Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    I originally started this for mobile devices, simply as I had not the foresight to see Android going to set top boxes. It's all Android though!

I'm liking the way the market is grasping Android with both hands. You're getting mobile phones, PMPs, set top boxes all running Android now. It wouldn't surprise me if an Android based TV came out sometime, especially with all these TVs with integrated online services coming out. Hell, even my current TV runs a basic form of Linux for it's menus.
    Yeah, looking forward to that if it comes

ReputationRep:
    So, I'm thinking if getting the HTC Legend sometime (maybe in June). I've done a fair bit of research and come up with two options.

First, is getting it with Vodafone. However, I'm not too keen on the 24-month contract it was rumoured to come with (£25 p/m, 600 mins, unlimited texts, free insurance/cashback, and for £5 unlimited internet); plus the fact that it will come bundled with Vodafone 360 (which is apparently crap).

Second is to buy the phone for the £400 or so it costs from amazon and get a PAYG SIM from 3. If I top-up £25 every three months, I get unlimited texts (actually 3000 per month, due to fair usage), free 3-3 calls, and 150MB data. And if i use £5 per month from that top-up, I can get unlimited data. Not to mention the free Skype to Skype calls and Windows Messenger.

The Second option works out the same or cheaper over 24 months (£600 versus £600/£720). And I'd prefer my phone without whatever restrictions vodafone could put on it.

Or should i take option three: wait to see if it comes out on other networks.

Thanks...wuld really appreciate your opinions. I've been an android fan for a while, and this will be my first chance to get one!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lil' Flo)
    So, I'm thinking if getting the HTC Legend sometime (maybe in June). I've done a fair bit of research and come up with two options.

First, is getting it with Vodafone. However, I'm not too keen on the 24-month contract it was rumoured to come with (£25 p/m, 600 mins, unlimited texts, free insurance/cashback, and for £5 unlimited internet); plus the fact that it will come bundled with Vodafone 360 (which is apparently crap).

Second is to buy the phone for the £400 or so it costs from amazon and get a PAYG SIM from 3. If I top-up £25 every three months, I get unlimited texts (actually 3000 per month, due to fair usage), free 3-3 calls, and 150MB data. And if i use £5 per month from that top-up, I can get unlimited data. Not to mention the free Skype to Skype calls and Windows Messenger.

The Second option works out the same or cheaper over 24 months (£600 versus £600/£720). And I'd prefer my phone without whatever restrictions vodafone could put on it.

Or should i take option three: wait to see if it comes out on other networks.

Thanks...wuld really appreciate your opinions. I've been an android fan for a while, and this will be my first chance to get one!
    I agree with your choice in phone but yeah also heard vodaphone 360 is quite crap. I think if I were you I would wait and see because between now and june other phones will be released and also new deals may come about.

Best place to check is www.buymobilephones.net I got my Hero from there and they are really good. (I think I got my contract for about half the price of what was offered on the t-mobile site and didn't have to pay for the phone like T-mo were asking). Anyway back to the point, the legend isn't on there as it isn't out yet but keep checking it, they may have some cheap deals on the legend.

ReputationRep:
    Why would you get the Legend over the Desire?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by __WiZaRD__)
    Cos it is cheaper, admittedly the desire will probably last you the longest

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by __WiZaRD__)
    Because:
    • I like the Dream/Magic/Hero family and so I subsequently like the Legend
    • It's cheaper
    • It suits my needs. I don't need the extra specs on the Desire - i will happily settle for a mid-range device
    • You gotta love that chin!:yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lil' Flo)
    Because:
    • I like the Dream/Magic/Hero family and so I subsequently like the Legend
    • It's cheaper
    • It suits my needs. I don't need the extra specs on the Desire - i will happily settle for a mid-range device
    • You gotta love that chin!:yes:
    Fair enough :p:

ReputationRep:
    http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/23/h...perphone-armo/ <-- I want

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizard710)
    Will the UK ever get this? Will HTC keep releasing awesome phones before I even decide on one? :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~style)
    Will the UK ever get this? Will HTC keep releasing awesome phones before I even decide on one? :mad:
    I dunno but I just googled and found this http://www.broadbandsuppliers.co.uk/...te-until-2012/

ReputationRep:
    I want the Evo so much.

Seen an HD2 for the first time last week and I want that screen with Android on it.

ReputationRep:
    Lord... I just upgraded to the Desire and now this comes out Will this come to the UK?

ReputationRep:
    By glancing at the Mobile Phones section it seems that this thread is a parent to many other threads on the page :smug:

ReputationRep:
    Wow, I couldn't believe what I was reading when I saw it on Engadget. That phone is a beast.

ReputationRep:
    I have another year on my contract still... I cannot wait to see what's out then! The Evo 4G looks awesome!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    I have another year on my contract still... I cannot wait to see what's out then! The Evo 4G looks awesome!
    But read the other link as there are two problems. We don't have 4G wimax/LTE coverage and there was a news article a few months ago about the UK not getting LTE for a couple of years

ReputationRep:
    I think if the phones come to market the networks will be quicker in bringing the technology to market. We might miss out on the first generation of 4g phones, but if they take off then I can imagine Vodafone, O2, Orange and 3 will be quick to bring the technology out that will allow these phones to come to market.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carl)
    I think if the phones come to market the networks will be quicker in bringing the technology to market. We might miss out on the first generation of 4g phones, but if they take off then I can imagine Vodafone, O2, Orange and 3 will be quick to bring the technology out that will allow these phones to come to market.
    That is a good point and we can hope yeah

ReputationRep:
    But read the other link as there are two problems. We don't have 4G wimax/LTE coverage and there was a news article a few months ago about the UK not getting LTE for a couple of years
    and in a couple years my contract runs out.. perfect <3

ReputationRep:
    About time Android came to the HD2s screen
    Beautiful phone though. Apple are no longer the only innovators

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.