Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've just bought a Desire, it's awesome.

But is it worth rooting
    / what are the benefits?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dorian gray)

But is it worth rooting
    / what are the benefits?
    Other ROMs mainly but seeing as you already have 2.1 then I wouldn't have thought you would need it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dorian gray)

But is it worth rooting
    / what are the benefits?
    Of course it is! Can you imagine still working on windows 3.1 today? Just like Eclair, you'll want Froyo and then Gingerbread because it's software offerings will be improved.

But seeing as everyone is still waiting on 2.1 on the Hero, this is the very reason why you ought to root the bugger and install Apps2sd as well. If you don't root it, enjoy Eclair for the next year.....!

(Original post by wizard710)
    Other ROMs mainly but seeing as you already have 2.1 then I wouldn't have thought you would need it
    You do. New ROM's are already providing bettery battery life. Yes Please.

ReputationRep:
    New 3D Games by gameloft:

Gameloft introduced 10 new 3D games for Android.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxdZWhga0V

* Asphalt 5
    * Let’s Golf!
    * Assassin’s Creed
    * Real Football 2010
    * Gangstar: West Coast Hustle
    * Tom Clancy’s H.A.W.X.
    * Hero of Sparta
    * N.O.V.A. Near Orbit Vanguard Alliance
    * Modern Combat: Sandstorm
    * Dungeon Hunter

ReputationRep:
    My Seesmic keeps force closing. And recently just HTC Sense is force closing while I'm texting.. driving me insane! Phone seems to be getting slower again (Hero that is). My battery went down to 6 hours before needing to be charged, so managed to swap that for a brand new battery and it's good again. But still.. this phone is slowly driving me mad after 9 months.. it was good for the first 8!

Any news on when the 2.1 firmware is coming out? Hopefully that will fix a few of the problems.

ReputationRep:
    Yo
    So I just downloaded HandCent SMS, mainly because I wanted to know what time a message was sent (and the default doesn't do that, after a day.. it just says 'yesterday' or the date... booo!).
    But I don't like it. My messages are coming through twice, I don't like the layouts, it's slow loading
    The only things I do like are the being able to find out the date, and how it comes up with the quick reply option/box when a message comes through.

Anyone wanna like, refer me to a better SMS app or something? Is there an option with the default to have a quick reply box and is there a way to find out the times of messages?!
    Sorry, rambling. I just like to know when a message was sent the following day if I get it through after I've gone sleepies :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Disconfigured)
    Yo
    So I just downloaded HandCent SMS, mainly because I wanted to know what time a message was sent (and the default doesn't do that, after a day.. it just says 'yesterday' or the date... booo!).
    But I don't like it. My messages are coming through twice, I don't like the layouts, it's slow loading
    The only things I do like are the being able to find out the date, and how it comes up with the quick reply option/box when a message comes through.

Anyone wanna like, refer me to a better SMS app or something? Is there an option with the default to have a quick reply box and is there a way to find out the times of messages?!
    Sorry, rambling. I just like to know when a message was sent the following day if I get it through after I've gone sleepies :P
    I didn't like Handcent either, the default one lets you know the time, just hold down on the message and press 'details' or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zebrastripes)
    My Seesmic keeps force closing. And recently just HTC Sense is force closing while I'm texting.. driving me insane! Phone seems to be getting slower again (Hero that is). My battery went down to 6 hours before needing to be charged, so managed to swap that for a brand new battery and it's good again. But still.. this phone is slowly driving me mad after 9 months.. it was good for the first 8!

Any news on when the 2.1 firmware is coming out? Hopefully that will fix a few of the problems.
    You could always flash your phone with the most up to date ROM from the HTC website. This will speed your phone up again by clearing all your data. That, or Reset to Factory Default.

2.1 is slated for June, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Yo

You could always disable the notifications from the normal messaging app to get round this dual notification problem.

Regarding slow loading, overclock your phone. It's very quick on my Hero.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    You could always disable the notifications from the normal messaging app to get round this dual notification problem.

Try this idea ^^ took my a while to work it out but I love handcent

Some other links:
    Why I fell in love with android

Google I/O Live stream, tonight 5pm

Can anyone give me any reason not to get a Nexus One?
    I've done a fair bit of Googling and aside from the initial problems that were patched out I can't find anything negative about it.
    It'll be on Vodafone - I've no control over that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -WhySoSerious?)
    I didn't like Handcent either, the default one lets you know the time, just hold down on the message and press 'details' or something.
    It just says 'yesterday' when I do that

ReputationRep:

Never thought of that, I assume it's in the settings somewhere?

Overclocking hey.. sounds illegal to me

ReputationRep:
    It just says 'yesterday' when I do that
    oh crap yeah, that is odd. I always thought that worked.

ReputationRep:
    Never thought of that, I assume it's in the settings somewhere?

Overclocking hey.. sounds illegal to me
    Messages > Menu button > Settings > Untick notifications

Far from it. It makes the phone faster by allowing the processor to run at a faster speed. Perfectly legal - just requires a little...fiddling!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -WhySoSerious?)
    oh crap yeah, that is odd. I always thought that worked.
    Seeeeee, now see my problem?

Messages > Menu button > Settings > Untick notifications

Far from it. It makes the phone faster by allowing the processor to run at a faster speed. Perfectly legal - just requires a little...fiddling!
    Yeah, not sure I'm a big fan of fiddling.. If it were to say, go wrong, would my insurance cover it?

ReputationRep:
    Seeeeee, now see my problem?

Yeah, not sure I'm a big fan of fiddling.. If it were to say, go wrong, would my insurance cover it?
    If it goes wrong (it's all software) you just reflash the ROM you are on (for example with me it would be MCR 3.1) and the overclock will be gone

Mine has ****** up a few times but I just reflash the overclock kernal and sort it out in the app SetCPU (for some reason some Heros can go faster than others )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    If it goes wrong (it's all software) you just reflash the ROM you are on (for example with me it would be MCR 3.1) and the overclock will be gone

Mine has ****** up a few times but I just reflash the overclock kernal and sort it out in the app SetCPU (for some reason some Heros can go faster than others )
    Hmm.. sounds way to confusing for my little mind.
    Think I'll just delete my messages now and again My inbox is currently hosting around 3000-4000.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm.. sounds way to confusing for my little mind.
    Think I'll just delete my messages now and again My inbox is currently hosting around 3000-4000.
    "Delete old messages" in the Market. It's the only deleter I've found to not lag. Just leave it on over night, plugged in and it will trim you down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    "Delete old messages" in the Market. It's the only deleter I've found to not lag. Just leave it on over night, plugged in and it will trim you down.
    Okay, thanks
    so annoying doing it through the messaging thing, can't move off it else I have to restart

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Just got a new phone today (LG GW620) and was just wondering what the best app for emails is?? I'm used to a simple phone that I use for calling and texting so this is all new to me so sorry if I sound stupid!
    I seem to be having trouble connecting my hotmail account to the apps already on the phone. Managed to connect to an app just called 'Email', but the new emails I receive don't seem to be coming through, it just keeps adding old emails on to the list...
    If anyone can make any sense of this and maybe help me out it would be greatly appreciated! I just want an app where I'll get notified when I have a new email and then be able to read it.
    Thanks.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.