account but I want to change it for another account for ucas etc.
    Set it to forward ucas emails to your personal account and then filter them so it applies a label saying like UCAS or something. Then you can set up this if you need to reply http://mail.google.com/support/bin/a...n&answer=22370

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizard710)
    Set it to forward ucas emails to your personal account and then filter them so it applies a label saying like UCAS or something. Then you can set up this if you need to reply http://mail.google.com/support/bin/a...n&answer=22370
    Thankks very much

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone tried out the Layar app? Looks immense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danielle_D)
    Augmented reality apps are cool in terms of concept, but I find little use in them.

Maybe if Google Buzz takes off I will enjoy them more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danielle_D)
    I have it but never tried it. I find that whenever i want to use it I am in a house

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carl)
    Anyone playing foursquare or Gowalla? Now 4sq is available everywhere I've signed up, but here in Cardiff there are only two spots to visit. Gowalla has loads of spots already in Cardiff, I think it's the one I'm going to stick with for the time being.

Gowalla is rather cool and has developed a lot now. Foursquare is no where near as a good but I guess it does the job.

ReputationRep:
    I've had this rom on my Hero for a few days and its awesome:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=622468

Unfortunately, there are a number of problems but they're easy to live with. It's Android 2.1 with Sense on top and it just as fast as the stock rom. The maps app has the turn by turn navigation, and it has the 3d gallery app which works really well. Only thing I miss is multitouch in the gallery and browser but its still a beta so you would expect that.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys! I've finally decided that the Android for me is the Motorola Milestone. My current contract ended in January, and despite not being able to get a Milestone in a Vodafone store, I know you can get them on a vodafone contract on carphone warehouse... why is this?

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I could do with some more applications. Getting rather bored of the stuff on my phone now

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I could do with some more applications. Getting rather bored of the stuff on my phone now
    I bought Tower Raiders last night. really really good Tower Defense game. I originally wanted to check it out then get a refund but I think I'm going to keep it as it's quite addictive.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I tried to buy an app the other day, then I realised (after having a hero for many months) that I can't buy apps from the US with my card...

ReputationRep:
    Almost everytime I try to access the marketplace, I almost always get a network error. It's so annoying, anyone else have this. Is there a way around it? I always have a strong wifi connection when It happens.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by biffyclyro27)
    Almost everytime I try to access the marketplace, I almost always get a network error. It's so annoying, anyone else have this. Is there a way around it? I always have a strong wifi connection when It happens.
    I had this a week or so ago. It seemed to fix itself.

ReputationRep:
    i think they've been updating the marketplace. i've seen a new featured apps thing underneath the category tabs at the top.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.