Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gooner88)
    Most popular right now is the HTC desire, and is probably the best too in my opinion.
    The main problem with the HTC Desire has to be the fact that it uses Sense UI on top of the operating system. Therefore, HTC is rather crap when it comes to providing its users with the latest update especially in terms of the time required to adapt Sense UI towards the update.

Look at the HTC Hero as an example, look how long it's taking them to adapt Sense UI for 2.1 on the Hero. I don't know whether it's a business sense but I'm worried that the Desire may be subject to this kind of problem when newer HTC Handsets appear on the market in 6-12 months time.

The Desire may be the most popular right now, but in my opinion the best Android Handset has to be the Nexus One since it doesn't use Sense UI, and is simply Android 2.1 untouched, and has only just received 2.2. Whereas, the Desire is now lagging behind, due to the Sense UI. Plus updates towards the Nexus One comes directly from Google rather than the actual company which built the device which is HTC, although they were simply told to make a device and to be sold by Google, as their flagship product.

Once my contract expires, I will probably look to purchase a device such as the Nexus One or even the Nexus Two if and when it does appear on the market. To me, Android untouched is definitely the way forward without the overlays e.g. Sense UI/Sony Ericssons Xperia.

ReputationRep:
    i do love my x10

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IcEmAn911)
    The main problem with the HTC Desire has to be the fact that it uses Sense UI on top of the operating system. Therefore, HTC is rather crap when it comes to providing its users with the latest update especially in terms of the time required to adapt Sense UI towards the update.

Look at the HTC Hero as an example, look how long it's taking them to adapt Sense UI for 2.1 on the Hero. I don't know whether it's a business sense but I'm worried that the Desire may be subject to this kind of problem when newer HTC Handsets appear on the market in 6-12 months time.

The Desire may be the most popular right now, but in my opinion the best Android Handset has to be the Nexus One since it doesn't use Sense UI, and is simply Android 2.1 untouched, and has only just received 2.2. Whereas, the Desire is now lagging behind, due to the Sense UI. Plus updates towards the Nexus One comes directly from Google rather than the actual company which built the device which is HTC, although they were simply told to make a device and to be sold by Google, as their flagship product.

Once my contract expires, I will probably look to purchase a device such as the Nexus One or even the Nexus Two if and when it does appear on the market. To me, Android untouched is definitely the way forward without the overlays e.g. Sense UI/Sony Ericssons Xperia.
    Yeah, I have been thinking this recently with a few of my friends asking about getting android phones. It is hard to recommend a skinned android phone when you know how long it takes to be updated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizard710)
    Yeah, I have been thinking this recently with a few of my friends asking about getting android phones. It is hard to recommend a skinned android phone when you know how long it takes to be updated
    When you make comparisons between the Nexus One and the HTC Desire the only real difference is the Sense UI, but specs-wise they're both pretty much the same.

ReputationRep:
    When you make comparisons between the Nexus One and the HTC Desire the only real difference is the Sense UI, but specs-wise they're both pretty much the same.
    And you can argue the benefits and drawbacks of having senseUI till the cows come home

ReputationRep:
    And you can argue the benefits and drawbacks of having senseUI till the cows come home
    For sure, *laughs*. I'm quite looking forward to the first Google TV stbs though and to see what they can really do Internet TV? PVR? Flash? Android phone as remote control?

There is so much potential for the Android at the moment, and I would love for more people to start to recognise it as a real alternative to the Apple iPhone. I absolutely hate the number of people (including some of my friends) who believe that the iPhone is the only choice out there.

Sorry, for turning this into a bit of a rant.

Anyway, without any overlays such as SenseUI it can create less of an issue when upgrading an OS. I know this is a bad comparison, but you don't see Microsoft Windows having some sort of overlay on top made by Dell. Then you can argue that smartphones are becoming a bit more like a computer nowadays especially with CPU's, GFX Cards (Tegra), OS, Ram/Rom, and the ability to mimic what can be done on a computer.

Maybe it's best for manufacturers such as HTC and Samsung to concentrate on designing the handset and the hardware which comes with it, and for Google to provide support for the operating system. Look at Samsung and how terrible they can be when providing updates with the prime example being the Samsung Behold II, whereby customers were promised 2.1 but instead the company has recently announced that the device will only be updated to 1.6! Even though the upcoming Samsung Galaxy S is an amazing phone, there are people who will not purchase it because of the fact that Samsung are terrible when it comes to providing updates for their devices.

http://www.cnet.com/8301-19736_1-20006258-251.html

ReputationRep:
    For sure, *laughs*. I'm quite looking forward to the first Google TV stbs though and to see what they can really do Internet TV? PVR? Flash? Android phone as remote control?

There is so much potential for the Android at the moment, and I would love for more people to start to recognise it as a real alternative to the Apple iPhone. I absolutely hate the number of people (including some of my friends) who believe that the iPhone is the only choice out there.

Sorry, for turning this into a bit of a rant.

Anyway, without any overlays such as SenseUI it can create less of an issue when upgrading an OS. I know this is a bad comparison, but you don't see Microsoft Windows having some sort of overlay on top made by Dell. Then you can argue that smartphones are becoming a bit more like a computer nowadays especially with CPU's, GFX Cards (Tegra), OS, Ram/Rom, and the ability to mimic what can be done on a computer.

Maybe it's best for manufacturers such as HTC and Samsung to concentrate on designing the handset and the hardware which comes with it, and for Google provide support for the operating system. Look at Samsung and how terrible they can be when providing updates with the prime example being the Samsung Behold II where customers are promised 2.1 but instead the company will only bring out an update for 1.6.

http://www.cnet.com/8301-19736_1-20006258-251.html
    And something not to forget about skinning is it is fine for us who understand the different ones such as SenseUI and motoblur but it makes it more difficult when you try and tell a non-techie that My HTC Hero runs the same software as the droid (Barring updates) because most people would say that they don't because they don't look the same

ReputationRep:

Look at the HTC Hero as an example, look how long it's taking them to adapt Sense UI for 2.1 on the Hero.
    The argument you have used here has become invalidated by revised procedure at HTC.

The Hero has each language released as it's own SKU. Therefore, when releasing worldwide simultaneously, you must wait for each SKU to be validated and tested. Makes sense.

Since the Hero, each phone has had one SKU for the whole planet, changing only the language pack of the phone where needed. This means the update process can be done a lot quicker.

IRT to bringing Sense UI to 2.1... it's not actually that difficult. The predominant issue is going to be running it with JIT enabled.

ReputationRep:
    fapfapfapfapfapfap

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    fapfapfapfapfapfap
    1080p encode/decode? Yes please!

ReputationRep:
    Which is the best keyboard to be using on Android phones?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sephiroth)
    Which is the best keyboard to be using on Android phones?
    I'm using swype which is ok to send quick text messages but when I want to write long detailed posts I found myself going back to the normal keyboard. When my phone gets 2.1 I am going to get this though http://phandroid.com/2010/03/23/thic...d-alternative/

ReputationRep:
    I currently use TouchPal which is one of the ones that came pre-installed. It annoys me that there's no apostrophe on the main keyboard view.

The one you linked looks good but I'm not sure I'd get used to the changing widths and I didn't see an apostrophe button there either. Do these keyboard makers think everyone uses "txt spk"? lol.

Swype looks interesting but I figure words that look similar may have issues.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sephiroth)
    I currently use TouchPal which is one of the ones that came pre-installed. It annoys me that there's no apostrophe on the main keyboard view.

The one you linked looks good but I'm not sure I'd get used to the changing widths and I didn't see an apostrophe button there either. Do these keyboard makers think everyone uses "txt spk"? lol.

Swype looks interesting but I figure words that look similar may have issues.
    Thing with swype I found is I don't think off all the letters in a word when I start to type it and being able to touch type I know where the keys are on the keyboard and press them without really thinking about it. So that means I start swyping a word and get halfway through and think what letter comes next and where is it on the keyboard. As a result I just end up drawing random squiggles on the keyboard which is ok for a quick "where are you" but when I want to write a lengthy blog post then it gets a bit more time consuming.

ReputationRep:
    Guys, it's June.
    2.1 is drawing ever nearer

ReputationRep:
    ^it's not drawing nearer for those of us who already have it! Get with the programme!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Disconfigured)
    Guys, it's June.
    2.1 is drawing ever nearer
    I thought that today. We will wait and see

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carl)
    ^it's not drawing nearer for those of us who already have it! Get with the programme!
    That's abit.. mean..

I thought that today. We will wait and see

Great minds think alike, no?

ReputationRep:
    I just want a 2.1 MCR

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    I just want a 2.1 MCR
    What's wrong with Cronos 1.5?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.